DC Universe Community Roll Call: Tell Us About Yourself!

Thank you for the warm welcome @MissInkBlot :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

I actually had a subscription of sorts the first year here. I am pretty shy and reserved in real life and it follows me online, so you might not see, or hear, from me on the forums much.

Where are you from?
Small town in northern Arizona
What or who got you into comics?
I’ve actually never read comics growing up. Just didn’t have them or access to them. Around the time of The Dark Knight Trilogy and Phase 1 of the MCU, I got more of an interest in superheroes (more-so DC) and went from there. (I really like the comic library access here, that’ll help me read more!)
Do you have a favorite DC character, either superhero or villain?
I like them all! If I had to narrow it down a bit: Green Lantern, Wonder Woman, Deathstroke, Black Manta
What comic, TV show, or movie do you recommend to people who have never read comics before?
Maybe The Flashpoint Paradox, comic or animated film.
What’s your perfect casting of your favorite character?
Gal Gadot’s Wonder Woman is fantastic!!! :heart_eyes: The entire cast of Batman v Superman was incredible… really wish we could’ve stuck with it.
What are some of your other, non-DC interests?
Music. Guitar. Vinyl Records. Xbox. Star Wars (pre-Disney).
Do you accept pineapple on your pizza?
YES! Hawaiian style pizzas are my FAVORITE. Has anyone also tried pineapple on your hamburger?

4 Likes

YES!!! A fellow Barbara fan

2 Likes

First time posting!

Was avoiding DC Universe. Too many streaming services as it is…and as far as comics go, I was set with Marvel Unlimited. But…

I HAD to see the new Harley Quinn animated show, and I’d read that DC Universe’s online digital library was much improved, so I upped…and I’m really glad I did!

Not only has Harley completely exceeded my expectations, but also the breadth and depth of DC Universe’s offerings floored me, not to mention this wonderful community (Marvel Unlimited doesn’t have THAT!) So, I figured it was time I introduced myself to all you great people.

So…I’m from Los Angeles

What got me into comics originally was the old Hanna Barbera Super Friends animated series from the 70’s. Had to be up early as a kid to see them, and when the Legion of Doom made its appearance, I was hooked. So it’s been nice to revisit all those episodes right here on DC Universe! So, I started as a DC fan. Then my mom’s then-boyfriend was a big Marvel fan, so for many years, I was over there. Now that I’m happily mature, I realize that one can love BOTH, which I do!

Favorite DC characters would have to start with Hal Jordan and Sinestro (back to those Super Friends again). Then I’d spin off into the Trinity (who can’t help but love those three?). And then gotta love Joker, Harley, Ivy and Selina!

For new comics people, for Marvel, I’d say the MCU films, while for DC, I’d say the Timm/Dini animated series. From there, jumping to comics, I’d say Byrne’s Man of Steel miniseries and Miller’s Batman Year One and The Dark Knight Returns.

Perfect castings…Mark Hamill’s Joker, Kevin Conroy and Ben Affleck’s Batman, Christopher Reeve’s Superman, and Gal Gadot’s Wonder Woman. Oh jeez, and how could I forget the unholy Trinity of Harleys, Arleen Sorkin, Margot Robbie and now, Kaley Cuoco! And Lake Bell is pretty dope as Ivy too!

Non-DC interests? Marvel, Star Wars, Blizzard Games, Harry Potter, Disney, and DC Universe Online (GREAT game and a must-play for any diehard DC fan. To see and play with those iconic characters in those iconic locations? Amazing!)

Pineapple on Pizza? Not for me…

That’s enough to be getting on with, as they say.

4 Likes

Welcome to the forums @black_bat :slightly_smiling_face:!
Happy to have you here and hope you enjoy them.

4 Likes

@LDFM - Aww, welcome to the forums from a fellow introvert (and lover of pineapple-topped pizza! :pizza: + :pineapple: = :partying_face:). :slight_smile: We’re happy to be able to have the chance to read your introduction, and appreciate your sharing it with us!

It’s cool to hear that your interest in DC superheroes is the result of such an interesting beginning - since you didn’t begin with comics, once you decided to start reading them, were there any that caught your eye first? Along with the community’s 2020 Reading Challenge being something you might like, your interest in music will be right at home here, especially if you choose to take part in our weekly Mixtape Monday thread!

@black_bat - Hi there, and welcome to the forum! :slight_smile: Not only am I glad to hear the temptation was too much to keep you away, but I’m delighted to hear you’re liking Harley Quinn so far! :wink: You have so many wonderful favorites shared, and your excitement pops from the screen, so we thank you dearly for your introduction, and the kind words shared - the community’s a reflection of the people within it, so it’s a joy to have members like you present to make it all the better! Thanks for the recommendations, as well… I’ve been meaning to check out DCUO, so I’m happy for the additional prompting to do so! :stuck_out_tongue:

4 Likes

Time to revisit and update this. Hawkman is my favorite hero. There I’m done. Also welcome to any newcomers!

1 Like

I’m Jake age 35 born and raised in Indianapolis Indiana. Love DC Comics I even think my wife get jealous. I would like to know how to get one of those awesome boxes filled with goodies.

3 Likes

Be a really nice person on the DCU, be active, and just spend time building relationships with fellow fans.

3 Likes

Thanks @MissInkBlot! Introverts unite!

Comic wise, I’ve started with a couple of story lines I’ve seen mentioned in my travels… Red Son, The Long Halloween, currently going through Blackest Night. Since there’s SO many, I’m not too sure where to start, but I figured those might be good.
And I’ll take a look at those threads, maybe I can find some stuff to contribute.

5 Likes

Hi everyone!
I’m Travis, hence the T in my name. I’m a graduate student in ethnomusicology at the University of Hawai‘i. I recently got married to the man of my dreams, but he has to stay in his home country of the Philippines to fulfill a visa requirement (It’s a long story…), so while he’s away for a year I’m trying not to be too sad and lonely by catching up on some DC stuff I’ve kind of gotten behind on in the last few years. So please everyone, keep me busy! :grin:

Here are the answers to the questions above:

1. Where are you from? The first state (Delaware)
  2. What or who got you into comics? I grew up in the best time for DC animated stuff, so that’s what got me into comics. I started out watching B:TAS (I still have a B:TAS blanket from when I was 3) and it grew from there.
  3. Do you have a favorite DC character, either superhero or villain? Batman. Hands down.
  4. What comic, TV show, or movie do you recommend to people who have never read comics before? Oh boy, I would recommend B:TAS, The Dark Knight Trilogy, and Court of Owls.
  5. What’s your perfect casting of your favorite character? Um… Idk if anyone could be a PERFECT Batman. I like Val Kilmer and Ben Affleck’s Batman though (even if their suits and the stories weren’t the best).
  6. What are some of your other, non-DC interests? I’m obsessed with music, a devout Buddhist, and I also like Japanese culture and language (I spent two years working in Japan and got certified in tea ceremony and the shakuhachi flute).
  7. Do you accept pineapple on your pizza? No. Never. Pineapple on pizza is an abomination.
4 Likes

Hello @tshaver!
Congratulations on your marriage! We will certainly try to help distract you until he returns. Might I suggest our 2020 Reading Challenge that @MissInkBlot mentioned earlier, as well as our ABC Reading Challenge I’ve found both very enjoyable.
( I hope you won’t judge me too harshly for my love of pineapples on pizza :grin: )

6 Likes

Nice to meet you Travis, that’s my middle name.

2 Likes

Hello @black_bat and welcome!
I grew up mostly on DC, but Marvel naturally made it’s way in my heart. I’m glad to hear you are “happily mature” enough to appreciate both :grin: (great description because honestly I know so many people who aren’t, bless their hearts)
Loving your wide list of suggestions! Something for everyone.
Also, Non-DC Interests :heart: :heart: :laughing: I haven’t tried the DC Universe Online, but I will certainly check it out.

3 Likes

Hello @LDFM (fellow introvert :grin:)
DC Universe has been the only community so far that I’ve felt comfortable joining. Everyone has been so great and I hope we get to see you more in the forums.
I heartily agree on Gal Gadot’s Wonder Woman. Best. Wonder Woman. EVER. As much as I love and honor Lynda Carter, Gal Gadot is perfection in my eyes.
Oh, and it is so nice to know I’m not alone in my love of Hawaiian Pizza. I have not tried pineapple on my hamburger, but I will definitely try it.

3 Likes

It seems like a great community! A lot of the time it just seems that I don’t have a lot to say anyways. I like to listen and observe, hahaha.
I’m really hoping with the upcoming WW84 movie, she’ll maybe promote some Conventions. I also started the old Wonder Woman show with Lynda, it’s fun! I like the '66 Batman stuff and its in the same wheelhouse by the looks of it. I like my dark and gritty DC, but also enjoy pure cheesiness.
Red Robin (the restaurant) has a Banzai burger, that has pineapple. If you have one of those around. Haven’t eaten there in years, but I had that last time I was there.

3 Likes

Thanks @NovellPaladin! I’ll definitely check out the reading challenges, I appreciate the suggestions.

(I guess I’ll give you a pass on the pineapple pizza :laughing:)

4 Likes

Thanks for the welcome @NovellPaladin! If you really do plan on checking out DC Universe Online, let me know! Would enjoy showing someone new around Gotham, Metropolis, the Watchtower, the Hall of Doom, and so many other iconic locations! And the in-game cinematics by Jim Lee are incredible.

4 Likes

Hi there! I’m from Michigan (but not in or around Detroit) my dad got me into comics mainly spider-man and other Marvel characters although him and I did watch BTAS as a kid.

Probably favorite DC character at the moment is WW but I do love joker

I usually recommend if someone’s not into comics the MCU or I personally am loving and have been showing people the Harley Quinn show

Perfect casting I have to say is Gal Gadot as WW its everything I imagine, strong, learning to blend in but truly loving people and life. Ugh so perfect

As for non dc interests I cant recommend Bojack enough

Pineapple on pizza is unacceptable but not as bad as anchovies

4 Likes

Hey everyone. My name is Shawn and I’m from the Scranton, PA area. My late father got me into comics, he was a huge Superman fan. I miss him every day.

My favorite DC Character is Batman, again thanks to my dad who took me to Batman 89 when he probably shouldn’t have, I was 5 haha.

For my non comic friends I usually recommend the CW shows as they are generally crowd pleasers.

I’m partial to Batfleck, but I’m excited for Battinson.

Outside of comics I myself work on the Independent Wrestling scene,so I am a pro wrestling fan.

Anything can go on a pizza if it makes you happy folks. Live and love your truth.

3 Likes