Best DC Creation to Come out of the 2010's

With just a little under five months left in the year, and therefore the decade, it’s probably a good time (or will be soon) to look back on the 2010’s through the lens of DC. From the premiere of Young Justice, to the introduction of new characters like Jon Kent and Bluebird, to the start (and then conclusion of) the New 52, to the creation of this platform itself. What’s your favorite DC moments from the past decade?

Personally, I’ve loved Doomsday Clock so far, and you can’t go wrong with Court of Owls. What else can you guys think of?

2 Likes

The dark knight rises is up there

1 Like

Tom King’s Mister Miracle takes the cake easily for me.

1 Like

I’m old school, so I love Batman: Return of the Caped Crusaders and it’s sequel. They were a fine conclusion for Adam West as the Batman. As campy as he was he revived the Batman, he’s the one I grew up with and paved the way for Denny O’Neil’s/Neil Adams’ and Frank Miller’s Batman, Michael Keaton, Christian Bale, et al, and of course my current favorites Kevin Conroy and Jason O’Mara.
I love DC Universe and all the new series that they have and the old ones (re-watched every episode of Super Friends and Shazam! even got TV’s Michael Gray’s autograph).
The Omnibus’! They actually started printing them in 2007 or 2008, but this has been the decade for the Omnibus.
And Rebirth! Really got my second wind with Rebirth.

Final Crisis
Seven Soldiers of Victory
Frankenstein: Agent of S.H.A.D.E.
Rebirth

cracks knuckles at the keyboard This will be a long one.

Ten of my favorites DC creations from this decade in random order:

1. Mattel’s toyline based on the Adam West Batman TV series.

For decades, nobody thought any company would ever make show accurate action figures for this TV classic. Mattel finally did and they’re great.

Other companies such as NECA, Funko, Figures Toy Company and (as of SDCC 2019) Mezco have jumped into Batman '66 merch, but it was Mattel that first got the ball rolling and ran it in successfully.

1. The Adam West Batman TV series FINALLY being released on home video and featuring beautiful HD transfers.

Again, nobody ever thought this would happen. Leave it to Warner Home Video to not only do it, but do it beautifully, as is their M.O.

1. The New 52. A new DCU for a new age? Sure, it was a fun experiment.

2. J. Michael Straczynski writing Superman twice (the Earth One OGNs and the regular Superman series).

One of my favorite writers in general taking on my favorite character? Sold! He’s welcome back to the world of Superman at any time.

1. The DCEU. Say what you will about certain movies, but this was undeniably one of the biggest events in DC’s cinematic history.

Fans had yearned for a connected DC cinematic universe decades prior to 2013, but Christopher Nolan, David Goyer and Zack Snyder (along with the help of Superman, natch) finally got it off the ground.

While a couple of the DCEU movies have wavered in quality, you can’t deny how cool it is to finally have movies where the Trinity have been on-screen multiple times, to say nothing of Aquaman and Shazam! taking their share of control too.

1. The Dark Knight Rises. The conclusion to the best live action interpretation of Batman so far. Not a perfect movie, but very enjoyable. Seeing the entire Dark Knight trilogy on the big screen is one of my favorite moviegoing memories as an adult.

2. DC Universe Rebirth. A fan-favorite relaunch of modern continuity which resulted in record breaking sales and acclaim. This one should be on most lists.

3. The CWverse/Arrowverse. I love the idea of a connected DC TV universe almost as much as the idea of a connected DC movie 'verse.

The CW has pulled this off very well in most respects and given the ample amount of DC shows on the network, The CW is more or less The DC TV Network. Pretty cool. The CW Seed shows are a fun tangent too.

1. The linewide implementation of day and date digital releases for new comic books enacted on August 31, 2011.

Digital was and is vital to DC Comics keeping the lights on and bills paid and that goes for the rest of the comic book industry too.

This action led to other publishers seeing the light on digital’s imperative importance to the industry and was yet another instance of DC Comics serving as an industry leader.

1. Cartoon Network’s Saturday Morning DC Nation programming block.

It was where fan-favorite TV shows such as Young Justice and Green Lantern: The Animated Series debuted (and in their cases, sadly died) and where some wonderful interstitial animated shorts came to life too, such as Creature Commandos, Shade, The Changing Man, Wonder Woman, Vibe, Sword of The Atom and many, many more (including a scant few that have yet to be publicly seen).

Honorable Mentions:

1. The live action Green Lantern movie. Yes, it’s not Lawrence of Arabia in terms of quality filmmaking (it’s also not as bad as it’s made out to be), but this was a significant release in the history of DC movies as it was the very first summer blockbuster tentpole DC movie to star someone other than Superman or Batman (2010’s Jonah Hex doesn’t count, as that wasn’t positioned to be a big tentpole potential blockbuster).

The Green Lantern movie has some issues, but it will always be a touchstone in DC movie history because of the achievement it represented.

1. The Earth One line of original graphic novels that began in 2010. Featuring a seperate continuity that consists of a small assortment of titles that any new or established fan can very easily get into, understand and stay up to speed with.

The line has featured a bevy of wonderful writers and artists too. Its hard to believe it will already be 10 years old next year. Maybe DC will commemorate it as part of their 85th anniversary plans? One can hope they will.

An Event In a Class of Its Own:

DC UNIVERSE!!!

A fan-dedicated DC based entertainment service where you can:

-read very nearly the entire DC Universe superhero based digital single issue comic book library (along with many Wildstorm titles and select Vertigo books)

-read new to the DC Universe service comics every Tuesday (Monday night in most respects, but they’re all populated by Tuesday morning)

-watch classic and modern DC movies and television shows

-watch DC Universe Original TV programming

-watch direct-to-video animated movies from the going on 12 years old DC Universe Original Movie (as it’s currently known) line the same day they are released on physical media

AND DO SO MUCH MORE?!

Oh yes, the DC Universe service is absolutely a class in its own. It’s not even a year old and it’s come so far in such a short time. I’m very, VERY excited for DCU’s future.

That’s my list and I’m sticking to it.

2 Likes