Aside From the Joker, Who Are Your Favorite Three Batman Adversaries?

Who are your favorite three Batman adversaries? What do you like about those characters?

Are there any particular comics, television or film adaptations of those villains you are especially fond of?

(I will post my answer as a response)

20 Likes

Pamela Isely/Poison Ivy was the first Batman villain I really enjoyed reading and watching. She is a very intelligent woman that is complex. She is a dynamic character that can be sinister while being sympathetic. Poison Ivy: Cycle of Life and Death by Amy Chu was a fantastic perspective on the character that painted her as more of a protagonist, but as a rival of Batman she is a very formidable foe and is one of his few primary rogues that isn’t criminally insane which really challenges Batman and his family to really think Detective Comics style.

Lazlo Valentin/Professor Pyg is another villain I love. He isn’t a classic rogue villain but he’s dastardly, maniacal and just plain scary. The character in some ways reminds me of Josef Mengele but he has a wicked sense of humor as well. He thinks big and is a man with a twisted plan. He is a great example of what a Gotham villain is. I loved his recent appearance in BATWOMAN #11!

Arnold Wesker/The Ventriloquist (Scarface) is perhaps my favorite Batman adversary. He’s a Criminal genius that suffers from dissociative identity disorder which manifests in a psychotic dummy named Scarface. What else could you want in a villain! Incredibly dynamic and complex. Brilliant, dark, sympathetic, funny and so much more. I especially love how he is depicted in the cartoons and I would love for him to be a serious villain in a Batman live action film! He adaptation was excellent in “The Batman” cartoon.

4 Likes

I really enjoy Frank Gorshin’s Riddler and Burgess Meredith’s Penguin. To me, those are the definitive versions of those characters. Gorshin’s maniacal laugh is just as iconic as any good Joker. Meredith’s “wagh” came from the fact that the smoke tickled his throat. He had given up smoking years before, but he smoked for the character because he was so devoted to the part, and he loved the role. I’m not sure about the 3rd favorite. I like a lot of them, but these two are always exciting to me.

7 Likes

Two Face, Riddler and Bane

3 Likes

Two Face and Mister Freeze. They are both amazing

3 Likes

Harley Quinn, cat woman, and poison ivy. His true weakness the ladies.

4 Likes

-Two-Face
-Catwoman
-Black Spider

3 Likes

Two-Face, Scarecrow, and it’s a tie between Riddler and Penguin

2 Likes

Two-Face, Catwoman, and Man-Bat

3 Likes

Bane, Two-Face and Scarecrow

2 Likes

The Penguin, Two-Face and The Riddler. :slight_smile: