Bad, Dad, Bad

Everyone wants to talk about good dads. Those simpering examples of do goodery lording their moral behavior and setting a good example for their heroic offspring. But, let’s hear it for the bad dads of DC. Those examples of avarice, scheming and general world conquering ambitions who set their kids on the wrong path. I want to recognize Lionel Luthor of Smallville. No late life epiphany can erase the wildly swinging from neglect to twisted manipulation parenting style you used to raise Lex. That poor bald kid never stood a chance.

5 Likes

Speaking of Lionel Luthor, how about another live action DC dad played by John Glover?

Pops Sivana in the Shazam! movie wasn’t on a LL level of fatherly poopyness, but he wasn’t Ward Cleaver or Jason Seaver by any means either.

ponders if Dr. Woodrue from Batman & Robin was a father

Man, can’t John Glover play a nice dad in a DC production for a change?

4 Likes

The professor who created the Supergirl clone Galeta in JLU. That is messed up. Kid gets no childhood at all. That’s a bad dad, no biscuit situation.

1 Like

ra’s al ghul for sure

1 Like

General Zod’s got a kid now and he’s raising him to be a little xenophobic, murderous tyrant.

Vroom, the twist for his next role, good dad.

1 Like

@nsgtv If John Glover ever gets cast as David Cain, we’ll know his agent is typecasting him.

Speaking of David Cain, he won’t be winning a Father of The Year award. Ever.

Slade is literally the worst.

Cain is a true turd of a dad. The Wiki entry says when attempts to train a child assassin fail he decides to create one himself. That’s where we get poor Cassandra. A historically reprehensible father.

Agreed.

We certainly pay for the sins of our father and we do have that monkey see, monkey do mentality as kids. Some things like mental disorders and anxiety are actually hereditary as well so.

1 Like

TRIGON
Not only did he seduce/rape Arella, he also detached Raven from her and then he had the gall to possess her friends into killing his own daughter. I would say that is a very bad dad.

Runner up: Worst surrogate dad:
Bruce Wayne. (E.g. Jason Todd, Barbara, and Damian) ~ well, you know the stories…

1 Like

Trigon is a craptastically appallingly bad dad. No card for him.

Slade
Ra’s
Darkseid
Trigon
David Cain
Nobody
Zod
Sportsmaster

These are in no particular order, but there’s way more bad dads( at least who get fleshed out as characters ) than good ones in DC. But that makes sense as it creates villains. If everyone was Pa Kent, there’d be no stories​:joy::four_leaf_clover:

1 Like

Hadn’t thought of Sportmaster. Does the comic version follow with the YJ version? That guys a jerk, but he was willing to kill Aqualad when he thought he had killed Artemis. Any dad points or that?

1 Like

@msgtv, I get the sense he cares for her, so points for that, but his methods are messed up​:joy::four_leaf_clover:

1 Like

Also Thal Sinestro and Cluemaster are bad dads. Jason Todd’s dad henched for Penguin. But on a positive note, for those who’ve read War Of Jokes And Riddles, Kite Man is actually a good dad, and I would read a limited series with him and his son just hangin out and growing mustaches together and whatnot🍀

2 Likes

Also Thal Sinestro and Cluemaster are bad dads. Jason Todd’s dad henched for Penguin. But on a positive note, for those who’ve read War Of Jokes And Riddles, Kite Man is actually a good dad, and I would read a limited series with him and his son just hangin out and growing mustaches together and whatnot🍀

Batman has raised all of his children to be child soldiers. Just figured I’d put that out there.

Though Cluemasters kid rebelled against his truly awful parenting to become a hero. Not the only example of Bad Dad terrible fathering back firing.

1 Like

There are some who, like Artemis become hero’s despite their upbringing, but I wouldn’t put Batman in the “bad dad” category. The only one who you could argue was “forced” to be Robin was Jason. And it would be flimsy at best. Bruce initially did not want Dick and Tim to be his partner. And look how they turned out. Dick is arguably the heart of the entire DCU, and lets be real, Bruce had no choice with Damian. In fact looking at Damian’s character development since joining Bruce, you could make a compelling argument Bruce is actually a very good father. After all, he had a great example in Alfred. Damian will always be snide and cocky, but he has truly grown to love his father and bad parenting doesn’t lead to love. Fear and loathing, but not actual love. And before anyone says, Jason died on his watch, and Damian killed Nobody: no parent can be there for every moment of a child’s life. “Don’t drink and drive”, but is dad at that frat party with you? Jason snuck off to find his mom and got blown up. Batman blames himself, and most of us would, but outside looking in, it’s not his fault. While not excusing Damian from breaking the no kill rule, he hadn’t been with Bruce very long or away from the influence of the League Of Assassins. A wise man once said, “no such thing as bad student, only bad teacher”. Given how far Damian has come, I’d say Batman is a good pappy🍀

2 Likes