DC Comics lowering publishing DC Comics?

I heard some rumors of DC downsizing?

1 Like

Wouldn’t be surprised honestly, although hadn’t heard that.

1 Like

@Dan BleedingCool has an article?

1 Like

*has an article

1 Like

Are they downsizing or just canceling crummy books that no one wants to read?

1 Like

It then you have to remember we will be getting Lois Lane and Jimmy Olsen comics in June. Do you really think DC would cancel Nightwing and replace him with a Jimmy book. Unlikely

2 Likes

@baseballmaniac both

2 Likes

They was some talk of Lois and Jimmy bring in a Superman Family book. Supergirl could be included too.

There could be a Batman Family book too. Maybe that way we get Outsiders.

2 Likes

At this point, it appears that DC will probably reduce it’s output of monthly comic book titles by 10 to 15%…but let’s see this verified more than one source.

So not anywheres as crazy as was being rumored. And nicely they expanded the lines in Walmart!

1 Like

Don-El, is there word on anymore expansions to the Walmart line? Or if Target will get more Giant books?

1 Like

I haven’t heard anything. But going from 4 to 6 titles at Walmart is exciting.

1 Like

I think it’s interesting that it was explained as a reduction in the number of titles through the direct market. The direct market is definitely over saturated from all publishers, so maybe they are seeing new avenues to get their books out.

Which maybe means they will be pushing traditional retail (following the Walmart and Target exclusives) and maybe more digital exclusives? Also their upcoming lines of original graphic novels through traditional publishing. Given how direct market sales numbers have dwindled drastically over the years, you can’t blame them for trying something different.

3 Likes

Thanks Don-El. The new Wally World line is exciting.

Regarding the topic: If the line gets leaner and more trim, I’m okay with it.

I’m really surprised DC hasn’t made a bigger move to get trades and so on into Target, Walmart, Costco and so on. In 2005 (or '06, but I think it was '05) Target had a small selection of DC and Marvel trades.

In 2017, Walmart had an exclusive edition of Wonder Woman: Her Greatest Battles (and Justice League: Their Greatest Battles too I believe, but I can’t remember the different cover art offhand), but that’s seemingly it.

Those stores serve a ton of people every day. Imagine how many customers in the course of a day might flip through a Superman or Terrifics trade and say “Hey, this is COOL. I’ll pick up a few of these.” and then come back for more each week as their word of mouth spreads.

I’m sure DC has thought of those distribution channels. I would hope more thought is going into additional publishing plans/programs for Walmart and Target as the existing ones have been a success.

4 Likes

Wow it might be cool then, was somewhat worried, but the fiasco of New Age Heroes witch I was fond of tbh, and Tom King ruining everything. I am worried for DC.

3 Likes

Also not a fan of DC Black label.

3 Likes

Bleeding Cool is a gossip site that puts rumors in the most sensationlistic terms possible to generate traffic.

That said there does seem to be shakeup happening as Black Label seems to have fallen flat as least as far as the new books go and Vertigo has cancelled two out of its five launch titles (one with good reason and one do to controversy before it was even published). What’s weird to me is that I don’t know why this is the case. DC trails Marvel in terms of sales but that’s been the case consistently throughout most of the time I’ve been reading comics. Its anecdotal but my impression is that DC fans are happier with their line than Marvel fans are. Creatively DC is at a high point.

My feeling is that its corporate WB looking at things across a broad spectrum and trying to position the DC brand more strongly in all media.

2 Likes

Yep I agree on bleeding cool or any news site …you always want to see things reported from at least two sources and of course you want to hear it announced by the comic company.

bleeding cool has gotten lucky the past couple times because both times they’ve announced things like the laying off of editors about a month ago and now this they actually were right on the money or very close.

1 Like

Oh and there’s no question that the whole AT&T and Warner merger is going to be a tsunami of changes over the next year and anyone doesn’t think so is wet behind the ears and was just born, IMHO.

One of the reasons companies pay out large sums of cash to merge is that they can reduce cost eventually of administrative by blending teams at the top, so of course there is going to be change and then there’ll be changes in direction based on that. The parent company has to figure out ways to help pay for the cost of the merger and frankly in this day and age the main cost of any company is payroll but it can also be product.

1 Like

I read an article at cosmicbooknews.com and as a former journalism student, I couldn’t help but roll my eyes and chuckle at the sensationalism of the “RIP DC Comics” element of their headline. Yeah, because trimming down a line means “That’s all folks! So long and thanks for all the fish!” Oh wait…it doesn’t mean that.

Anyway, I know the retailer summit is for comic stores, but generally speaking are any verified numbers available regarding digital sales and bookstore market performance?

SN: At cosmicbooknews, Ethan Van Sciver was quoted as saying there were 2,306 comic stores in 2016 and now there are 1,900. There was no specification on whether “now” was last year or this year. No citation of where EVS got his numbers either.

4 Likes

So what does it mean?

1 Like