BIRDS OF PREY RUMORS

So we have all the rumors about Bird of Prey right now. Black Mask is gay, flirting with Victor Zsasz, and Cass Cain stole his diamond with nude photos in it.

Honestly though, I’m really excited. People say that Black Mask is one of the best comic bool villains ever, with Black Canary being a phenomenal character. I think this movie is going to be a beautiful fun mess to watch. It’s definitely going to be entertaining.

It would be an interesting idea but note that the source of these rumors come from We Got This Covered who are notorious for making things up!

3 Likes

I think a funny way of doing it is black masl walks into a mob meeting says “sorry I’m late, hadda take the husband out, it’s date night” one new guy says something like, “Your gay?” Black Mask quietly pulls out gun shoots him and turn to everyone else “anybody got a problem with that!” They all shake head no "cool, let’s do buisness.

4 Likes

Just a brief funny moment not distracting from the rest that make black mask a fan favorite

This movie is either going to go really, really right or really, really wrong, and it’s almost certainly the latter.

2 Likes

Based on what? Do you have access to footage we’re unaware of? Have you seen an early cut of the movie? I’m just trying to understand how you came to this conclusion.

1 Like

1: Shoehorning Harley Quinn into everything.
2: Lack of Oracle (or at least, no indication that Oracle’s going to be there as far as I’m aware) in an adaptation of a series whose entire premise was supposed to be about Oracle. (Yes, it hasn’t had Oracle since Flashpoint, but when you slap the same title on a series with a completely overhauled premise, it doesn’t really count as the same series. Well, ditto for adaptations.)
3: DC’s track record for handling Cassandra Cain is abysmal even though she really should not be a hard character to get right.
4: Wonder Woman and Shazam pleasantly surprised me, but I’ve learned not to have hope when it comes to the DCEU.
5: That said, I still love the original series, and none of those first four points is necessarily a death sentence, hence my suggestion that it could potentially go really, really right.

4 Likes

Well I hope they do SOMETHING to make Black Mask interesting

1 Like

@BatJamags

I don’t recall them ever saying this was a true adaptation of the comic. Actually, now that I think about it, a lot of comic based movies aren’t true adaptations. They take elements from their source material, but they also do their own thing.

All we can really do is wait for some footage to see how it’ll go. To claim something will almost certainly go really, really wrong is premature at this point. If some footage had come out, then maybe, but for now, we don’t know much.

@superby1
I think @batjamags makes a valid point. From what we know so far, which isn’t much, but I’d agree. Either this is going to be a really, really well received film or it’s really, really gonna bomb.

I just don’t think, given what we know so far, the reception will “it’s aight”.

2 Likes

I guess I’ll take the L on this one. We won’t know until we see the movie.

1 Like

Comic movies have deviated from the source material before, sometimes out of necessity, but what I think matters is retaining some core element of the character and their world to clearly present to the audience despite the changes. That’s how some franchises, like TMNT and Transformers, can have so many different iterations in a short time, and still remain popular as a whole. By contrast, losing certain core elements, exchanging them for something else or re-explaining them in the dumbest ways possible just to say “it’s new and different”, has been cause of much consternation for audiences (regardless of medium).

I was never a big BoP reader, so I can’t say I’m as invested in whether or not a crippled Barbara Gordon is involved in the formation of the team. I am, as any annoyed reader dreading my appearance in any given thread will attest, a biiiiiiiiiiiggg fan of Cassandra Cain, and I echo BatJamags’ concerns on how she will be handled (i.e., the probability of giving her a history closer to Tynion’s simply because it’s more recent, or some other dumb reason, rather than translating the good history). While I’m in no way hyped for this movie, I will concede the slimmest possibility of it being good, based only on Shazam and Aquaman showing they’ve begun a nice course correction.

As for the aforementioned rumors, I could see them making an obscure character like Black Mask gay, but I can’t say that makes him any more interesting to me. I’m not sure how you get nude photos inside a diamond, or why Cass would steal it.

3 Likes

It sounds a bit silly of a plot. I think it could go either way but I am not really invested in this movie to begin with. I don’t have a problem with character adaptations and usually look at most things as there own interpretation. Its all fantasy and I just pick and chose what I want to be cannon for a character or in the universe. I do wish it the best though and hope that people who love these established characters don’t feel alienated or slapped in the face, which tends to happen when you take source material and change it to appease a select group of people. (Star Wars) They often end up upsetting the vary people who have supported these properties which make them profitable to begin with.

1 Like

I’m trying to stay optimistic about the DCEU after Wonder Woman, Shazam!, and (sort of) Aquaman, but these details have lessened my excitement in Birds of Prey somewhat, mainly the odd plot device of Cain swallowing a diamond containing checks notes dick pics. I’m still hopeful though, and it’s really hard to judge an entire film on no context details.

I have to say though, I would rather see this complete version over whatever WB/DC’s meddling version might look like after the Internet overreacting like what happened with BvS, SS, and Justice League.

To @superby1, a lot of Hollywood scoopers on Twitter were calling out Grace Randolph, a youtuber, for actually spoiling these plot details (some of which were first reported by We Got This Covered) with no warning, so they’re are probably legit.

1 Like

Anyone else worried Birds of Prey could be 2020’s Suicide Squad? The more previews and rumors I see, the less I’m looking forward to it. Honestly, it feels somewhere between a CW movie and leftovers from the Snyderverse. If i ever watch it when it comes out, it’s going to be with the lowest of expectations.

1 Like

"the odd plot device of Cain swallowing a diamond containing checks notes dick pics. "

…I feel so very tired right now.

1 Like