DCU Book Club Week 10: VIXEN: RETURN OF THE LION Issues 1-5

@Aiwa if the red guy is Anansi, then he is likely not completely evil. In mythology, Anansi is a trickster god. Mischievous, but not evil. I do not know anything about his DC Comics version, though.

2 Likes

@KingXcel Vixen (Mari McCabe) has shown up live in Arrow, and her ancestor (from the 1940s) was a regular on Legends of Tomorrow.

2 Likes

Discussion lasts for the rest of the day, so make sure you let us know what you thought of this week’s book! Next week’s book will be announced tomorrow at 12 PM EST.

1 Like

My favorite part of the book was the jackals. In my mids eye I can see a slow motion Snyderish scene showing just how fast she can cycle throu different animal powers . Streangth,Claws, teeth , and ending with the cobra venom spit at the end. It’s awesome. I hope DC dose more comics with Vixen.

3 Likes

Okay Professor Matt I’m finally ready to read the series hope it’s still on the website

1 Like

Thoughts on the first issue: the artist not only is he good, but their sense for how to do the panels for action is incredible. Watching on the automatic panel for Roku it’s like a movie!

Very interesting also as the first issue takes time to compare the culture that Vixen has in America with the Justice League and her fashion modeling career with the culture of the village she goes to in Africa. The unwrapping of her past is nicely written, revealing she was the daughter of a Christian priest, along with the mentions of her being away for 10 years and that she is in the fashion industry.

Nice ending to issue #1 where the villain is shown to be more powerful than she is. It’s turning out the advice of her friends in America was right, she shouldn’t have rushed in there without a plan and recon.

2 Likes

Issue Number 2 I’m not going to soon forget the scene of Vixen Mari up in the tree away from the wolves or whatever were attacking her with a half moon in the background in the beauty of the area. Cafu!

So more revealing in issue 2 about what’s troubling Vixen, the inner turmoil she has. There was some sort of troubling confrontation that made her doubt her powers …so an interesting meditation about confidence and when lack of confidence can just really make a muddle of things. A nice surprise ending at the end of issue 2 with the lion turning out to be a tame lion.

1 Like

Issue number 3 has some nice intrigue where even Superman along with Black Canary are disabled by whatever this new weapon is that Intergang is developing over there in Vixen’s homeland.

The concept of this small little Sanctuary founded by an ancient Christian saint that causes all animals to get along with each other in that small acre or two is a really cool concept, especially in the wilds of Africa.

Having Vixen be able to fly like a falcon without the totem is a concept that other DC heroes are exploring, for example, on Titans the idea is being discussed that Beast Boy could really change his body into lots of other things but the only thing he’s comfortable with right now is using beasts.

1 Like

Issue number for wondering they are trying to show I think of similarity between the worlds of animal man and Vixen but also brings up the idea what’s the difference in their two powers.

I absolutely loved the shock ending we’re Superman and Black Canary have been turned into zombies to be commanded really neat and unexpected plot twist! Zombies in the sense of people found harvesting sugar came down in Haiti type zombie.

1 Like

Issue 5, well-done ending and denouement. This was written a few years before New 52 I’m not sure what they did with all these plot threads.

The artist Cafu now does work for Valiant that again is just as stunning if not moreso 9 years later!

1 Like

I guess I would rate this 8.5 to 9 out of 10. A great read real different from a lot of what we see in comics.

I wasn’t crazy about some of the mix of religions, that kind of stuff. We’ve been talking over on the Discord site for the Book Club about maybe it’s best to avoid the big 3 when discussing Comics ( politics religion sex) because all it does is to get people way too excitable when we’re all there just to relax, have a good time and enjoy our common hobby and fixation together. But it’s also been noted on the Discord site how do you avoid those three things, they’re all a big part of life.

1 Like

Fantastic @Don-El great write up. I would probably rate it the same. I really wish Vixen would become a more mainstream character.

2 Likes

Currently prepping next week’s post. If you haven’t told us what you think of this week’s book, please share. See you guys/gals tomorrow!

2 Likes

This version of Vixen is the hero DC needs. They really need to give her more comics - in an African setting like this one. I want to see her on the big screen. I loved reading everyone’s comments.

5 Likes

I didn’t recall that the writer is originally from Egypt. Note that Egypt is portrayed here as a place to consider moving to to advance a career for someone in Central Africa.

She’s not from Egypt, but she apparently had a spiritual awakening there and eventually converted to Islam.

2 Likes

Also, this was one of the funnier bits I’ve read in a while. :grin:

3 Likes

@Jay_Kay I laughed out loud at this too!

1 Like

…“lived in Egypt during her early 20’s…” thx @Jay_Kay, I sped read that one…

1 Like

Hello - If you recently received a New Topic notification or alert :bell: for this topic, please click here for further details. Thank you!