CRISIS ruined Dc Comics; Arrowverse too?

Crisis of Infinite Earths was DC comics saying, in essence, new fans found the multiverse too hard to get their minds around (meaning not smart enough) so they knocked all the Earths down to five and merged them.

But if you follow DC comics they have spent the last 25 years admitting it was a mistake because now we are back to having a multiverses.

The pre-Crisis is what set DC apart from Marvel…and they ruined it. And now we have the Arrowverse prepping their own version of Crisis for fall of 2019

Big mistake 2.0?

1 Like

Personally, I don’t think Crisis ruined the comics. For one thing, it’s actually a pretty good story. I could be wrong, but I believe DC needed to prune its offerings at the time (and yes, there was a lot of confusion between all the universes), and the crisis storyline was a very creative method for cutting a bunch of slow selling comics.

Plus, it really cleared the stage for new creators to write new stories.

I think the biggest mistake they made was trying to ignore all the history. As goofy as some of the pre-crisis stuff was, it was still history. And it helped develop the characters and their situations.

For some characters, like Batman, not much changed. But Superboy was removed from history, and that’s created confusion ever since.

4 Likes

What Ruins is, is that DC Universe only has the first 4 issues available to read! I don’t want to go looking through my long boxes for the rest of the issues to read, nor do I want to buy them electronically . Put up the whole series!

2 Likes

I disagree it ruined anything

1 Like

Oh and Arrowverse has ruined itself. They need something like this

2 Likes

I agree with @TX85, this could fix the Arrowverse. Definitely couldn’t hurt.

2 Likes

I agree with TX that Crisis on Infinite Earths didn’t ruin anything. It’s one of my favorite DC events ever.

For the Arrowverse, if it reboots things fine. If not fine too. Just curious to see what it will entail.

3 Likes

I understand that losing the silverage era and doing a complete reboot sucked but the reason why it didn’t actually “ruin” dc comics is that it was a great story and a major party of history and not often seen as such a bad thing overall.

Tons of great stuff came out of Post-Crisis from comics to other media.

Crisis was successful in it’s goal and was used multiple times after that. Elements from the silverage and even original beginnings have been brought back into main cannon anyway.

Not even New 52 actually ruined anything as Rebirth has brought back stuff from Pre-Flashpoint

4 Likes

Going to have to disagree here too. Crisis on Infinite Earths was one of my favorite comics.

Arrowverse if anything got ruined by the stupid Oliver and Felicity relationship.

4 Likes

It was a colossal waste of time. Great story but was it really needed since we now have a new multiverse?? zero hour and other stories were needed to fix the mess Crisis created.

1 Like

I’ve become to hate the word “needed”. used way too loosely

Was it needed - in some ways yes and others no but the important thing was the story itself. Not was it just great but it brought great stuff in the near future after it

3 Likes

It didn’t last forever but it was in effect for many years. It’s not like it was a bait and switch within a year.

Not a wage of time at all

2 Likes

Didn’t Crisis happen because DC’s continuity was a total shit show?

2 Likes

TX85, you are so right about what Crisis begat. Here’s a small sampling: JohnByrne’s Man of Steel reboot, Wally takes the mantle of the Flash, Hawkworld, The George Perez greek pantheon centric Wonder Woman reboot, Mike Grell’s Green Arrow: The Longbow Hunters, and the granddaddy of all things post-Crisis, Batman: Year One. I’d say the original Crisis was a massive artistic success.

2 Likes

Well said

1 Like

I didn’t like Crisis because it wrote off several characters I really liked and they messed up Huntress. I am looking forward to seeing Stargirl because it will include members of the JSA, who used to be on Earth 2.

1 Like

DC’s comics weren’r originally meant to share continuity, which made most heroes pretty isolated from each other. DC fixed that, and there are still multiple universes. Power Girl and Jay Garrick are from other universes, for example.

1 Like

Like it or not still one of the biggest events in comic history and they are only doing it to write off Oliver and Superman if the cw makes 1 earth for all the shows it makes sense