[DC Comic Book Art Connoisseurs Club] The Art of Green Lantern Nov 28 - Dec 11

[DC Comic Book Art Connoisseurs Club], Our picturesque 4-color journey over the next 2 weeks involves mainly the color green! Yup, our focus of artistic attention this time around in the DC Art Connoisseurs’ club is: the Art of the Lanterns over the decades!

Martin Nodell, creator / designer of Alan Scott, All-American Comics #16:

Mommie! I just stumbled upon the “Green Lantern cover Cheat Sheet of All Cheat Sheets” while looking up who drew that amazing “Alex Ross” - level GL 9 (2006) cover of GL/ BM below:

Anything goes for the next two weeks as we all share our favorite Green Lantern art moments and make mention of why those instances are among our very favorites, but as a suggestion and guide on where to start, here are the major artists of Green Lantern since 1940:

Gil_Kane, creator, artist starting in Showcase #22 (1959 and then Green Lantern (1960):

Neal Adams Green Lantern 76:

Joe Staton Green Lantern of the early 1980’s:

Ethan Van Sciver Green Lantern Rebirth (2004)

Ivan Reis Green Lantern v4 (2006)

Of course, there are series like Blackest Night and Brightest Day that may have other artists that you feel did Green Lantern’s look just right as well- let us know over the next two weeks!

3 Likes

The triumphant return of Green Lantern, O’Neil & Grell:

2 Likes

Dave Gibbons, one of the modern masters:

3 Likes

Classis Gil Kane:

3 Likes

Ron Martz is another one that’s maybe not as well known but his Kyle Rayner is pretty classic.

3 Likes

Wanted to go with the high point of modern Hal Jordan

Pacheco kills it with Hal and Ollie
And Reis kills me with Star Sapphire

Finally splash page

3 Likes

2 Likes

3 Likes

@Ganderstein Great to have a big fan of Green Lantern share these incredible pieces of artwork! Keep 'em comin!

1 Like

Don, I appreciate it. I have loved the Green Lantern ever since I was a little boy, watching the Justice League cartoon.

I’m glad to hear from an apparent fan like yourself.

1 Like

Any comic book with good Space Opera, I’m hooked! One of my favorite Green Lantern related runs is Green Lantern Corps between 2009-2010.

But I’ve been reading them since a wee lad in the mid-to-late 60s.

2 Likes

One of my favorite covers from Johns’ run (by Shane Davis):

Speaking of Kyle Rayner, here’s his first action figure (not a comic, but it still has artistic merit; pic comes courtesy of Google):

2 Likes

Yeah that suit of Kyle’s was definitely ionic.

3 Likes

It’s my favorite look of Kyle’s, for sure.

Although the Jim Lee re-design is awfully close…

2 Likes

In 1961 Gil Kane and Jack Adler were sure doing something pretty funky with this cover. There’s something unique about the texturing of the villain’s uniform and reptile skin.

By the way, I think the bad guy here actually looks kind of like a cute pet.

2 Likes

@Don-El, now that is giant gila monster starring entertainment I can get behind.

Unlike The Giant Gila Monster, which is a crummy movie.

2 Likes

I think Hal Jordan is awesome. I have ever since I was a kid. I never thought anybody would come close to him in my mind, but I do like Kyle a lot too.

2 Likes

That’s an interesting point about the creature’s texture, Don. You have me staring at it now.

1 Like

lol . yeah that’s super early sixties I’m not sure how they got that texture

1 Like