This is the one where Legends of Tomorrow airs its penultimate episode of the season. Before taking on the Fates in a battle for humanity’s destiny, the Legends had to escape the world of parody TV as we got the show’s interesting takes on Friends, Downton Abbey and Star Trek. Though this episode was packed with plenty of typical Legends hilarity, there was also a ton of heartfelt emotion to go around, along with the return of Mona Wu and Zari 1.0!
Since we’ve only got one episode to discuss this week, @ImpulseMaxMercury and I have also combined forces as the Arrowverse starts to close the door on 2020. Along with my usual discussion questions, you’ll also find the weekly Legendary Island of Misfits list of observations. It’s maximum Legends to close out the season!
Legends of Tomorrow – “The One Where We’re Trapped on TV”
- Now that Zaris 1.0 and 2.0 have been separated into two different people, do you see them staying like this indefinitely, or do you think this will just be a temporary change?
- With Constantine initially willing to stay in the TV world to maintain Astra’s happiness, how do you see this decision affecting their relationship going forward?
- Aside from the ones they did, what other show would you most want to see the Legends parody?
Take it away, @ImpulseMaxMercury:
“The One Where We’re Trapped on TV”
Welcome back my Legendary Island of Misfits! This one was so jam-packed with pop culture goodies that I had a hard time narrowing my list down. Here’s my attempt!
- I like that they have Mona, the new Rebecca Silver, be a writer for the Historical Sanitation Department. I enjoyed the return of her character this week.
- I like that the Fates thought of Mona and Gary as such low-level threats that they didn’t trap them like the other Legends, but they were ultimately the ones to try to save the day. Once a Legend, always a Legend.
- I know some of us working wish that our bosses would give us a mandatory recreation period.
- Anyone else get a Hunger Games or 1984 feel with the way the Fates are always watching and trying to get everyone to relinquish free will?
- Even the opening changed to look like wartime propaganda for the Fates.
- Speaking of 1984, anyone think of the slop on Big Brother for the mush?
- What is the subscription rate for Fate+?
- Behrad: “I’m back!” Yes you are, in more ways than one.
- Did they get the old Friends apartment for Ultimate Buds? Does this make Nate Joey since he’s an actor?
- Nate tried out for the part of a vigilante like Robin of Locksley in Starling City. Mmmm, sounds dumb. Love it! Kick a show while it’s no longer around.
- Enjoyed having an episode with Zari 1.0 in most of it, although Zari 2.0 has been growing on me.
- I teared up at the reunion of Zari 1.0 and Behrad.
- “Did you eat like an entire Behrad brownie?” Hmmm…
- The door they never thought to go through…was it the same one Monica hid all her junk in so she could appear neat?
- John cleaned up nice for Highcastle Abbey.
- The way they found each other and traveled from show to show reminded me of the movie Stay Tuned with John Ritter and Pam Dawber. Great movie!
- It’s good to see that Astra got her mom back until we find out that it’s not really her mom, just a character on the show. Fate would not be so kind.
- Fancy mush is blue mush. Good to know.
- John Constantine, self-proclaimed nasty piece of work, is a butler.
- Love that Behrad convinces Astra to leave because she is a diva!
- Heck, even the credits showing that it was a Clotho production evokes retro TV.
- “Wouldn’t it more logical to attack the warship before it attacks us?”
“By that logic we would attack every ship we encountered.”
- In the Fatal Frontier on the USS Faterider to find disobedient life forms and blow them up with lasers.
- The effects seem to fit right in with Legends.
- Anyone else notice the original Star Trek was on a five-year mission and this year is the fifth season of Legends?
- I know this is parodying the original series, but the Borg would fit in perfectly with their “Resistance is futile” quote.
- Caity out-Shatnered the original.
- “There’s no need to vocalize at that decibel. They’re androids.” Yes, but androids in bicycle shorts (supposed to be reflective of the miniskirts worn in original show?)
- Love the dynamic of two captains…co-captains for life
- “Lady adventurers in pantaloons.” Love how they didn’t make her arrogant but rather full of innocent wonder.
- Judging by their appearance, we are in a late and early 20th-century prison dimension.
- Welcome back to Mr. Parker’s Cul-De-Sac!
- I like that they think a sewer worker is bada$$.
- “Could there be such a profession as a firewoman?”
- “We are on public access. This is a career-killer!”
- Zari’s wisdom: “ You guys were heroes. But it’s not because you do magic or because you have superpowers. What makes you guys special, what makes us special, is that we’re just a bunch of misfits who are trying to make a difference.”
- “I remember our time with Behrad. I remember…both Zaris.”
- John would feel violated by being a butler.
- I like that Behrad asks, “Where’s my Zari?” Then John says, “You took the words out of my mouth, mate.” He does care for Z2
- I just pulled the plug on this crossover.
- I didn’t know there was another musical episode.
- “Mother fater!” I am going to use this from now on.
- Didn’t someone else snap their fingers to accomplish something?
- John’s original sin was giving away an innocent like Astra to bring back her mom.
- “If you’re happy here, then I will spend an eternity as ruddy Mr. Constantine, trying to make it up to you and Natalie.” Don’t get soft on me.
- Now we know Charlie’s plan was to let them live, but not really: “The Legends…they’re my friends. But my sisters wanted them dead, so I made a deal: Weave the Legends into our streaming service, where they help indoctrinate the masses, and…they could live.”
- Gary: “I always thought of you as punk rock Fate”. In another lifetime, Gary.
- You know I just realized that Mick is missing!
- Ava to Sara: “Out there we lost, but in here…we always win.”
- Sara to Ava: “Life is beautiful and terrible all at the same time. But if we’re only living part of it, then we’re not living at all.”
- Wrath of Dhan! Finally Mick! Gotta love the hair flip!
- Lita’s mom says he’s kinda hot.
- “What if the only way to get Charlie to set us free is…we have to lose.” Sounds like a Legends plan to me.
- When their shows were canceled, was that backstage for the Legends show?
- OK, now I am getting Truman Show vibes when everyone is watching the Legends on TV before they get canceled.
- Nice to see that Ultimate Buds is taped in front of a live studio audience.
- “Those imbeciles can’t do this. They’ll inspire an insurrection.” You don’t really know the Legends, do you?
- Nate: “I happen to like mush, but that’s not the point!”
- Ava: “It’s like a Zari clone. Totally get it.”
- I like the two Zaris going into the final episode. Makes sense to split her thread in two.
- Behrad: “You can’t bribe us into taking the blue pill.” Matrix reference!
- Mick wants out because Lita is still out there. Dad of the year!
- I was also reminded of the Supernatural episode where they were trapped in television shows such as Grey’s Anatomy where everyone repeated the word “Fine.” Hilarious!
- I cannot wait to see how they beat Fate in next week’s finale! Until next time, stay Legendary!