DC Universe Comic Book Reading Challenge

For this one, I read Who’s Who vol 9. This issue covered The Green Lanterns and Green Lantern Corps, even the Guardians, so it was a no brainer for me. I enjoyed learning more about lesser known characters like Grim Ghost. These issues arent for everyone, but if you have a deep thirst for a better understanding of early DC history, I’d recommend this series

1 Like

For this challenge, I read TITANS (2016) #29-32, the storyline which introduces Green Lantern Kyle Rayner to the team. I gave this series another chance in the 2019 challenges after being initially disappointed by it, and liked what I saw. So I used this pick as an opportunity to catch up again. But even as Kyle becomes part of the merry gang, the real star of this arc is Donna Troy, who finally steps into her role as team leader.

2 Likes

For this one, I read Titans #27-30. I really enjoy the team dynamic and all the things they are going thru. One thing I don’t like about the book is, Ms Martian. The character just annoys the ■■■■ outta me. She’s a whiner. I didn’t like her on young justice and nothing’s changed in the books.

For this one, I read DC 1st Batgirl/Joker. I liked the story, hated the art. But, what’re you gonna do?
Second, I read DC Comics Presents Green Lantern Julius Schwartzman Tribute Issue. It was interesting. Nice tribute to a legend.
Lastly, I read DC Universe vs The Masters of the Universe #1. He man was one of my favorites as a kid. To see the heroes from Earth combine with the heroes of Eternia was a lot of fun. I look forward to finishing this series and seeing how it plays out

I took your advice on this one and read both Green Lantern comics. I loved it! The way the book was laid out made me feel as if I was watching a tv show. These were masterfully done tales. For my 3 rd selection, I read Wonder Woman. I enjoyed it more after I read it than while I was reading it. If that makes sense. I would recommend to anyone who might be looking for something a little different

1 Like

For this challenge, I read DOOM PATROL (1964) #99-101 and 103-104: the first appearances of Beast Boy! Issue 99 features Beast Boy’s introduction to the team. 100 is a double feature: Beast Boy’s origin story, and a flashback showing us Robotman’s origin — a story which continues in backups through 101, 103, and beyond. (Maybe I’ll get to the rest in a future challenge.) I skipped 102, because it’s the second half of a Challengers of the Unknown crossover not currently on DCU. This chunk ends on a big note, though: Doom Patrol #104 is the wedding of Mento and Elasti-Girl! Some special guests in attendance: Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman, The Flash, Kid Flash, Robin, Wonder Girl, and… Super-Hip.

2 Likes

For this one I read #21-25 of Supergirl (2016). I always enjoy her stories. I liked the guest appearance by the Lanterns. But, my favorite part was definitely, Krypto. Who doesn’t need a Super Dog?

1 Like

For this one, I read #'s 1-5 of The Fury of Firestorm The Nuclear Men. Again, I enjoyed these stories. Having two separate Firestorms but needing each other to make it happen,was a cool twist. Im definitely gonna go back and finish this series

1 Like

For this challenge, I read CAVE CARSON HAS AN INTERSTELLAR EYE, follow-up series to Young Animal’s CAVE CARSON HAS A CYBERNETIC EYE. Tons of style on every page; a real work of Sequential Art. At times, the story can be hard to follow, but the emotional core is always present.

2 Likes

For this challenge, I read Who’s Who: The Definitive Directory of the DC Universe #19. Why? Because it’s the one with The Question in it! Interesting to see that before O’Neil’s series started, Who’s Who placed Q’s base of operations in Chicago rather than Hub City.

1 Like

1. Read a title that only has ONE issue in the comic section.
2. Start and finish a series that features a mystic character in the book.
3. Read at least 3 issues of a book that has the name of a major DC villain in the title (i.e. The Joker or Deathstroke).
4. Read a 3 issues of a title not in the main DC continuity.
5. Read 10 issues of a title starring Wonder Woman
6. Read 10 issues of a title starring Batman
7. Read 10 issues of a title starring Superman
Man of Steel by Byrne
8. Read a series heralded as a mini-series
Man of Steel by Byrne
9. Read 5 issues from a title of a character that you have never read an issue of before.
10. Read at least 3 issues of a title focused on a female that is not Wonder Woman
11. Read at least 3 issues of a title featuring a Bat-family member
12. Read at least 3 issues of a team-up book (not a team book, but a team-up book like Superman + someone else)
13. Read at least 3 issues of a team book (i.e. Suicide Squad, Justice Society of America, Titans, Teen Titans, or Justice League)
Justice League Dark by Tynion
14. Wild Card – Read any book in the comic book section that you desire and report it back here for this slot.
15. Get a recommendation from someone and read however many issues they state you should read. Ask a forum member, a friend, the assign a comic thread, or in community 2.0 message the mods for a recommendation (maybe not, depending on how often they get messaged).
Recommend me something! Anything that’s not 300 issues of Hellblazer.
16. Read three of the tie-in titles for DC’s event CONVERGENCE
17. Read any book in the library that is not a DC Comic (i.e. Wildstorm or the limited amount of Vertigo titles)
18. Read one of the tie-in titles to Infinite Crisis. They are Days of Vengeance, Ran-Thannagar War, Villains United, and OMAC Project.
Rann-Thannagar War is amazing and I always forget it happened.
19. Read at least 3 issues of a book with a SPEEDSTER in the title of the book. (i.e. The Flash or Impulse)
Final Crisis - Rogues Revenge
20. Read at least 3 issues of a book published on or before 1979
Green Lantern/Green Arrow by O’Neill
21. Read at least 3 issues of a book published during or after 1980
22. Read 5 issues of any of the follow: Tiny Titans, Super Powers, or Super Friends.
23. Read at least 5 issues of a book that has the name of a major DC location in the title.
Gotham Central
24. Read at least one issue written by the following three writers: Geoff Johns, Mark Waid, and Gail Simone.
Johns - Rogues Revenge
Waid -
Simone -
25. Read at least one issue drawn by the following three artists: Neal Adams, George Perez, and Joe Kubert

2 Likes

For this challenge, I read 1st Issue Special #1-4: a series of “pilot issues” from the ‘70s for wildly different potential series, which is just now being uploaded to DC Universe issue by issue.

First, we had Jack Kirby’s ATLAS, a very Kirbyesque take on the Conan-style sword and sorcery milieu! This version of Atlas would go on to become a rival to Superman.

Then, we had Joe Simon’s GREEN TEAM: BOY MILLIONAIRES, an adventure club of very wealthy young boys — and one shoeshiner who accidentally ends up with a million bucks of his own. This concept was rebooted as THE GREEN TEAM: TEEN TRILLIONAIRES during The New 52. It was canceled after 8 issues.

Third was a guy we’ve all heard of before, METAMORPHO! This wasn’t his first appearance, but it was an attempt to launch his own solo series.

And finally: LADY COP. The unbelievable story of a LADY… who is also a COP! Liza Warner, the titular Lady Cop, was not seen again after this issue until Gail Simone brought her back in ALL-NEW ATOM — as a police woman on active duty in Ivy Town!

2 Likes

For this challenge, I read the following issues:

DC RETROACTIVE: BATMAN — THE ‘80S #1. Having recently gone through Mike W. Barr’s terrific Batman run from the mid-80s, this issue from 2011 served as a delightful coda tying together his work developing Jason Todd as Robin and his “Year Two” storyline with The Reaper.

DC COMICS PRESENTS: WONDER WOMAN ADVENTURES 100-PAGE SPECTACULAR. Collecting Wonder Woman’s stories from the “ADVENTURES IN THE DC UNIVERSE” series! While the cover makes it seem like the closest thing to a solo Wonder Woman series in the DCAU, AitDCU was more like a kid friendly version of the DCU’s status quo at the time. Similar in some ways to Wonder Woman as she appears in Timm & Doni’s Justice League, but different in others. Don’t go in expecting any references to the shows.

DC COMICS PRESENTS #5 (1979). A team-up story where Superman and Aquaman battle the treacherous Ocean Master… and settle a long standing issue in continuity! This is the story where it is finally explained how young Clark’s own adventures in Atlantis, where he met the charming mermaid Lori Lemaris, can coexist with the Atlantis as depicted in the stories of Aquaman. Here, it is revealed that Atlantis is not one city-state, but two: Poseidonis, home of Aquaman, and Tritonis, home of Lori Lemaris. And when the two undersea cities are manipulated into war by Ocean Master, it’s only Superman and Aquaman’s combined efforts which can restore the peace. This issue was a real treat. Usually I have to go diving on my own for pearls like this for my weekly column, so discovering this lost treasure of continuity felt like my own sunken chest.

2 Likes

For this challenge, I read Justice League Dark #2-4. I’m really enjoying Wonder Woman in this type of role. It’s different than her usual realm but still awesome! To satisfy the Superman and Batman potion of the challenge, I read Justice League #40-45. The first half of Darkseid War has been awesome! I love Batman on the Mobius Chair. I can’t wait to go back and finish the story. As a matter of fact, I’m gonna do that right now.

1 Like

For this challenge, I read the following titles:

THE BATMAN. A tale from Dan Jurgens, taking the “Dark Knight” concept quite literally. Half Etrigan, half Metal Men.

NIGHTWING. Feeling like this one is mostly chasing the thrill of just how radically you could change a character or concept based on its name alone, as characters both minor and obscure are thrown at you hard and fast through the whole issue in brand new ways. As a taste, one of the most significant characters in it is Gravedigger. It also features a take on Black Orchid that, uh… has not aged well.

WONDER WOMAN. First of all, there’s a part of me that just loves how crazy 90s this design is. Second, the philosophy angle is pretty cute. She’s literally a “WONDER” Woman, get it? As a Question fan, I can respect it, though it could have been executed more elegantly. Then again, subtlety is clearly not what the Tangent line is about.

1 Like

For this one I read Dollar Bill. It’s one of the more obscure Watchmen titles and I had never read this particular one. I enjoyed the tale of how he was pressured in to being a superhero by having everyday problems like paying bills. You never know where your heroes are gonna come from, right?

1 Like

I read DC Universe vs Masters of the Universe mini series for this one. I enjoyed it as i had never read He man comics before. Skeletor looked wicked with no jaw! And I loved Teelas attitude. I’m not sure how i felt about Dark Orko tho. Wasnt a fan of his as a kid, and that seems to have carried over to an adult. I would recommend to any He man fan.

1 Like

For this challenge, I read HARLEY’S LITTLE BLACK BOOK #1-4, and #6. I previously read #5 for the 2019 DCU challenge, for the Neal Adams assignment. These stories are some of the best of Harley’s long run under Conner and Palmiotti, really playing her off a wide variety of DC’s greatest stars. I met Jimmy Palmiotti and Amanda Conner at NYCC and got them to sign this collected volume. Jimmy said this is some of his favorite work he’s done with Harley, and it shows.

1 Like