Crisis on Earth 1 - The Last Stand

For several reasons. As we’ve evolved into modern comics, representation of women in comics have changed drastically. I mean, just for myself, I got into comics in the in between of the Women in Refrigerators movement and the Hawkeye Initiative, which both discussed the physical and plot-based imbalance of female characters in relation to their male counterparts. I was you g enough to not really get what it all meant, but old enough to see that stories I hadn’t seen myself represented in yet were beginning to change and I was interested in that. I remember being REALLY peeved about the Young Justice cancellation when they blamed it on female toy sales.

9 Likes

It’s been a long time since I’ve heard anyone mention the fridging. I was just talking to someone about how I thought the efforts to empower female characters were sometimes overdone and often brought a lame element to a story. Don’t get me wrong, that’s better than half the human race feeling unwelcome as readers. Don’t get me wrong a strong woman is great when it’s done right.

4 Likes

Don’t get me wrong

2 Likes

Lol Im a little preoccupied right now I guess

2 Likes

Don’t get me wrong

2 Likes

They come off as lame because they’re not truthful. It’s added in as a “well we’ve got to empower her somehow or those women’ll complain again grumble grumble!”
Trust me, I know exactly what you’re talking about. :grin:

6 Likes

Yeah, I’m pretty sure it was Spider-Man. I think it was the issue they found out Harry used some kind of substance (I can’t remember what)?

3 Likes

Are you talking about the Green Arrow issue that has Speedy shootings up heroin on the cover?

5 Likes

Lol, nope, but close…

3 Likes

5 Likes

I think they amended the code by the time that issue was released. Big anti drug effort

5 Likes

Cool I was worried that might come across the wrong way.

5 Likes
5 Likes

Voluntary…well…they made them an offer they couldn’t refuse

3 Likes

If you look underneath the W in Arrow, you’ll see the Comic Code there.

4 Likes

Yeah, I know. That’s why I asked if that was the one he was talking about, because it doesn’t fit the discussion.

3 Likes

There are some crazy stories about what was approved and what wasn’t.
The comics were sent to the regulators for a seal of approval.
I heard Stan Lee describe how one panel had to be edited because the regulators thought the smoke coming ouit of a gun was too big.
He had his artist change it to be smaller and it was approved!

5 Likes

Oh, sorry.
Have to read better.
:grin:

3 Likes

No reason to apologize at all. :grin:

I wish tone could be better conveyed through posts.

4 Likes

I completely agree. (sincere not sarcastic) :yum:

4 Likes