Batgirl: Futures End (2014-) #1

Batgirl: Futures End (2014-) #1

Solid story and, to be honest, I felt it was a better ending for Gail Simone’s Barbara as a character than Batgirl #34. Don’t get me wrong, the end to the Knightfall arc was awesome, but with all Barbara’s been through in this run, deciding to live each day and fight through the pain is more compelling to me than “life’s back to being great! Yay!” I also like the group of Batgirls Barbara commands in this, and enjoyed the idea of Barbara infiltrating villain organizations, getting close to the leaders, and taking them down from within. Bane’s also pretty solidly written here. My only real nitpick is Barbara’s claim that she got so huge without the use of venom. Like, if she was pretty ripped I would have no qualm, but Barbara’s about the size of Bane here. I don’t think its’ very possible that Barbara or most of the human characters of the DC Universe could get that big unless they had no life and worked out all day every day. But, maybe that’s just me. Still a great issue, although it technically doesn’t exist anymore in the DC canon.