Can I get some batman suggestions?

I currently have volume 1, 2, and 3 of Batman: Year one, (I believe) and was just wondering what I should check out at my local comic shop. If you have any random superhero suggestions that would help too. I’m starting up as a comic collector and I’m hungry for great reading material to show off to my friends. Let me know if there’s anything you think is cool! (When I get home from work tonight I’ll post all of my current Batman comics.)

6 Likes

Welcome to the world of Batman, Grosch!

Here are five picks to get you started, all of which you can find on DCU.

Batman: Year One (Batman #404-407)

Batman: Hush (Batman #608-619)

Batman: The Long Halloween

Batman: Strange Apparitions (Detective Comics #469-479)

Batman: The Dark Knight Returns

5 Likes

I agree with all of @HubCityQuestion’s suggestions. Additionally, one thing I’ve found is that one great way to find books that you like once you’ve read through some of the classics, is to look for ones by writers or artists that you like rather than characters that you like. Characters will be wildly different depending on who’s writing or drawing them. If you follow writers/artists that you like, you’re guaranteed to get something you like.

The only time this got me into trouble was when I picked up Batman and Robin: The Boy Wonder because I saw it was by Jim Lee and Frank Miller. Just don’t buy that book.

And welcome to the Community!

4 Likes

I can wholeheartedly recommend Scott Snyder’s Batman and James Tynion’s Detective Comics. Batman: Hush is also phenomenal.

5 Likes

I love all of these suggestions. :smiley:

They’re not exactly Batman comics, but I have a deep love for both Gotham Academy and the new Harleen comic - though the latter of which is quite mature.

3 Likes

Death of the Family:

• Batman #13
  • Batgirl #13
  • Catwoman #13
  • Batman #14
  • Batgirl #14
  • Catwoman #14
  • Suicide Squad #14
  • Batman #15
  • Detective Comics #15
  • Batgirl #15
  • Suicide Squad #15
  • Batman and Robin #15
  • Nightwing #15
  • Red Hood and the Outlaws #15
  • Teen Titans #15
  • Batman #16
  • Detective Comics #16
  • Batgirl #16
  • Batman and Robin #16
  • Nightwing #16
  • Red Hood and the Outlaws #16
  • Teen Titans #16
  • Batman #17

…In that order. I’m confident you’ll be able to find them here, or you could hunt them down at your LCS. There is also a Trade.

This is the story that reignited my passion for collecting.

5 Likes

Okay, so I totally lied. I have Batman: Eternal volume one, two and three, and a collection of Batman: Year One stories, including those of other characters.

2 Likes

Oh great! Batman Eternal a really good series. It’s got a really large creative team, so it’a nice to get a feel for a lot of different creators. It takes place in the middle of Scott Snyder and Greg Capullo’s run on Batman, so if you’re interested in expanding your collection of New 52 Batman series’, I would look to get the Court of the Owls book, and continue down the Snyder/Capullo run from there if you like it.

The Year One stories are also really solid. Of the ones I’ve read (Batman, Robin, and Batgirl), they’ve all been great reads. You can’t really go wrong with a Year One story.

2 Likes

I second this! Snyder and Capullo’s run(through Zero Year) is probably my favorite Batman arc ever. If you don’t need to own the books, I’m pretty sure the whole run is available on DCU.

3 Likes

OML. I mean Zero Year, not Year One. Lol.

4 Likes

Ha, very very different books! :joy:

3 Likes

Although, having said that, Frank Miller’s Year One is also worth reading. (I am not exactly what I’d call a Miller super fan, but Year One is good.)

3 Likes
  • The Man Who Laughs - Batman and Joker’s first encounter
  • Whatever Happened to the Caped Crusader? - A two-parter by Neil Gaiman examining the end of Batman’s life
  • Gotham by Gaslight - One of the best Elseworlds stories about a Victorian-era Batman
  • Arkham Asylum: A Serious House on Serious Earth - The main inspiration behind the Arkham Asylum video game, with Joker and the other inmates having taken over the asylum and Batman having to survive their games. The trippy artwork can make it hard to understand at first, but it’s definitely worth checking out
  • The Black Mirror - Probably the best story for Dick Grayson as Batman and the one that really put Scott Snyder on the map before his New 52 run
  • White Knight - A recent story that looks at a world where Joker becomes sane and leads the fight against an out-of-control Batman. It’s an amazing take on the characters, and if you like that you can also check out the ongoing sequel - Curse of the White Knight
3 Likes

Here: all my of my batman comics.

3 Likes

All Batman new 52 is awesome!

1 Like

I tried to pick up all the variants
covers

The above are all great recommendations, but if you seek essential, no frills, (The) Batman, hunt down all the Denny O’Neil, Neal Adams, Irv Novick and Dick Giordano offerings that are on this app.

1 Like

@HubCityQuestion, finally got the first issue. So far, I love it!

1 Like

The suggestions I’ve seen on this thread are all fantastic, but along with all of those, I’d recommend the Legends of the Dark Knight series from the 90’s, especially if you’re looking for more solo Batman stuff. I believe the entire run is available here, but the stories I would recommend in particular are Venom, Prey, Blades, Mask, Going Sane, and Heat.

Also check out Batman and the Monster Men and Batman: The Cult.

1 Like

Another couple I love from Legends of the Dark Knight are Snow. and Faces.

Matt Wagner’s Faces might be my favorite Batman story of all-time.

1 Like