DCU Book Club-Epics: CRISIS ON INFINITE EARTHS (1985-) Issues 1-12, Nov 17 - Dec 8

Hey @Jay_Kay

Here’s more of that Big Villain Energy you mentioned earlier :laughing:

Calling people fools and letting them know what’s up!:

I’m happy Pariah can carry less guilt now.

2 Likes

Almost there. Really enjoyed this issue as we see what our new DC Earth looks like. The trip through time, with glimpses of DC characters, again with the deep dive, is great. We get everything from Bat Lash to Jonni Thunder. Earth 2’s lost characters are a little heartbreaking, Huntress and Superman most of all. And it looks like we can take Solivar off the dead list.

And Detective Chimp has some changes coming

4 Likes

I’ve got a few more to add to the list:
Cave Carson

Dr. Occult

Princess Amethyst - what does Dr. Fate see in her? I’m intrigued.
COIE%2011%20Princess%20A

3 Likes

I’m with you on that.

I’m actually excited to see her here in issue 11 and wonder if this will tie to her in the CW event. Poor Helena, daughter of the Bat.

These scenes broke me. They are so powerful

1 Like

I really like the comparison from page 1 Issue 1 to page 1 of issue 11.

Issue 1 Page 1

Issue 11 Page 1

puts Solovar back in the “alive” column I thought he was a goner after issue 3. People have a way of jumping on and off the dead list throughout this story,

1 Like

That panel of the 2 Flashes and Supes hanging on the edge of the abyss is incredible, and hats off to the colorer.

1 Like

A couple more thoughts on issue 11

2 Supermen and 2 speedsters on a cosmic treadmill. I can’t even wrap my mind around how fast this thing is going :laughing:

COIE%2011%20Supes%20and%20Speedsters

And the Anti-Monitor, being his normal sarcastic self: dun dunn dunnnnn!

1 Like

I’m baaaaaaaack!

Still playing catchup, but I brought back another screenshot from my adventure through the multiverse!

Glares pointedly at Marvel

1 Like

Crossovers have been killing off major characters since, as we see here, the very beginning, and I don’t think any of them ever did it quite like COIE. Kara’s death, for example, is about as far from a crossover shock death as you can get. It’s not trying to surprise you, because they plastered it all over the cover. This was her big moment, and you know it from the beginning.

Barry’s is subtler, which could be an advantage, but I don’t think it’s set up quite as well. Sure, there’s foreshadowing of the actual incident, but it kind of comes out of nowhere. “Run in circles around it” has been the Flash’s go-to solution to problems since the early Silver Age, and so, while it’s not totally implausible that this instance of running-in-circles-around-it would be fatal, there’s also no particular reason why it works the way it does. Really, “There’s no particular reason why it works the way it does” is a pretty good summary of about 90% of Flash stories.

I mean, don’t get me wrong, it’s a dramatic moment and a solid final showing for Barry, but I think it’s underwhelming and overrated coming the issue immediately after Supergirl’s death.

Eh, the Anti-Monitor serves his purpose. He’s a big scary monster that eats universes. He’s a little unexpectedly talky for that kind of character, but he’s mainly threatening in the sheer scale of what he’s capable of, and that scale in turn only really works because we see it through the lens of so many characters “on the ground” being powerless to do anything about it.

There’s not a ton of room for rehabilitation in any case.

1 Like

Welcome back, glad to have you! That’s a great panel, thanks for sharing it.

When I first saw the cover I didn’t believe she was dead. I couldn’t believe they’d be bold enough to put her death on the cover, I thought it was a fake-out and that she was just badly injured. I was so wrong :cry:

I agree the scale of removing universes is the most threatening part of him. I also thought removing Pirate’s face was pretty scary in the earlier issue. I like that throughout the story the Anti-Monitor does some smaller scale villainary like that. It helps to connect to him rather than just the cosmic-level threats.

I also like that I can just despise this villain and root for his demise rather than hope for him to rehabilitate.

In issue 12 we find out that Dr. Light’s action during the battle actually saved Supergirl from what would’ve been a very slow and painful death. So now, I think Dr. Light is a hero in the whole Supergirl final stand against the Anti-Monitor.

Yay Dr. Light :clap: I’m glad the story circled back around to this topic in issue 12. I can’t believe I didn’t think about it in this way before reading issue 12.

3 Likes

We are so accustomed to 19-23 pages of comic story that when a single one-story issue goes 48 pages it can seem like reading War and Peace. COIE #12 could have used more space to let every moment breath more, this book didn’t drag for a moment. There was a definite purposeful “no deaths” space for a couple of issues, so when this issues starts with the final battle the death toll hits pretty hard. But, first we have to deal with our heroes dealing with the aftermath of Berry’s death.

1 Like

We are so accustomed to 19-23 pages of comic story that when a single one-story issue goes 48 pages it can seem like reading War and Peace. COIE #12 could have used more space to let every moment breath more, this book didn’t drag for a moment. There was a definite purposeful “no deaths” space for a couple of issues, so when this issues starts with the final battle the death toll hits pretty hard. But, first we have to deal with our heroes dealing with the aftermath of Berry’s death.

This exchange between Wally and Psycho Pirate over Berry’s uniform is a killer

If you read this in 1985, you would have thought how poignant it was. Now, it’s foreboding.

No you don’t.

3 Likes

That’s a great insight. I didn’t realize why the deaths felt so much more intense. I think you nailed it with this :arrow_up:

For issue 12 I think we can add Hawkman to the death list

Green Arrow’s death confirmation is a blink and you miss it moment:

RIP Dove (Don)

RIP Lori

If I understood it correctly, Wonder Woman wasn’t actually killed here, but de-aged. Is that right?

I really loved Darkseid in issue 12.

He’s so hospitable:

He protects his turf:

He uses his tech to monitor the situation:

He sends in a deathblow without breaking a sweat:

And in the end, wants nothing in return:

Darkseid - You hero!

1 Like

I mean I think your dissolved into dirt you’re dead, but the book, says no.

1 Like

For which character?

Wonder Woman, like you said the book says explicitly “she didn’t die…” Seems dead to me, but I’m not gonna argue with the omnipresent narrator.

1 Like

With Wondy, it’s…complicated. They address it a bit with this excellent miniseries:
https://www.dcuniverse.com/comics/series/the-legend-of-wonder-woman-1986/4992854c-8190-40c2-a65d-40bafe1317a3
It still doesn’t make much sense, though. They pretty much just rebooted her from scratch, and the rest of the DCU doesn’t get to meet her until the next big event (and a fave of mine), Legends.

2 Likes

@msgtv OK yeah, thanks for the clarification. There were two Wonder Woman endings. One was de-aged and the other lived happily ever after.

I agree with you that she really looked dissolved.

1 Like