DC Movie Hot Takes

I think Diana shouldn’t have fought Ares in Wonder Woman. I felt like it took away from her character arc.
I also think Scarecrow should have been the main villian in a movie.

3 Likes

“Man of Steel” comes very close to not just being a good movie, but a darn-near perfect one. The costuming, the design, the effects, the music, the cast and the performances are all good and the action scenes alone set a new gold standard for the genre. On a purely visual level, it works.

Unfortunately, its script really, really, really, really, really sucks, and pretty much drags all those positives down with it.

2 Likes

But did you like the script?

1 Like

Nope

2 Likes

Thanks for clarifying!

:wink:

2 Likes

BvS, meanwhile, is just boring, until the Doomsday fight when it suddenly becomes awesome…and even then only until Superman dies (the issue here is that it’s only the second film and we already knew he was coming back for Justice League. It’s a death with no impact because it has no actual consequence).

3 Likes

@Grayson1976, then who should have been the villain in WW?

@CaptThunder, totally agree not to mention the theatrical cut can be hard to follow

1 Like

How about Zeus? He is really evil.

1 Like

Did you watch the latest Joker movie? You could definitely envision Bruce growing up to take him on.

I’m aware of that, but regardless of the fact that the ending featured the beginning of his path to Batman, Batman himself still doesn’t exist and isn’t even close to existing yet in that world. Batman and Joker have been so completely intertwined since their inception that having a version of Joker exist during a time where there’s no Batman whatsoever just makes this version of the character feel inauthentic to me. Unpopular opinion, I know, but that’s why we’re in the hot takes topic

1 Like

I get it. I used to be upset by any variances from comics canon in mainstream entertainment at the time, and found flaws in how characters were portrayed in TV and movies. Now we’ve experienced so many versions of Batman and the other characters. So I’ve come to embrace the differences, like Speedy as Oliver’s sister in Arrow, and Zack Snyder’s take on the Death of Superman. I could do without some of the truly wacky stuff (Superman throwing the S in Superman II) but even some of the wackiness (Harley) transformed the canon. To me, Joaquin’s Joker backstory is as valid as the alternative Wayne family backstories in the Pennyworth and Gotham TV series. We are all about multiple universes, metaverses even.

1 Like

Don’t get me wrong, I’m all for making changes in comic adaptations to keep things fresh. Being a slave to comics continuity doesn’t really help anyone since it essentially leaves no room for surprises. But there’s still a necessary balance these projects need to strike between creating something new while still staying true to the spirit of what came before. Joker’s obviously a very complicated, multi-faceted character and there’s much more involved w/ getting him right besides Batman. But at the end of the day, Batman is still an important enough part of his legacy that I feel like leaving him out entirely makes Joker unrecognizable

3 Likes

This is sort of movie related, specifically with one of the DC movie actors. Someone has probably already said this but Ben Affleck is not the defining Batman. He wasn’t terrible and he wasn’t great but can Twitter and every news outlet that exists please stop acting like he is a Bat God walking on Earth. It’s just super annoying to look up if there’s any Batman related news and for it always to be 98% Ben Affleck related. (Not hating on Ben Affleck or Ben Affleck as Batman, I just wish people would stop acting like he’s the best thing since sliced bread and almost always attacking those who disagree.)

3 Likes

I know, right?

I mean, the guy’s good but he’s no Adam West.

:grin:

(I was going to say George Clooney but that’s not even funny)

3 Likes

I take your point but I liked the movie a lot. I kind of think of it as an “Elseworlds” story. It is tangential to the canonical Joker.

3 Likes

For sure, it’s already Elseworlds by designation of existing outside of the main film continuity, let alone being so different from the Jokers we already know. I guess I just prefer this sort of radically different take on characters in the comics instead of adaptations

3 Likes

What I find hilarious about everyone acting like Affleck is the be-all-end-all of Batman, is that when he was first announced social media through a massive tantrum over it and wouldn’t stop posting about how he would be the worst Batman ever and should be banned from ever playing another superhero after Daredevil a decade ago and submitted an actual petition to then-President Obama asking him to ban Affleck from ever playing Batman for the next century or so.

Now Pattinson is taking on the mantle…and social media is doing the exact same thing with him demanding Affleck come back because he’s the greatest Batman ever and Pattinson will totally ruin the franchise and should be banned because he was in the Twilight films a decade ago.

The real hot take is that pretty much every new Batman actor is met with this same response, even if the technology and means of expressing it are different. People thought Bale would suck because he was in “Newsies” (and also because he wasn’t American), and people thought Keaton would suck before him because he was in “Mr. Mom.”

4 Likes

See, I’d argue the exact opposite. Zack Snyder’s movies are best when characters are talking and not punching. He does well with dramatic scenes, but the action scenes are excessive.

Speaking of which, Hot Take: action scenes in superhero movies are typically terrible.

1 Like

I’d argue that none of Snyder’s characters ever talk or act like real human beings, but the man is an absolute master at crafting visuals, which is why his films always look distinct and even beautiful, but fail on a purely storytelling level.

I completely disagree.

If you want characters who don’t talk like humans, there’s always the Christopher Nolan movies. And not just his Batman trilogy.

2 Likes