Are Comics Pictures Books?

I had someone angry at me for calling them picture books, apparently it showed my true colors for what I think of comic books.

4 Likes

Technically, they are picture books, but the term “picture books” connotes books written for early readers. I can see why someone would object to classifying Arkham Asylum alongside Fun with Dick and Jane.

7 Likes

Well isn’t that like saying Spongebob isn’t anime just because it’s for kids? There are lots of anime for kid, I had a Japanese friend who consider spongebob an anime.

3 Likes

Well, it’s technically anime in the sense that “anime” is the Japanese word for anything animated, but again, the connotation in English is an animated film or series made in Japan.

7 Likes

I think DC should spend more time getting kids comics into schools and pitching them as more mature picture books. They are a way to transition people from Picture Books to Chapter books, but while keeping the pictures.

6 Likes

Soo…cartoon and animes are the same thing?

2 Likes

Oh, another things. Cartoons are often looked at something for kids like picture books, but that doesn’t mean metalocalypse is as child friendly as Go diego go.

2 Likes

In Japan, yes. Otherwise, not really. All anime falls under the broad category of “cartoon,” but not vice versa. English speakers have no reason to use the Japanese word when referring to a non-Japanese cartoon. (That said, “cartoon” often carries a derisive connotation in the United States.)

5 Likes

I guess you can say that. Cause it’s really true.:slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

It’s pretty much the “hot dog is a sandwich” argument, though.

5 Likes

:thinking: Good point.

3 Likes

No anime is short for Japanimation…and there are anime out there like bio booster armor guyver or x1999 that are NOT SUTIBLE FOR KIDS(he says a bit hypocritically as he watched them as a kid) well shows like dragon ball or Astroboy are suitable for kids. well cartoons…are written in the US or Europe for a younger audience and include things like The lion king, rugrats and batman the animated series. then you have adult animation is for older audiences and are things like Batman hush, superman doomsday Justice leauge dark: AW.

2 Likes

comics have a different layout then a picture book. my copy of the craft of the Japanese Sword or a Study of the Eastern Sword could both be considered a picture books, but my copy of Batman Annual Number 5 is a comic yet a copy of the Batman Character Encyclopedia would be a picture book,

3 Likes

Same with high school and middle school, I remember writers would come to my schools and talk about their books and a lot of people checked them out. Would be cool to have Geoff John’s or Scott synder go to a school and talk about their comics.

1 Like

So what you’re saying we shouldn’t call spongebob, family guy, and King of the Hill anime?

1 Like

But do you consider anime and cartoons the same thing?

1 Like

What if they’re all picture books???

1 Like

Those three are definitely not anime. the main difference between cartoon and anime tend to be the drawing styles if that makes sense at least until around the 2000’s.

2 Likes

Oh I’m sorry but King of the Hill is best anime. :face_with_symbols_over_mouth:

Ok, if art style is what separates it, what about Ben 10, Generator rex, Avatar TLA, and Teen titans?

1 Like

Need to admit i was not a fan of King of the Hill.
:flushed: I was overthinking the topic a bit. the easiest way to tell if it’s anime or cartoon is where the country of origin is if it’s Japan then it’s anime if it’s anywhere else it’s a cartoon.

1 Like