This month the DC History Club steps back from our usual deep-dives on books, creators, characters, movies and more to take a broader look on how all of these elements fit together to form the broader picture of the first 75 years of DC Comics. With the documentary Secret Origin: The Story of DC Comics as our primary source and guide we are going to travel from Action #1 through the first decade of the 21st Century. In addition to a watch along of the documentary, each week we will focus on a different era with expanded polls on everything from comics, characters, creators, executives and projects outside of comics. This is your chance to choose everything from essential readings to the best animated series of a generation. In addition, we’ll have topic discussion suggests, a research wiki and an expanded quiz.
Watch Along 2020-09-08T01:00:00Z That’s 8:00 PM Central, 9:00 PM Eastern, 6:00 PM Pacific
Secret Origin: The Story of DC Comics
Watch Along: September 7th 10:00 PM Eastern, 7:00 PM Pacific
A new expand poll section each week
Week 1: Golden Age: polls, discussion, watch along
Week 2: Silver Age: polls, discussion
Week 3: Bronze Age: polls, discussion, quiz
Week 4: Modern Age: polls, discussion
Note on eras and polls: Individual characters, creators, executives and other topics for polling appear only once in a category placed in the era of either their debut or in the case of real persons their greatest impact. When voting consider their entire history. Placing them in a single era isn’t perfect, but DC’s history is so large we had to figure out some way of simplifying.
Suggested discussion topics for each week:
- What comics from this era do you consider an essential reading for a comics fan?
- If you could only recommend one comic from this era to hook someone on DC comics, which would it be?
- Which creators from this era do you think are the most historically significant, and which are just your favorites?
- What project outside of comics from this era are the most historically significant, and which are just your favorites?
- What did we miss? Who did we inexplicably snub?