Best Comic Book Ever?

Rover Red Charlie:
Garth Ennis — the creator of Preacher and Crossed — delivers a story like no other, as an unlikely band of canines set out to survive in a world gone horribly mad. When a worldwide plague wipes out humanity, what happens to man’s best friend? Charlie was a helper dog and he was good at it. Now he and his friends Rover and Red must escape the bloody city and find their way in this strange, master-less new world.

1 Like

My favorite is Mister Miracle. The best is probably, admittedly Watchmen, at least on a craft level, but it’s not really my thing.

2 Likes

The “Worst comic book ever?” thread got bumped, so it only seems fair that the “Best comic book ever?” thread should get bumped as well. To be honest, I don’t feel comfortable making a personal selection; I don’t believe I’ve read enough comics yet to adequately assess which one may be the best. However, I’ve compiled a list of comics published by DC and its various imprints that I’ve repeatedly seen mentioned on various best-of lists, videos and posts, such that they may be considered to be the best, universally acclaimed, important or influential, good for new readers, or just frequently mentioned as people’s personal favorites. Looking over the list, it’s astonishing to see just how many of the considered-to-be-best comics ever DC alone has been responsible for. Hopefully, this list will be helpful to those looking for something good to read.

If the comic is available on DC Universe, I’ve provided a link to the page. Otherwise, the link goes to Comic Vine. Please let me know if you think any title shouldn’t be on this list, or if I’ve left any off that should have been included. I’m sure it’s woefully incomplete.

DC
All-Star Superman
Arkham Asylum: A Serious House on Serious Earth
Batman: Hush
Batman: The Court of Owls
Batman: The Dark Knight Returns
Batman: The Killing Joke
Batman: The Long Halloween
Batman: Year One
Crisis on Infinite Earths
DC: The New Frontier
Gotham Central
Hitman
Kingdom Come
Mister Miracle (2017)
The New Teen Titans (Wolfman/Pérez run)
Starman (1994)
Superman: Red Son
V for Vendetta
Watchmen

DC/Vertigo
Animal Man (Grant Morrison’s run)
Doom Patrol (Grant Morrison’s run)
The Sandman (1989)
Swamp Thing (Alan Moore’s run)

Vertigo
Astro City
Daytripper
Fables
A History of Violence
Preacher
Road to Perdition
Transmetropolitan
The Unwritten
Y: The Last Man

Wildstorm
The Authority
Ex Machina
Planetary

America’s Best Comics
The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen
Promethea
Terra Obscura
Tom Strong
Top 10

3 Likes

I think they’re saying it because of how important it is to the dc multiverse, I thought the story was ok but I can see why it’s so important to dc

Very hard question, but if pushed I would say The Great Darkness Rising Darkseid/Legion storyline is my fav-but also have love for Zero Hour, The Dark Phoenix Saga, Death in the Family, Death of Daredevil…could go on for hours

1 Like

Almost everything good is listed at this point. I like some stuff (that most consider “okay”) because of the way I personally relate to the work (Azrael by O’Neil) so I don’t recommend those titles, but universal acclaim… I have to recommend The Great Darkness Saga.

2 Likes

For an actual “in book” run (aka not a mini or maxi series) no doubt that “The Great Darkness Saga” tops my list.

2 Likes

Worst DC/Marvel/Other

All Star Batman and Robin: The Boy Wonder
Heroes in Crisis
New 52 Superman
Dark Knight Strike Again
Identity Crisis
Superman by Bendis
Border Town
Spider Man: One More Day
Spider Man: Sins Past
The Ultimates: The issue were Scarlett Witch and Quicksilver have sex in the forest
Marvel: Heroes Reborn
Marville
The Life of Captain Marvel

Best DC/Marvel/Other

Watchmen
Saga of the Swamp Thing
Kingdom Come
The New Frountier
Mister Miracle
The Sandman
Black Orchid
Walking Dead
Doom Patrol by Grant Morrison
Animal Man by Grant Morrison
Spider Man: Life Story
Saga
Hellboy
Umbrella Acadamy
Batman by Scott Snyder
The New Teen Titans
Arkham Asylum: A Serious House on Serious Earth
Wonder Woman by George Perz
Superman by Peter J Tomasi
Whatever Happened to the Man of Tommorrow
V for Vendetta
Dark Knight Returns
Batman The Black Mirror
Superman: Peace on Earth
All Star Superman
The Long Halloween
American Vampire
Y the Last Man
Invincible
The Infinity Gauntlet
Planet/World War Hulk
Thor by Jason Aaron
Captain America by Ed Brubaker
Ms Marvel by Willow Wilson
Spider Man Blue
Daredevil Yellow
Daredevil by Frank Miller
Daredevil by Bendis
The Vision
Hawkeye by Matt Fraction
Immortal Hulk
Planetary
The Flash by Mark Waid
Marvels
Promethia
For The Man Who Has Everything
Fun Home
30 Days of Night
Perceplois

Best Comic Marvel: Spider Man: Life Story

Worst Comic Marvel: Spider Man Sins Past

Best Comic DC: The Sandman

Worst Comic DC: Heroes in Crisis

Best Other: Tie between Saga and Invincible

1 Like

I can only comment on what I’ve read.

For DC:

As a series, my favorite is probably DC’s The Shadow Strikes.

“Shaman”, the first arc of Legends of the Dark Knight, is severely underrated.

Geoff Johns’ Green Lantern: Rebirth is the only GL I’ve read but I thought it was great.

Batman: TDKR, Year One, Gotham by Gaslight.

Most of the Wolfman/Perez run of New Teen Titans

And I love the pulpy early Batman stories. Matt Wagner’s retellings of The Monster Men and The Mad Monk are pretty cool, too.

For Marvel, I enjoy Claremont’s run on X-Men/Wolverine (with Miller for that last one).

I also loved their Savage Sword of Conan.

The first volume of Ms. Marvel took me by surprise in how much I loved it.

Outside of the big two, I love Hellboy, The Amazing Screw-On Head (let’s just say almost anything by Mignola, he’s one of my favorite artists), as well as Dave Stevens’ Rocketeer and Steve Purcell’s Sam and Max. Dark Horse also put out some damned good Star Wars comics in the 90’s- my favorites were the Rogue Squadron ones.

For those I’m less hot on, I feel like I’m somehow a dummy for saying it, but I’ve yet to fall in love with anything Grant Morrison (I’ve only read a bit of his Batman work- AA, Gothic, and his longer run from this century) or Alan Moore (I’ve read Watchmen, V for Vendetta, and Killing Joke) wrote. There’s usually aspects I like but it always feels like they’re trying too hard to please a nonexistent audience of people that turn up their nose at comics. On the other hand, I don’t think I’ve enjoyed anything I’ve read that Jim Starlin has written for DC or Marvel.

Also, Ultimatum was such a disaster I didn’t read Marvel again for about five years.

Every once in a while I go through old threads that I have commented on and reread them. Thinking about my response at the time was probably because I recently read Rover Red Charlie and it blew me away.

But there is no way I can ponder this now and come up with one answer like that. Was I being lazy? There is no possible one answer when I have probably read over 30,000 comics in my life. And does the question apply to just one comic?
The majority of comics released for decades now are story arcs pretty much thanks to Marvel comics(I can only right now think of Captain Marvel’s Monster Society Of Evil that spanned 2 years)

I see several members put together lists of their favorite comics. While It would take me the better part of the rest month racking my brains I’ll post a few here and there and bring this thread back to life.

1-Single issue-Flash #174, November, 1967.

Stupendous Triumph of the Six Super-Villains!"

The Mirror Master discovers a parallel world in which the Flash is a villain and the Mirror Master of that world is a hero. When the rest of the Rogues’ Gallery break out of jail, he vows to turn that to their advantage in their duel with the Flash.

2-Short Storyline- " The Galactus Trilogy " is a 1966 three-issue comic book story arc that appeared in Fantastic Four #48-50. Written, plotted and drawn by Jack Kirby and Stan Lee for Marvel Comics, it introduced the characters Galactus and the Silver Surfer. In 2018, The Atlantic called it “the indisputable pinnacle of the so-called Silver Age of comic books”.[1]

3-Long storyline- Alan Moore’s Supreme.
What if DC gave Alan Moore free reign on Superman?
Well, Rob Liefeld did in his Superman Knock off Supreme.
And boy did Moore deliver.
No one understands superheroes better than Moore. This collection won him the 1997 Eisner Award for Best Writer, and shows he can still find fresh things to say about the nature of comic book superheroes. Supreme began life as an exceptionally violent Superman rip-off. Moore took over in 1996, jettisoning everything except Supreme’s blond, muscular good looks and turning a copycat into an ingenious homage to the Superman archetype. This clever work retells the history of superhero comic books as reflected through Moore’s retro drawings and superheroes modeled on characters and narrative styles from the 1930s to today. Suffering from amnesia, Supreme has returned to Earth, but must also return to his roots-his smalltown family, allies and bombastic enemies-to discover his origins. In his everyday identity, he’s a mild-mannered comic book artist who draws a line of violent superheroes. As Supreme investigates his past, readers are treated to a delightful series of tongue-in-cheek flashbacks to revised versions of the Golden and Silver eras of comics. Supreme grows up in Little Haven, rather than Smallville; lives in Omegapolis, instead of Metropolis; and convenes meetings of the Allied Supermen, rather than the Justice League of America. Moore weaves a complex plot that leads to a startling, ingenious climax. He also offers his characters and readers moments of poignant self-discovery. In his superhero masterpiece Watchmen, Moore stressed the dangers of identifying with comic book heroes. This work is a much kinder look at the form, done with wit, intelligence and love.

Following last year’s Supreme: The Story of the Year, here are the remaining stories in Moore’s provocative reinvention of Rob Liefeld’s mediocre superhero. The story doesn’t feel as complete as the earlier saga, since Liefeld’s company collapsed before Moore’s last two scripts in this plot arc could be illustrated and published, but it’s still remarkable. With hulking blond Supreme now in full possession of his pals, toys and mortal enemies, Moore is free to explore the existence of a comics superhero who possesses superhuman powers but who can be “revised” without warning by inept human publishers who want to exploit a fad. Comics are bigger than that, Moore suggests. There’s something wonderful about how humans keep extending our imaginations beyond our everyday needs. There’s also something absurd about the ways we childishly fumble when we try to imagine superhuman characters, and Moore is skilled at writing underplayed, deadpan comedy. Supreme is smart but na‹ve and dim in his personal relationships. But he’s learning. Moore also deftly exploits opportunities for outrageous farce. Like all great humor, though, Supreme concerns serious subjects. Moore has always been obsessed by how we try to escape reality’s constraints by imagining superheroes-by what that does for readers and what it does to them. The results are both ridiculous and hopeful, and Moore (assisted by a talented crew of artists) is smart and creative enough to effectively work out his ideas. It’s even ironically appropriate that the story ends unfinished, since it illustrates how the grubby real world interferes with comics creators’ imagination.

Well that’s all till tomorrow.
Hope to see some other members picks for favorite comics.

It varies a bit but:

Best short story: Last Daughters
Best event: New Krypton
Best elseworld: Gotham City Garage
Best childrens book: Out of the Bottle
Best moment: Kara’s takedown of the anti-monitor in Into the Silent Night
Best dialogue: Should old aqcuiantance be forgot.