Batgirl (2016-) #13

Batgirl (2016-) #13

The art in this issue is BEAUTIFUL! Both covers are gorgeous. This issue is a complete story with a beginning, middle, and end. I love that. I enjoy longer story arcs, but sometimes comics, they drag things for too long with a weak pay off. They work when you’re reading a trade or binge reading, but if I pick up a title monthly, not getting the end of the story until half a year to a year later is tiresome. I appreciate these single issue stories a lot when done well and this was done well. Esme is very likable. I would not be opposed to Batgirl picking up a sidekick. Batgirl’s right in not taking her on more adventures though. It is dangerous, especially if you’re running into people like Catwoman and she’s your ally in the mission. Catwoman’s goggles are so cool. Nice team up between these three. I loved the part about Esme’s mother. Esme may feel neglected by her, but Batgirl is right in letting her know how much her mom is doing for her and that she’s doing her best. Esme’s reaction to that is also really genuine and realistic. She promises to think about what Batgirl said, but doesn’t flip completely so quickly. It’s also adorable that Esme grows to like Batgirl and want to be friends with her, but she loves Barbara way more and respects her a lot. Barbara Gordon is important to Burnside.