DC '70s, an Elseworld's Universe needs your ideas

In the aftermath of Doomsday Clock, the DC Multiverse is teeming with new worlds to explore. DC '70s is a universe set in a world of a high stakes Cold War, cities beset by crime, corruption and decline; and an America that no longer trusts itself. Into this, a new generation of heroes takes its first steps unsure of what path to follow. Read the background for the Trinity and pitch your own heroes and story ideas for DC '70s.

Detective Bruce Wayne
The son of a teacher and firefighter Bruce Wayne’s parents murder drives him to police work and Gotham PD. Detective Wayne is a barely contained force of retribution working under his mentor and step-father Capt. Jim Gordon. Along with his young partner Renee Montoya, who brushes off the advances of Officer Grayson, Wayne confronts a new and deadly drug hitting the streets and driving its users insane.

Diana Prince
In a world of intercontinental ballistic missiles and super power proxy wars, Paradise Island’s centuries old isolationism is no longer an option. Her public image is as an ambassador of peace to the United Nations, but Diana Prince is secretly a warrior dedicated to securing safety for her people no matter who gets in her way.

Clark Kent
Eben and Sarah were hard scrabble Kansas farmers. That is until oil was discovered on their land in 1923. Though the Kents were the largest landowners in the West and one of the riches families in the country, John and Martha taught their adopted son the value of an honest day’s hard work. As an investigative reporter for Kent News Syndicated, Clark and his intrepid partner Lois Lane uncovered the corruption and crime behind the facade of Metropolis’ famous skyline. But, when that trail leads to the highest office in the land and its wealthiest families, Clark would have to decide if reporting the news was enough.

4 Likes

Hard Traveling Heroes

The Guardians of the Universe have dismissed Hal Jordan from active service, allowing him to keep his ring in reserve while John Stewart replaces him as the Green Lantern of Sector 2814. Broken up with Carol and without purpose, Hal travels America searching to right injustice wherever he sees it with the capped ring power he has at his disposal. Luckily, he does have one friend by his side for these troubled times: the Emerald Archer, Oliver Queen.

4 Likes

Fits perfectly

1 Like

Convinced that the oil rich Kent Dynasty was responsible for the increasing deteriation of the environment eco warrior Lex Luthor and his cult like groupies Barbara Minerva, Pamela Isley and Jason Woodrue vowed to bring them down through any means necessary starting with the golem like Brother Power.

4 Likes

I hadn’t even thought of villains much, nice

1 Like

Marshmallow Pete…with fluffy sideburns and aviator sunglasses.

Bow-chicka-wow.

1 Like

Constantine: The cure is worse than the disease.

Thatcher has formed a government. It’s the pinnacle of the cocaine fueled disco, where the well heeled, and their wannabes, dance and screw. The embers of the punk scene have started to emerge. So has John Constantine, Purveyor of the Dark arts. He and his band, Mucus Membrane, have left Liverpool for gigs in the dank clubs of London. Through all this John has noticed one thing…”Something just ain’t right, mate.” A string of attacks and disappearances have been happening. The victims all have one thing in common, they are all kids on the dole. The ones with no future. The other thing, the smell of sulfur permeates every crime scene. Can Constantine figure out the cause of these events, and even if he can, does he yet have the knowledge and control over the dark arts to stop whatever is causing the disappearance of his fellow punks? From the famous punk SEX shop of Malcolm McLaren and Vivienne Westwood on the King’s Road to Number 10 Downing St., can John put a stop to the dark forces of this malevolent evil? Even if he can, magic always has its costs.

2 Likes

Flash
Rock star Barry Allen was on his way to a concert in rural New York when lightning struck… literally. He awoke several months later to discover he had the power to move faster than lightning… and play the best guitar solo he’d ever heard. Now he, his manager Iris West, and her star-struck nephew Wally travel the country, doing concerts and defending people against the enemies of peace and love, man.

Only there’s a problem: Barry Allen wasn’t the only person struck by lightning that night. A weirdly named groupie of his called Eobard was struck in the same place on the same road an hour later. Imbued with the same powers while under the effects of a bad acid trip, Thawne believes that he and Barry have been chosen to bring about the Age of Aquarius… by any means necessary.

3 Likes

We will mark this a an MA book, but that let’s you run even further amok

2 Likes

So, counter-programming to our otherwise darker universe, accepted.

1 Like

Dr. Mr. @Vroom
Our editors read your Marshmallow Pete proposal with great interest, unfortunately it does not fit into our publishing plans at this point. If you have any story or character ideas not based on sugar based treats please keep us in mind.
Yours truly,
Editors at DC ‘70s

2 Likes

Oh, I’ve got ideas.

flicks on the Idea Generator 7000

Give it a few minutes to warm up…

1 Like

Being able to work in the MA space will be a benefit. I don’t think many people know (or were even around at the time) that the 70s was the darkest and grittiest decade we’ve had since the depression of the 30’s and the rise of organized crime.

I think the ‘70s are remembered for their bright tv series, but one of the reasons they were so bright is there was no way the FCC would allow the reality of what was happening in the real world to be broadcast over the airways.

If you want dark and gritty comics, the best era to do that in is the 1970’s.

2 Likes

We’ll also pencil in a monthly “@DeSade-acolyte wants us to publish what” meeting now to save time.

3 Likes

That’s a REALLY good idea.

2 Likes

Well, acceptance is good, but I think I need to revise my pitch. When I bring in Reverse-Flash as Charles Manson with super-speed (more '60s than '70s, I know, but it still fits the hippie/rock’n’roll concept) and get told that it’s not dark, I’m probably doing something wrong.

1 Like

No, no I misinterpreted it as a lighter piece. Didn’t pick up on the Charlie allusion which is really very good. Barry’s having fun with super speed guitar riffs unaware that the devil walks among us.

1 Like

The timeline is fuzzy, but my Bruce Wayne is Popeye Doyle from the French Connection and Lane and Kent are Woodward and Bernstein

2 Likes

The Hip Squad

Youthful looking Renee Montoya, Dick Grayson and their “black friend” Vic Stone infiltrate Gothams youth culture in an effort to bring down drug kingpin Dr. Psycho the king of psychedelic drugs.

Every series in the 70s seemed to have at least one token black. Usually the police lieutenant.

3 Likes

“In 1972, Jason Todd and his crack commando unit was sent to prison by a military court for a crime they didn’t commit. These men promptly escaped from a maximum security stockade to the Los Angeles underground. Today, still wanted by the government, they survive as soldiers of fortune. If you have a problem, if no one else can help, and if you can find them, maybe you can hire…the Outlaws!”

…you all have NO idea how long I’ve been wanting to make this joke…

2 Likes