DC Universe Community Roll Call: Tell Us About Yourself!

I’ll have to start smallville too now, thanks for telling me more of what it’s about. I love superman hes one of my favorites. Its mainly every one I know in my personal life that isn’t into comics like me that say superman is unrelateable. I love superman because hes so unrealateable but unfortunately some people would rather read something relatable instead of give supse a try. I feel like if I can make a superman hater (like my one freind) like superman by getting him to read allstar superman, it may be a gateway for most people to get into comics in general. lol. Also supergirl is amazing I think you would love it. It’s a great show. I’d also suggest Krypton if you haven already, that is phenomenal. All I say about Krypton is… Lobo

2 Likes

Had to really think about all this, but, here goes. Born in Mass. Now residing in Georgia. In between, I am a Navy veteran, went to college with Mike Uslan, was a police officer, a graduate of the Kubert Art School, a storyboard artist and a few other things before I retired.

Who, or what got me into comics? Well, as best I can recall, it was the tv Adventures of Superman I watched as a kid. That, and the few comics I used to find at the barbershop. A coverless issue of Captain Marvel comes to mind, in that it was also probably my first introduction to racism in comics. Billy Batson had a stereotypicaly drawn servant or something with him. Decades later, I would learn this was his valet called " Steamboat." My, how times have changed.

Favorite DC character, hero or villain? Started out as Batman, moved to Eclipso (that Toth art is what did it) and finally I guess, the Spectre. Who really knows what evil lurks in the hearts of men!

Best beginning comic show or movie.? That’s a toughie. But I’d have to go with the Big Bang Theory. Covers a lot of bases.

Fan casting a favorite character. That’s easy. Would’ve been Jim Carrey as Plastic Man. Only trouble is, the Mask got to him first!

I’m a voracious reader and book collector. Also into old radio shows and movie serials. The very entertainment my mom used to enjoy. Comicbook carry over, I guess.

Finally, I do enjoy a Hawaiian pizza every now and then. Also, a good salad, sushi, blueberry pancakes and lightly salted cashews. Variety, is the spice of life!

3 Likes

Noice! yeah, Lex is definitely my reason for watching Smallville and Lena my reason for watching Supergirl. I like it…it finds a way to suck me back every season, but the season with the other Kryptonian, what was his name? anyways, I have beef with it to say the least. I will definitely give Krypton a go! I just caught up with Harley Quinn, not too bad! Initially I signed up for DC Universe for the comics (so difficult time-wise and financially to keep up w/ the new releases and then they just gone!), but I’m really enjoying the community. It’s nice to meet people w/ similar interests. I was extremely lucky in finding my housemates(they actually found me) because they are the only people I’ve come across that have the same nerdy, comicbook loving interests as I do!

3 Likes

Dad read Marvel and is still flabbergasted that my sister and I are huge DC fans! As for the comic shop it has lengthened my reading list 10 fold lol​:sweat_smile:

2 Likes

It’s so interesting to get a peek into how you create these games, @GL-Batophobia! Whether it’s making pieces and a board to play on or designing code, I’m always super impressed to see the level of creativity it takes to create and run a campaign. :slight_smile: Thank you for sharing this pic of Meowster Chief - she is indeed a very fine cat. :catwoman_hv_4:

Welcome to our community as well, @JacobKozik! :raised_hands: It’s really so good to have you here and we’re just as excited as you are to have you join our little family. Please do feel free to make yourself right at home!

I hope you don’t mind if I jump in as well, @hannabug99.83221, but hearing how much you care about your father is absolutely heartwarming. It’s always touching to hear about when parents help to spark their child’s passion in comics and I’m glad that was the case for you and your dad.

@wrightline1.42741, it’s a pleasure to have you here as well! :slight_smile: You certainly have quite a history with comics, from the sound of it! I can’t imagine how cool it must have been to learn that you went to school with Mike Islan. Did you share any classes, by any chance?

It’s also really interesting to hear how your taste in characters has evolved over time. What would you say draws you to these darker characters, if you don’t mind my asking?

4 Likes

@GL-Batophobia - Checking out experimental methods must be interesting, and with all the options there are to try, I can understand why including others would help (though working with them sounds as much fun as playing them with others must be!). As they say, “teamwork makes the dream work”? :slight_smile: It’s awesome hearing from someone who actually creates them!

Thank you for honoring our thread with The Meowster Chief’s presence, too, by the way. :hushed: That costume’s adorable, and I love how the bottom half makes the Batman logo stand out even better. Clearly, she not only has a name worth being jealous of, but taste to match! :wink:

@dorian.wilde03.57846 - I know what you mean… when it comes to conventions, there’s sometimes so much going on all at once that it’s hard to catch your breath, and just got have to go to a quiet place to get your head straight. Still, your friend sounds like the perfect person to attend one with, and it’s great when friends know us so well that they can introduce us to things they know we’ll enjoy… but that we just haven’t caught up to being aware that we’ll enjoy yet! :smile: Those cosplay options sound delightful, so please keep us updated on how things go there. We’re always happy to see cosplaying in our Fan Creations section!

@hannabug99.83221 - Aww, of course, I really do love hearing about relatives, so I’m honored you’d share more info with us! :heart: Wow, I can’t put into words how sweet it was of you to search so extensively for your dad’s present. And for him to shed tears like that… it’s so good to know he has you - someone who so clearly cares not only for him, but about his interests, too! That’s definitely something that’ll be cherished. :blush:

@Lexi0900 - Ahh, makes perfect sense with your having mentioned Spiderman. :hushed: I can imagine him going, “but… I did everything right! How’d DC get them?” followed by it going full Scooby Doo with “Those meddling kids!” :stuck_out_tongue: I bet the shared interest in comics results in a fun time watching superhero movies with family, though. :slight_smile: And based on your reading list, it sounds like the community’s “2020 Comic Reading Challenge” might be to your liking!

4 Likes

Thanks for the kind words " Zatanna. " No, Mike and I never shared any classes, although he did ask me to teach one, though. I was also part owner of a college bookstore at the time. Mike came in one day and caught me looking at the new comics that had come in that week. We started talking, found we had a lot of common interests. Been friends ever since. He was putting together a college credited course on comics. The first of it’s kind in the country, if I remember correctly. He thought I’d be a good instructor. I guess I didn’t. Or maybe I was just to busy. So, I passed on it. Not the last time someone asked me to teach. But, not everybody’s cut out for it.

My fondness for " dark " characters goes back quite a ways. Starting with the old Universal film monsters, I guess. Especially those with duel natures, like the Wolfman and Jekyll & Hyde. They got me started reading the classics in the genre. Eclipso was the DC version of that. Spectre has always intrigued me because of his direct tie-in to the Christian faith. I love the way comics (DC, Marvel, others) play with Theology and Mythology at the same time. Makes for some interesting story telling. Don’t you think?

4 Likes

Thanks for the tip! I’ll definitely join that now!:open_book:

2 Likes

Of course, any time! :slight_smile: Can’t wait to see how things go with your goals as the year progresses!

1 Like

Where are you from? Oklahoma

What or who got you into comics?
My Dad and I would hit all the comics shops on Saturday. We would have Father and son weekends, where I would help him with Mom’s to do list for him.

Do you have a favorite DC character, either superhero or villain? Batman is all time favorite character because I bullied when I was young for being different. Batman fights for the ones can’t like Grayson, Todd and Drake.

What comic, TV show, or movie do you recommend to people who have never read comics before? Batman the animated series. 1989 Batman movie, Any of the Christopher Reed Superman movies, there’s quite a list.

What’s your perfect casting of your favorite character? Heath Ledger as Mr. J.

What are some of your other, non-DC interests? I enjoying writing. I also read and draw manga. I enjoy anime as well.

Do you accept pineapple on your pizza? If it’s offered I’ll eat it as a gesture of kindness, but no I’m a meat lover stuffed crust type of guy.

2 Likes

@Dark_Knight_of_Rohan Welcome, welcome! We’re glad you’re here!

It’s so fun to hear about parents getting their kids into comics and sharing such a dynamic hobby. :star_struck:

Batman: The Animated Series is a favorite here and definitely a great go-to recommendation for non-comic folks! It’s actually my current re-watch show.

If you like writing, make sure to check out our Fan Creations section! Every so often there’s writing prompt threads in there!

2 Likes

Thank you very much. I’m happy to be a part of the community.

2 Likes

Portland, Oregon born and raised. still reside here.
i have had a strong love of comics since childhood, and for the last 1/3 of my life so far have been working for a comic retailer owned by a comic book publisher.
i love a wide range of the DC universe, as evident by my username.
i collect figures and statues, as well as comics. i don’t expect many to read this, but i thank those of you who do! and pineapple absolutely belongs on pizza.

3 Likes

Hello everyone, I am from Long Beach, California. I guess since i was a kid i love superheroes but i started getting into comics around 12 (I am now 19) then went to comic con in my city and i fell more in love with them. Ooh favorite villain has to be Ivy, Save the Plants. A movie i would recommend would be The Killing Joke (for adults not the kids). Perfect casting would be Katie McGrath As Ivy, she knows how to act as a villain and she gorgeous as well. Other non related interest are Thor and Spiderman but the Toby Maguire one. Also the pineapple on pizza depends IF its baked well yes.

6 Likes

Oh wow, @wrightline1.42741, that’s really interesting! :smiley: It’s so cool to hear that you have such a close friendship with Mike and thank you for sharing your experiences with us. I also have to agree, there’s something very interesting about darker characters. The way that they toe the moral line always makes them so much fun to read about and they’re personal favorites of mine, as well.

I’d also like to welcome you to our community, @Dark_Knight_of_Rohan - even if @BestBeastBoy’s already said hi as well . I’m so glad to hear that you were able to connect with your father through comics and that these comics helped you through your more negative experiences. Luckily, I’m sure that you’ll find a very warm welcome here on our community and hope that you fit right in with others who’ve found connections with these characters. :slight_smile: If you need anything, please don’t hesitate to reach out to myself or another member of the moderation team.

Oh wow, @Snowflame, you must have a passion for comics! :open_mouth: It’s amazing to hear that you’ve been able to make a career out of your love for comic books. You mentioned that you have a wide range of comic interests, do you happen to have a shortlist of favorite titles?

And last, but certainly not least, welcome to our community @mazzzahs! We have plenty of Poison Ivy lovers here on our community, so I’m sure you’ll have no trouble fitting right in. :smiley: I’m so glad that you were able to really fall in love with comics when at Comic Con and hope that you’ll discover a similar passion here.

3 Likes

I’m not a fan of sharing my location but I can say I’m from the west!

I got into DC when I started watching teen titans (the old one) when I was three years old (I’m now 14 and I’ll be 15 this year) and ever since, I’ve fallen in love.

My favorite character is Damian Wayne (AKA Robin) cause I can relate to him on so many topics

I’d say some good shows to watch would be Flash, teen titans and Batman the animated series (it’s a classic)

Aiden Gallagher would play an amazing Damian Wayne I think cause they both have that serious look haha

My non-DC interest would be art. Becoming a comic book inker is my dream job and my biggest focus right now!!

And last but not least, no. I think pineapple is icky…

3 Likes

Thanks again for the kindness “Z” (can I call you Z?) I just wanted to add one I forgot on my short list of morally challenged characters. The Demon. Don’t know why I forgot him. He’s been a fav of mine since King Kirby first introduced him. Even though he “borrowed” his look from Hal Foster’s Prince Valiant, I never held that against him. Any pro out there will tell you, " if you’re goin’ steal, steal from the best!"

1 Like

Hi @_olive.lyn! Happy to have you as a member on the forum! :slight_smile:
Thank you for sharing your introduction! I love your list of show recommendations - is there one that stands out as a favorite for you? Your interest in art is also great to hear, and it sounds like you’ll fit right in with our community in the Fan Creations section! If you choose to share it, we look forward to seeing some of your artwork! :smiley:

3 Likes

I’m from New Jersey! What got me into comics was the Batman Animated Series and the X-men Animated Series. My favorite DC character is Bruce Wayne aka Batman closely followed by Damian. I definitely recommend the BAS and Justice League tv shows. Hm. I don’t have a perfect casting for Batman but I’m excited to see what Robert Pattinson does with The Batman. Other non-DC interests lies in sports and cars. NO pineapple on pizza ever!

2 Likes

Feel free to call me Z, @wrightline1.42741. Etrigan happens to be a favorite character of mine as well. The dichotomy between him and his vessel is always so much fun to see. :slight_smile:

Thank you again for taking the time to let us get to know you!

And welcome to the community as well. @Yasaboo! It’s always nice to meet someone who shares my, admittedly uncommon, appreciation for Damian Wayne. I’ve always had a soft spot for those acerbic jerks, personally. May I ask what it is about Bruce and Damian that makes them top the list of your favourite characters?

3 Likes