ANNOUNCEMENT: Doom Patrol Season 3 Confirmed!

Can you site an official source saying DC Universe is going? Because the moderators have told us the app isn’t going anywhere. It might transition to comics-only but that’s not the same as getting rid of it. Even this week during Fandome Jim Lee said an announcement about the “exciting future of DC Universe” would be coming shortly. If they were getting rid of the app, that phrasing would’ve have been used.

So if you have some sort of official source or a press release or information from a reputable news outlet saying different, I’d love to see it.

6 Likes

what

Happy DCU anniversary @daleian. :grinning: :confetti_ball:

3 Likes

Couldn’t be happier! I need this show in my life!!!

2 Likes

Thank you.

2 Likes

THANK YOU! Couldn’t have said it better!

1 Like

It’s not going anywhere just the video content over to HBOMaX. Jim lee will be making another announcement soon on the Future Of DCU and he used the Word “Exciting” … Hardly Believe he’d use that word if the App was going away!:joy:

3 Likes

The rewards program was always set to end in September, that at least, isn’t new news.

4 Likes

Too bad everything that was suppost to be an “original” is leaving

3 Likes

It ain’t gone yet. I say enjoy it while it’s here! :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

There are rights issues with Vertigo. Creators had really generous contracts at one point - Brian K. Vaughn made so much money off owning most/all of Y: The Last Man (and still does), he basically never needs to work again. Some WB executive found out just how favorable the contracts were, and told Paul Levitz to cut it out. That’s when Vertigo fell off a cliff - when creators had the same deal they got if they worked on a DC title. Everyone took their best creative pitches to Image.

For all the creators that had that type of contract, they would need to be paid for the content to be on here. Geoff Johns doesn’t see an extra dime if you read “Infinite Crisis” on here, but Azzarello and Risso need a check if you want to read “100 Bullets.” And they would need to agree to it.

Zero chance you will ever see most Vertigo on any service like this.

2 Likes

Thank you God! Finally some good news for this month

2 Likes
Dont care what service it's on, as long we get a season 3. Hopefully the show will only get better with its budget constraints loosened. DCU/Warner was already borrowing money and cutting deals with HBO  and Netflix to finish their live action shows, this will serve the cast, crew, and audience well.

I see alot of people feeling betrayed by the move. People seem to be taking it very personally, as if they had an actual relationship with this app, or that the company is supposed to take their feelings into account before making business decisions. The portion of DC Fandom that is willing to pay a subscription service doesnt create enough revenue to sustain a level of quality for multiple live-action shows. Not to mention the service is limited to the USA.
So, on behalf of DC Warner: “Its not you, you’re great. You’re really special and I appreciate you. The timing just isnt right. I cant lead the life I want to when I’m in this constrained situation. I need to find a partner that can lend me the support I need right now. We’ll always have the comics section… Always and Forever, DCU​:kiss:

4 Likes

This is important, and everybody should realize that (for any service), you should always re-evaluate how much value it’s adding to your life (on all the scales you care about) and compare it to the price. “I signed up believing…” is irrelevant to everyone but you. “I use these aspects of the services regularly and wouldn’t pay more than X, given these alternatives” is something you can bring to a manager.

On the other hand, people would certainly be more excited here after such an announcement than they would be before. It wouldn’t be a good kind of excitement, but…

2 Likes

I agree. I find it crazy that even if they remove the tv/movie stuff (which I didn’t watch except for Doom Patrol), they would still have a larger backlog than Marvel, better quality scans than Marvel Unlimited (as DCU uses the ones given to Comixology, also), and still cheaper than Marvel Unlimited.
If Marvel Unlimited can survive this long with about the same level of content, less quality scans and costing more…
Shouldn’t DCU do just as well, if not better?

When WB decides to remove the tv/movies and focus the app solely on comics, there’s a few things they should do:

1. Advertise the crap out of it. DCU’s main problem has been the mixed signals it sent out during the first year of its existence. It was promoted as mainly a video app, with comics as a garnish. Until people started reacting negatively due to the lack of the CW shows (which they couldn’t get access to) and the DCEU movies (which were under contract to HBO).
    So, WB decides to compensate by adding the full library of digital comics (sans Vertigo) to the app. This was a good idea, but the audience that signed up initially didn’t sign up for comics.
    Meanwhile, there are people out there that would sign up just for the comics, but they didn’t know there were comics on here. It’s possible they tried the app when it first launched and left it because back then, there really wasn’t many comics on here.

So, WB needs to advertise DCU for what it is, and what they want it to be going forward. Clear the confusion.

1. More effort into digitizing the backlog. This is something that DC/WB has the most control over, leaving DCU pretty much at their mercy. The comics that come here each week are the same ones being digitized for Comixology.
    But it’s only like 8 comics a week.
    For a fictional universe that’s been around for over 80 years, 8 comics a week just barely scratches the surface.
    I’m guessing WB/DC don’t want their weekly output of backlog titles to exceed the number of new titles each week, out of fear that the new stuff would get crowded out or readers would throw their money on the cheaper back issues instead of buying the $4 or $5 books.

Nevertheless, they need to increase the backlog digitizing content.

1. Add Vertigo. If they make it a $2 add-on to have access to all the Vertigo and Black Label titles, that would make it the same price as Marvel Unlimited and add so much more. At least another 40 years of comics.
    I know I wouldn’t mind paying a Marvel price to get both DCU and Vertigo.
6 Likes

They could still give us some Black Label though! :+1:

3 Likes

1 Like

I feel ya

1 Like

That’s great! I look forward to it and young justice.

2 Likes

Fuk yaa