DC Universe Community Roll Call: Tell Us About Yourself!

@Kirbygo95 - Hey there, and welcome to the community - it’s a joy to have you! :slight_smile: That’s a funny story about your dad giving you his DC comics, and your interest growing from there. :stuck_out_tongue: After starting with the Super Friends comics, what did you end up branching out to next? And did you end up connecting with you dad on other things, such as you love for Star Trek or Scooby Doo?

@TT2410 - A warm welcome to the community to you, as well! :smiley: What is it that stands out most for you about Arrow? And since you’re introducing comics to your daughter, do you find that you both have similar interests when comparing what she tends to like vs the comics and characters you gravitated towards as a child?

1 Like

MissInkBlot, thanks for the message. I only connected with my father through Dc comics Star Trek comics and Scobby doo comics. Other than that I have read and own every Justice League of America comic and Teen Titans comic.

I am very picky about my favorite DC comics characters. I enjoy certain characters in certain stories.

3 Likes

The thing that stood out the most about arrow is the storyline for me. I liked the CW version of arrow and the storyline they gave Oliver Queen. My daughter tends to lean towards Harley Quinn has her favorite character. I love this and I also like the fact how Harley has branched out on her own and how DC has given us a new love interest for the Joker.

3 Likes

Ah, I’m very much the same, so I completely understand what you mean, @Kirbygo95. I don’t blame you for being picky, and with that in mind, look forward to seeing your thoughts as you share them here on the forum. It’ll be great to hear your unique perspectives! :slight_smile:

I’ve been meaning to catch up on the rest of CW’s Arrow, but of what I’ve seen, I can see why you like it so much, @TT2410; they did a great job with casting, so I ended up noticing and liking the way the characters interact with each other. Can’t wait to see what you mean about the plot. :slight_smile: Ooh, and it sounds like you’d be a great fit for Harley’s Crew, by the way - you’ll definitely find yourself amongst many good friends, and many an enjoyable watch-along! :smiley:

1 Like

Where are you from? Born in Brooklyn raised in Cali. Pops was USMC so we got around.
What or who got you into comics? I was moved to the bad kid class in the 4th grade and my teacher bribed me with (redacted) comics :eyes:
Do you have a favorite DC character, either superhero or villain? GL (Rayner) Flash (West). Legit DC has always had the most iconic characters.
What comic, TV show, or movie do you recommend to people who have never read comics before? Depends on the person. It’s easier to name stuff I wouldn’t recommend :joy:
What’s your perfect casting of your favorite character? Ben as Bruce looks just like Aparos Bruce to me
What are some of your other, non-DC interests? I’m really big into art. My wife and kids are pretty cool too I guess :wink:
Do you accept pineapple on your pizza? I will unfriend u… Monster.

2 Likes

Welcome to the community - My dad was also a Marine! #USMCKids

Being bribed with comics doesn’t seem like a bad deal, that story is hilarious to me though LOL. I’m sorry to hear you don’t like pineapple on pizza, that’s unfortunate. BUT… we’re really glad to have you here with us!

Please always reach out to us if you need anything, we’re here to help.

2 Likes

I’m from North Carolina. My friend Abraham got meto watch Harley Quinn (the show) and I loved it (Harley forever), then shortly after, I got into comics. My favorite superhero is either Superman or Naomi. I would like Naomi (from Wonder Comics) more if I could read about her more, but she’s new so I get it. My recommendation for someone who isn’t a comics person would be Young Justice. My perfect casting of a character would be Mark Hamil playing the Joker but in live action and way older. I also like marvel, but not as much as DC. Pineapple on pizza is underrated

1 Like

Hi @supermanisbae, it’s great to have you here! I’ve always loved Superman, and would definitely enjoy seeing more of Naomi. And I’m sure Mark Hamill would be great (and terrifying) as the Joker. :slight_smile: Let us know if we can do anything to help you, and I hope you enjoy it here!

2 Likes

Hello I’m from upstate ny I got into comics because of the movie Superman. My favorite character is Superman. I love the tv show the flash I believe it’s an excellent jumping on point for people who don’t know much of comics besides the aesthetics. I believe Christopher Reeve was perfect as Superman and it doesn’t get much better than him in that role however I like all of the actors who have lent their talents to the role. I love drawing and comics and sci-fi and it’s not limited to one universe. I have tried pineapple on pizza once I was pleasantly surprised but it’s not an experience I’ve cared to pursue since.

2 Likes

Hi @richbrownart.5691 - Welcome! Superman is definitely iconic. There are a lot of people in the community who share your love of the character, so you should feel right at home! I love seeing that you like the Flash. If you can’t tell by my name, I’m a bit of a fan myself :grin:.

We’re looking forward to seeing you around the forums more, please let us know if you need anything!

1 Like

Hello I’m from New Jersey and my favorite is Batman

2 Likes

Okay, you asked for it lol:

I’m almost a 38 year old male, and was born in South Carolina. I barely remember it, as I’ve spent most of my life in Southern Louisiana, and just moved to San Diego about 6 months ago (I’m never leaving). I also spent about a decade in Upstate new York during my service to the US Army.

I don’t quite remember exactly what got me into comics, but I believe it may have been when I got into my uncle’s huge stash of comics in the mid-late 80s. I remember some of them having back pages referring to the upcoming Crisis(Crisis on Infinite Earths). First comic that I ever owned was The Atlantis Chronicles 1

Going off of that, Aquaman is my favorite comic book hero (I also enjoy Batman and Green Lantern) and Ocean Master is my favorite villain. Jason Manoa was the perfect casting for Aquaman(I would have dyed his hair and beard blonde).

I cried nerd tears at the end of that movie, just because they did Aquaman justice. I’ve lived my entire life defending Aquaman.

Outside of DC: I’m an avid surfer, pro wrestling independent referee (WWE style), Star Wars, sports, video game, and GoT fan

As someone who has worked in pizza for the last 3.5 years, I can tell you that pineapple BELONGS on pizza!

5 Likes

Hi @AquaRef82! It’s great to have you here, and thanks for your service! I’ve always liked Aquaman, too, and really thought the movie did him justice. :slight_smile: It’s great you were able to read your uncle’s comics. I hope you enjoy it here, and please let us know if we can help you with anything.

3 Likes

Hi! Friends call me Jenn. I was born and raised in LA.
I grew up watching Super Friends and flipping around in my Wonder Woman underoos. Linda Carter’s WW was hands down my idle. (Classic child of the 80s).
My first love was a huge fan of graphic novels- shelves full and almost all DC. I really knew nothing about the novels or men :joy: So…while he was out cheating, I was sitting at home alone reading. It was the characters and their relationships that really hooked me. I love seeing how they evolve and grow over the years.
Dick Grayson is the best, no hesitation. I really hope he starts to get more live action opportunities. Go, Titans! I think Logan Lerman would be stellar as NW. looking forward to WB releasing a stand alone Nightwing film.
In the meantime, Gal Gadot has been an impeccable WW. I’m so excited for 1984.
Reading recommendations depend a lot on why you want to read comics. If it’s for the art, and you’re a little older then maybe start with Kingdom Come. If you like character development then maybe Brian Azzarello’s work on Wonder Woman. If I was going to give my child self a first comic, it might be New Teen Titans-start early on the Dick Grayson crush.
:woman_shrugging: You really can’t go wrong.
Pineapple on pizza? I’m from California, so yeah. We invented that. Even better is dipping your pizza in ranch.
I’m really enjoying this platform. Thanks for bringing us all together. :blush:

5 Likes

Hey @jenoutmind, thanks for sharing your introduction with us - it’s definitely a joy to have you join us in the community! We appreciate the great recommendations you’ve shared, and especially the rationale behind them. Can’t go wrong with proper character development, that’s for sure. :slight_smile: What’s this about dipping one’s pizza in ranch, though? :eyes: That, I’m going to have to try. :stuck_out_tongue:

4 Likes

People will try to shame you; but you won’t regret it. :pizza:

5 Likes

Hello everyone,

Im from the Bay Area!

When I think back to what got me into comics, two things come to mind: First when I was about seven, my mom got me three trade style comic books – the greatest superman stories ever told, the greatest batman stories ever told and the dark phoenix saga. I had taken these books on long car trips and gotten familiar with reading comics at an early age. Later, around 2005 the movie Sin City was coming out and I bought the book Family Values and was immediately hooked on the series. I read them all right before seeing the movie and that whole experience of reading the books and then seeing the movie brought me back to comics. I got into the DC during Infinite Crisis and was also a big fan of 100 Bullets which was out around the same time.

Its hard to pick a favorite, but I have to say I am a hardcore Batman fan, I do also like Green Lantern (Hal) and have always had a fondness for Booster Gold.

A comic that I always recommend to people is Scott Snyder’s run on Batman. I think the Court of Owls and Secret City storylines are both excellent starting points.

Hard to think of anyone else but I think Health Ledger was the perfect casting for the Joker in the Dark Knight, I don’t think anyone will ever be able to top that.

Other than reading DC, I spend a lot of time watching and thinking about movies, I’m kind of a huge movie nerd

And yes pineapple is fine with ham or pepperoni

4 Likes

Hi @thrdman333!

I love hearing that your mom was part of your first experience with comics! You hear a lot about Dad’s doing this, and it’s a great bonding experience, but it’s nice to hear people have had that same experience with their mom’s too! #MomClub

I totally agree with Heath Ledger, he was so amazing in that role. I think Joaquin Pheonix did a really good job too though.

We appreciate you taking the time to share with us! Hope to see you around the community more, if you need anything let us know!

2 Likes

Hello I am Joel from Sacramento,Ca. I have grown up with DC since I can remember. My dad and I would watch the Super Friends together every Saturday morning. I have toy chest full of DC comic books. My favorite characters are Superman and SHAZAM. I love looking at the origin stories of the characters. I have also had the amazing privilege of meeting John Davey who played SHAZAM. I have a background in science with a focus on quantum mechanics.

4 Likes

Hi @b.batson, welcome to the Community! I like hearing how you and your dad watched Super Friends together. So many of the things I’m still passionate about I was introduced to by my family. I also think a science background like yours must be interested, given how many superheroes have science origins. It’s great to have you here! :slight_smile:

4 Likes