Anyone think Cartoon Network just hates action cartoons and anime?

Given how they treated Young Justice, and the rest of DC Nation, as well as how anime is only shown on Adult Swim (and Pokemon moved to Disney XD), and that every show is more kiddy, tame, slice of life, blandly drawn, and how they ruined ThunderCats, it really seems like they do. Not surprising to me since Christina Miller used to work for Hit Entertainment, the company preschool junk like Angelina Ballerina, Thomas the Tank Engine and Barney the Dinosaur. Thoughts?

3 Likes

The argument they brought up was that action cartoons weren’t selling on tv, those fans would instead by action videogames. That’s why they decided to focus on more kid friendly comedies.

I personally disagree.

3 Likes

Then that shows how idiotic CN truly is

2 Likes

Agreed. Every show on CN looks the same. The company would have to do a hard reboot to regain any confidence, or my money on products, from me.

1 Like

They had a change in management years back, and new management was strongly in preference of goofy and silly shows over the action oriented ones. Hence what CN has largely been over the last few years, why JLA didn’t get alot of hype, etc.

3 Likes

The toys didn’t sell. An unfortunate reality of children’s tv (That may be changing) is that they live and die by their toy sales. If the toys don’t sell, the network views the show as unprofitable, even if it has good ratings. That’s what happened to YJ on CN. The anime-style Thundercats of the early 2000s also died due to this, even more so because the company that made the toys just phoned it in; they were super cheap and fell apart really easily. It’s even the thing the creators credit for killing Gargoyles back in the day.

1 Like

I think the channel is just trying to evolve and keep up with the trend of corny, more light hearted shows. Kids now also seem to have shorter attention spans because now for most of their shows a full episode is just 5-10 minutes long. Yet, they play the same shows and even the same episodes all day, everyday. Last I checked they did still have some DC related shows, like DC’s Superhero Girls (not sure if that is still on that channel) and Teen Titans Go. But TTG is dumbed down to appeal to the latest generation of kids with cheap laughs.

2 Likes