DC Universe Community Roll Call: Tell Us About Yourself!

1 Like

@PracticingGenius, welcome to the forums! What you said about reading what’s on tv is interesting… since that was your view of it, did you read them to learn more about each character’s background, or mainly as a way to have the plot continue while waiting for upcoming show episodes? Good to come across more manga readers, and happy to see you’ve found the thread on that in our Iceberg Lounge (was just going to recommend it to you). You’re on the ball! :slight_smile:

@kchapman.8601, it looks like someone’s well-prepared for this Friday! :wink:

2 Likes

Yeah, I’m a bit of a lore hunter so I figured comics would help me get a good explanation as to who they were as far as personality and history so yes, definitely that.

3 Likes

:thinking:Where are you from? Wichita, Kansas
:thinking:What or who got you into comics? I got into comics watching the Saturday Morning cartoons as a kid. I watched everything from TMNT, to Justice League and on. I have love and passion for both Marvel and DC and still do.
:thinking:Do you have a favorite DC character, either superhero or villain? Hmm nice question I’d have to say Batman and then Superman, The grew up watching them both.
:thinking:What comic, TV show, or movie do you recommend to people who have never read comics before? Hmm watch the old Superman TV show and Batman I love them both and well made, then came the flash and Wonder Woman.
:thinking:What’s your perfect casting of your favorite character?Hmm well I so am loving Stephen Amell as Oliver Queen, he has worked so hard to put this character off real good. So sad see see him go but I understand it’s so demanding to stay in tip top shape.
:thinking:What are some of your other, non-DC interests? Well I am big into Star-wars
:thinking:Do you accept pineapple on your pizza? no

2 Likes

It’s a pleasure to welcome you to our community, @DcYogiBear! A lot of users here, myself included, got into comics through animated shows. Seeing characters come to life on screen was always just so magical to me. :smiley:

There are a number of threads in the Everything DC: TV & Originals section that might call to you in particular. Please feel free to jump right in, you’re more than welcome to join the fun!

1 Like

1.) Georgia, USA.
2.) To connect with my cosplaying hobby, my dad suggested a father/daughter Batman/Robin costume. At the time, I wasn’t into “comics”, per say, so much as the cartoons based on the comics. An afternoon of research into the Robin costume, I quickly figured out there was more than one Robin, and it was basically all over from there. I think I started reading the old Robin run, quickly followed by the original Young Justice, basically anything with Tim Drake in it I could get my hands on…
3.) Tim Drake! He was my first Robin, the first character to get me into Comics, and, of course, my first DC cosplay. Tim’s original run was such a relatable character, he had such a beautiful friendship with Conner and Bart and big brother Dick, and the complexities surrounding juggling his found family with his still-alive birth family made him stand out storyline wise.
4.) I will always recommend American Alien to people. A young Clark Kent is my jam, still learning to use his powers, learning his place in the world, having Alien Feels. This is a flawed but ultimately still kind and well-meaning Clark, and the way it crosses over with Batman is hilarious. Nothing like a good lamp-shading of how similar Clark and Bruce can look at times!
5.) Oooooh… hmm, Aidan Gallagher might make a good Tim Drake. He’s already proven he can play “grown up,” and Tim’s that sort of overly-adult little boy when he’s not being a junk food no sleep racoon.
6.) I generally say my interests are superheros, elves, and vulcans. A bit all over the map, but I do like Tolkien and Star Trek… and Good Omens has always been my favorite book.
7.) Unfortunately, pineapple lovers, I am allergic to raw fruit. The taste is irrelevant.

3 Likes

I am from Tennessee. I started with marvel movies and tv shows. There was an episode of a spiderman tv show where there was an alternate future version of spiderman. He was what got me into comics. I later read a comic called old man Logan which is one of my favorite comics ever. I then learned that I loved darker stories. I then watched some dc animated shows and movies and fell in love with Dick Grayson. I then moved on to read comics like Deathstroke and nightwing and currently the flash I now love flash and am a devoted comic reader. I am on a swim team and it is my favorite thing to do (other than read comics of course). I would love to write comics as an adult. I hope and believe that I love them then as much as I do now! For the final question… NO, pineapples DONT GO WITH PIZZA

3 Likes

Hello and welcome to the fun, @BatfamilyBradyBunch! :smiley: It’s awesome to hear that you have so much love for Tim Drake, he’s a truly amazing character. I’m sure you’ll find plenty of other people here on the boards who feel the exact same way.

As for the fruit allergy, that’s just awful to hear about! I think I know a certain often-green villainess who might be to blame for that…

1 Like

It’s my pleasure to officially welcome you to our community, @NightwingCanFlyToo! I see we have two Robin fans in a row, though in different incarnations. There are a ton of threads in our General section comparing the different characters who have worn the mask, please feel free to jump right in! :smiley:

Thank you for the introduction, it’s really so nice to get to know you.

2 Likes

Thank you. I have an app similar to this but for marvel and I love it but this is by far better. All of the fan service and people listening to each other in the community. It is outstanding. Thank you dc, keep up the great work!

4 Likes

I live in Richmond, MO. A little town near Kansas City. I’ve read comics most of my life. My favorite characters, I’ll give a top 5 heroes and villains.
Heroes

1. Nightwing
  2. The Protector
  3. Booster Gold
  4. Guardian
  5. Power Girl
    Villains
  6. Deathstroke
  7. Blockbuster
  8. Lex Luthor
  9. Bane
  10. Deadshot

My favorite storyline is probably the Judas Contract. My favorite event storyline is Crisis on Infinite Earths.
My favorite title is Who’s Who.
My favorite DC show is Young Justice or Constantine.

2 Likes

I’m in the process of watching young justice season one right now and I am loving it

1 Like

Welcome @dragginmajik! Another Judas Contract and Constantine fan! Yes!

You’ll fit right in. Welcome, welcome, to our humble community!

2 Likes

Hello I’m Bradley from monett Missouri.
I got into comics when I was about 8 or 9 when my dad brought home a box of comics he got from a garage sale. I picked up an old amazing spiderman book, where carnage was being introduced, but also picked out a Batman outta the box. I was hooked from there.
It’s hard to say my favorite character but I know my favorite comics or stories to read come from Batmans collection and family.If I had to recommend someone to comics though (or at least hero based comics) I’d probably suggest somewhere in Superman. He just really sums up that idea of what a hero is supposed to be. I’ve honestly never really thought about who I’d cast for who hmmmm…Jensen Ackles to play red hood! I know he did the voice in the animated movie but I think hed fit pretty good n his voice really suits the character I thought. Pinapple? Why not?!hahaha

3 Likes

That is an interesting casting choice, Bradley! :smile:

I’m loving your enthusiasm! You seem to have a ton of passion for comics, which is always such a delight to see. There are a ton of people who were introduced to comics through Batman as well, and continue to be passionate about his stories as well. Feel free to look around and find a discussion that strikes your fancy!

2 Likes

2 posts were split to a new topic: Batman vs Obiwan: Who would win?

Hey, I’m a lapsed fan coming back after the New 52/DCYou/Rebirth confusion.

Got into super heroes through shows like Teen Titans and Justice League. I really enjoyed characters like John Stewart & Raven. Their power sets spoke to me and then I got to know the characters behind them.

Current favorite is Cassandra Cain (I have a lot of her solo Batgirl series). Also trying to learn more about Todd Rice/Obsidian. I like the mental health aspects of these characters. They’ve seen the darker sides of humanity and still choose to fight for good while living unique, authentic lives. I’d like to see more of both tbh.

I really like what DC put out around the Infinite Crisis era: Teen Titans, Outsiders, Manhunter, 52, the list goes on. It felt like a time when you could get to know who you were reading without it being erased in a year. Maybe that’s just my own limited perspective though.

I’m currently reading Manhunter & Infinity Inc for the Obsidian content. I need more queer mental health stories! Especially ones where people aren’t vilified for having mental health issues.

Loving Titans on here! Also Doom Patrol but that show is draining. Harley Quinn is fine as far as MH and feminism go but it’s not really pushing the envelope for me yet.

Still looking for the show to push Legion from the top spot. Could be Titans. Could be something else. But rn, Legion is the standard bearer for me. Obsidian could beat it with meeting me at the intersections of queerness & mental health but I don’t see them doing that anytime soon. You never know though

3 Likes

Hi @Piel! Welcome to the forums - it’s a joy to have you! :slight_smile:
Your interest in the particular characters and shows that you mentioned is really interesting, especially hearing about what it is that stands out for you most, from each one’s power sets, to each character’s background story. Thank you for sharing a little about yourself with us; we love hearing what you like and feel could use adjustment, and appreciate your taking the time to give so much feedback!

1 Like

Now that we are officially in Year Two, I suppose it’s time I filled this thing out.

I am originally from the Bay Area, but have lived in Oklahoma for a very long time now. The weather here is more erratic than purple-wearing clowns, but at least the rent it cheap.

I cannot remember the exact thing that introduced me to comic book material, but it was one of a handful of things. Reruns of Batman '66 on Oakland channel 2 as a kid, The Lynda Carter Wonder Woman series, or perhaps just the appearances of a certain Spider-Dude on The Electric Company. I honestly don’t remember a time before I had those three things in my life. I can tell you however, the first comic I remember owning. It was The Flash vol 1 number 313.

The_Flash_Vol_1_313

I was fascinated by people who could run fast, as I never could as a child. This comic has been woven into the fabric of my memory ever since. I was instantly a fan of the medium.

As a result of this story, and the back-up story, my two favorite DC Hero characters of all time are The Flash and Doctor Fate. If you ever get a chance to pick up a collection called “The Immortal Dr. Fate”, which collects all of these back-up stories, you will see why. In particular, I was fascinated by the way Nabu and Kent Nelson weren’t enough by without combining with Inza to defeat one of the villains. While perhaps too young to fully grasp the nuances of what I was reading at the time, I knew I was on to something unique.
Since then, I have collected many more favorite characters on the bookshelves in my mind. I have loved every iteration of Fate, even the one with the knife. Jaime Reyes as the Blue Beetle, Captain Atom, Booster Gold, the list goes on.
One question, that didn’t get asked, but I think is quite important is: Who is your favorite Green Lantern. Mine is Kyle, followed by Jessica. Then John, Hal, Simon…last on the list would be Guy. It was Kyle’s insecurity as a hero that drew me to him. Of the first four of Earth’s GLs he felt the most human. At least at the time. I haven’t read as much of Jessica as I would like, but her struggles with the Earth-3 power ring are compelling. The way she was used in the recent Justice League vs. The Fatal Five movie was brilliant.
My favorite villain is Darkseid, hands-down. He’s evil, he knows it, and he just doesn’t care. He believes that crushing all free-will is the best thing he can do for the universe, but the ultimate security he believes that will create is just a bonus to having Ultimate Power, which is of course the real goal.

My favorite in-betweener is John Constantine. His unfortunate habit of loosing people to win battles, and the guilt and shame that come with it are intriguing. His inability to stay out of the thick of things, even when he’s trying to do just that is also compelling.

For recommending comics, I have to echo a few others here and say DC: The New Frontier. It not only gives you the general idea of comics, but also the importance of the history of them. The fact that it gives you several origin stories doesn’t hurt either.

As far as other media as an introduction to comics, I would have to say the Justice League/JLU animated series would be a good introduction, or Young Justice, for all of the same reasons I mention for The New Frontier. I would recommend The New Frontier movie, but it glosses over the Golden Age stuff too quickly, and I think that stuff was important to feeling out the weight of history in that book.

As far as casting of my favorite characters, I think Grant has already nailed The Flash. He really has grown into that role quite well.
Doctor Fate (Kent Nelson) would be a harder choice, because it depends on several factors such as at what point in his career are we casting him from? If you start at the beginning when he was aged from a boy to a man in a matter of minutes, I think Tom Hopper could pull off that blank slate very well. If we are looking towards the end of his career, Ron Pearlman would be an excellent choice for the grizzled veteran.

Some of my non-DC interests are obviously being long-winded, poetry, being a fan of music, and obsessing over the minutiae of creation.

If someone hands me a slice of pizza with pineapple on it, I will gladly eat it, but have never gone out my way to order it.

5 Likes

What an in-depth introduction! Thank you so much for letting us get to know you a bit better, @Matt_Urish. It’s wonderful to have you as a member of the community and I’m very glad to be able to formally welcome you to DC Universe - even if you have been here for quite some time now. :smile:

2 Likes