Boxed villains, yay or nay?

Something that I see ever so often in all social media is the comment: “X shouldn’t be in this comic/show, it’s a Y villain. Z should fight his/her own villains.”

What are people’s thoughts in general about this?

Do you agree with the sentiment that the “Rogue’s Gallery” is the way to go, where heroes should fight “their own” villains, or do you believe that there are just villains and heroes living in the same universe, and who faced eachother the first time is not particularily relevant.

Thoughts?

6 Likes

I like the approach of a particular character or team’s cabal of villains to stay with their respective heroes most of the time.

That said, variety is the spice of life and it’s always lots of fun to mix things up and see what comes of it. An issue of Action Comics where Mirror Master and Dark Opal are menacing Metropolis? I couldn’t read that fast enough.

Both approaches work and work well.

4 Likes

I don’t think it would be too much of a problem. The only real issue would be what if superman decided to clean up Gotham? That would make Batman obsolete.

3 Likes

I think if it makes sense to the story, and there is a reason for the villain leaving their “home” city, then its fine.

4 Likes

If it’s a good fit and executed well, I don’t care. I think it’s a bit fun to see a hero fight someone they typically don’t.

2 Likes

The villains are some of my favorite characters! They should run free!

2 Likes

As long as it fits the story, I don’t think it matters who’s fighting who. There are certain villains that just sort of match their heroes, though, like Batman and Joker.

1 Like

Interesting. CW’s Arrow has had this, battling a lot of Batman villains, some have worked, so haven’t. But I think villains shouldn’t be contained within their heroes’ home turf, it’s a big universe, and villains have more room to do evil than just in their cities.

2 Likes

Here’s the problem for me. Good villains should bring out different sides of their respective hero. Two Face, for instance, only really makes sense when in the context of White Knight vs Dark Knight. That’s what makes the character interesting. If a villain doesn’t have this foil relationship with a hero, then it’s fine to move the villain to a new hero. Sometimes even, the villain brings something new out of the different hero, and that’s when this becomes a really good tool. So like many others are saying, if it’s written in a way that makes sense and has interesting ramifications for the new hero, then I’m all for it.

I don’t necessarily mind hijacking somebody else’s villain once in a while, but if it’s done too often, you get situations like Arrow where it feels like the writers would really rather just write a Batman show, because half the stories are Batman stories, except he carries a bow.

1 Like

Some villains fight multiple heroes. Folks don’t realize that Ra’s Al Ghul has battled Green Arrow in the comics since the Dark Archer is in the League of Assassins in the comics. Clock King and Count Vertigo, who casual fans only really know from the 90’s Batman Animated Series, are actually Green Arrow’s villains. Count Vertigo is Green Arrow’s Joker or Doctor Octopus. Even switching to Marvel for a moment. Doctor Doom is Marvel’s most popular villain. Up until about a decade ago, the best Doom stories tended to happen in Spider-Man. Which is why I think Marvel likes to have these two battle it out in almost all mediums. Use the best villain for the best story.

As long as the story makes sense, I don’t mind seeing villains fight different heroes.