Best Friends

Throughout the years of DC Comics, there have been a lot of examples of great “Super Friends”. I thought it may be fun to have a poll on who we think is the best friendship combination. I will give you my top 5 below and would love to hear yours as well. Though one rule, avoid using the hero/sidekick combination (ex: Batman/Robin, Flash/Kid Flash, Green Arrow/Speedy, etc.). Okay my top 5…

1. Booster Gold & Blue Beetle (Ted Kord)
  2. Batman & Superman
  3. Flash (Barry Allen) & Green Lantern (Hal Jordan)
  4. Nightwing & Flash (Wally West)
  5. Hawkman & The Atom (Ray Palmer)
10 Likes

Mine is Kara and Babs.

Exhibit A - A best friend is someone you can lie and watch the stars with.

Exhibit B - A best friend is someone who offers to hold your hair when you are sick.

Exhibit C - A best friend is someone who notices that you fly away alone on Christmas

Exhibit D - You get a heart and a hug on your BvS movie.

Exhibit E - Even in other worlds you are the finest together.

Exhibit F - You have nights out together where you have fun.

dcju4hy-02522f6b-ab55-41a2-978c-da105a7b285a

Exhibit G - You literally have a show called Super Best Friends Forever.

Super-Best-Friends-Forever

Exhibit H - You are sisters even though you are not related by blood.

Exhibit I: The best fanart of the characters are them just being friends.

4cfdfa88b31b276971cd275104a38eba

Exhibit J - The best fancomic about the character is about the friendship with the other character. Also they self-isolate together.

Exhibit K - Your friendship comes with a power

Exhibit L - Your friendship comes with the ultimate power.

12 Likes

That is a perfect list in my opinion. I’d also say Ollie/Hal

9 Likes

I’m a sucker for Damian and Jon. Their dynamic is so darn precious. It’s been fun watching them develop a friendship and come into their own over the past few years.

11 Likes

They’ve had their ups and downs, but there is a certain respect/friendship between Jason Blood and Batman. Even Etrigan sees Batman different than he sees other mortals.

5 Likes

I’m so happy to see a post celebrating the friendships in comics! It’s one of my favorite things about reading them :slight_smile:

Soooo many options. The ones that come to mind right now are:

Dick Grayson and Donna Troy
Booster Gold and Blue Beetle
Bart Allen, Tim Drake and Kon-El
Stephanie Brown and Damian Wayne
Alan Scott and Jay Garrick

7 Likes

it’s between Hal and the Flash for me

5 Likes

Wally and John Stewart
Jay and Alan

5 Likes
  1. Captain Cold and Heatwave
  2. Starman and Shade
  3. Wintergreen and Deathstroke
  4. Wonder Woman and Etta Candy
    5.Damian and Jon
7 Likes

@BoosterGoldForPresident and @SuperBlueGrodd :+1: Perfect! Ollie and Hal Hard travelin’ Heroes! Classic stuff! Surprised at how I’ve grown on Super Sons as well, initially I thought “we’ve seen this b4” a superboy and a robin. but it’s grown on me

5 Likes

Constantine and Chas

5 Likes

fire and Ice

5 Likes

Ralph and Sue

3 Likes

Perfect list @BoosterGoldForPresident, and when you add in @SuperBlueTim’ addition of Ollie and Hal it becomes iconic.

4 Likes

Can’t argue with this

4 Likes

The Rogues for sure.

3 Likes

Babs & Kara or Snart & Rory

I never got a friend vibe from Ollie & Hal. They are more comrades in arms than friends in my book.

3 Likes

I personally love when I get to see bros being bros in comics, as it provides a nice momentary escape from the rush of the plot, and makes for good world and character building if done well. Here’s some of my favorite best friend duos and why I like them.

1. Wally West and Dick Grayson.
    Their friendship reminds me a lot of me and my best friend, especially in Young Justice. In the show they’re sort of just two gremlins tag teaming on who can be more of a gremlin, and I adore that. They also have no qualms with bantering back and forth and telling each other when they’re being stupid, and I think that’s important in an honest and healthy friendship.

2. Artemis Crock and M’gann M’ors.
    Another good portrayal of friendship in YJ. Originally sort of at odds with one another due to Artemis’s flirtations towards Superboy, these two struck me as uneasy allies in the beginning. But after a while they seemed to form a bond and came to be close friends. Perhaps that was due to them being the only girls in the team, but nevertheless I liked seeing two opposite personalities come together and enjoy each other’s company. Seeing M’gann tease Artemis about Wally really sold their friendship for me, and I’ve enjoyed their screen time together a lot.

3. Batman: The Animated Series version of Poison Ivy and Harley Quinn.
    I was a little kid when I first fell in love with Batman: The Animated Series, and I longed to have a friendship like that of Harley and Ivy. Back then I had no idea they were into each other, and in the Animated Series they don’t seen to have that type of relationship, so I didn’t see them romantically at the time. Instead I saw the way Ivy was there for Harley after her breakup with the Joker, and how she smacked some sense into her and took her “shopping” and I thought “Wow, this is the height of friendship.” Because there’s nothing like robbing a bank with your best friend to tell her you care. I just liked their banter, and the fun dynamic they had, as well as the way they genuinely cared about each other.

4. Batgirl and Supergirl.
    I don’t know what it was about them as a little kid. Maybe it was the fact that I didn’t have many friends and seeing two teenage girls be friends was sort of like wish fulfillment for me, maybe it was that they were a part of the biggest two hero brands. I just really liked them. I remember watching them in Batman: The Animated Series meeting for the first time and fighting Livewire and admiring how well they worked together and their problem solving skills.

5. Booster Gold and Blue Beetle
    I’ll admit I haven’t read as many comics as I wish I have, but I’ve seen a little bit of Booster Gold and Blue Beetle and their close bond shows every time they’re together. They’re what you think of when you think of best friends. They’re the kind of best friends who know each other’s nervous ticks and what they worry about but won’t talk about. They have that kind of bond that for a moment makes you go “are they siblings?” It just warms my heart to see them together.

8 Likes

These are my top 5:
Arsenal & Wally
Booster and Ted
Frankenstein & Grfiter(love to see it)
Karen Starr & Helena Wayne
Superboy & Robin

4 Likes

1.Booster Gold and Blue Beetle
2.Nightwing and Flash(Wally West)
3.Connor Kent and Red Robin
4.Batgirl and Supergirl