DC Arts & Crafts

Bored as hell at the house, so show me what you got!

I do a few. We have a local bookstore that sells 50¢ comics- which is cool, but they hit the covers with a sticker to mark them, effectively ruining the value of the book. But if you buy them to read the story only, or to repurpose them, they’re a great buy (especially since the selection is also great). So that’s what I do- one of my favorite things to do is to make them into magnets for a magnet board I got from IKEA:

I’m working on 1 for Neil Gaiman’s Sandman right now.

16 Likes

The other thing I like to do is posters. With either the 50¢ issues I find, or a backup copy of a book I already own. It dawned on me that some splash pages would look great as posters, but would likely never get made. So I found a local printshop who blows the images up for me to 11x17 size. Walmart sells 11x17 frames for $5. The print cost less than $2. At this point, I probably have hundreds of them.

13 Likes

That’s full of awesome. Great idea!

4 Likes

That’s very cool! My friend found a literal barrel of his comics from childhood, but they had sustained massive water damage. He was gonna trash them, so I grabbed a stack. One of these days I want to try using them to decoupage or make a collage poster.

6 Likes

Here’s my slow progress on the Sandman magnets (can’t go shopping for new books right now, so I’m relegated to eBay and waiting on them to ship).

9 Likes

Great idea! I love the posters. I need to frame a bunch of stuff myself.

6 Likes

Found a pic of an old magnet collage I did for Grant Morrison’s Batman run.

10 Likes

8 Likes

Wow - these are all great! Great way to purpose

3 Likes

I also took one of those souvenir starfish that they sell in beach towns and painted him to look like Starro. The eye is a beer cap that I glued to the center (and then painted as well).

14 Likes

These are such creative ways to repurpose comics! Love them! :superman_hv_4:

5 Likes

Very Cool!

5 Likes

Oooh, yes please!! :grin:
That Starro is awesome, btw.

3 Likes

Thanks- its definitely a favorite. It fit well with the ‘ocean theme’ we picked for the guest bathroom, so I was able to hang some Starro/Aquaman posters and put up a Star Conquereor version of the ‘modified souvenir starfish’ as well.

7 Likes

Finished my Sandman magnets, finally

5 Likes

Can you tell me where @TheTerribleToyman ?

2 Likes

Dude. That’s sick. I gotta try that out! I’m currently looking to make my room more superhero themed in decor and this splash page poster idea is an awesome one!

3 Likes

These are awesome™:+1:. Like the Starro

3 Likes

Got some new posters the other day.

I put them in these art portfolios-

Then periodically I interchange what we frame and put on the walls

6 Likes

OMG @TheTerribleToyman- your collages and posters are fantastic and this Starro is just. so. cool. Loving your creative touches in all of this work. :+1:

4 Likes