Love cooking up a storm like Negative Man? Can you bake a pie as good as Martha Kent’s? What about tasty chili like Oliver Queen? Ever had a dream of opening your own DC themed restaurant? Like showing off how good (or bad) your food looks? Just… enjoy food?
Ready those stove tops, dust off those oven mitts, and get ready to make some kitchen magic! Use this month’s theme to create your own DC delicacy for a chance to be featured in our news section!
Birds of Prey (And the Fantabulous Emancipation of One Harley Quinn)
Just a few days from now a colorful array of superheroes will team up with Harley Quinn, arguably the definition of colorful in multiple ways. To celebrate this highly anticipated film, we’re making some multicolored CUPCAKES.
Now, feel free to just use the boxed cake and do nothing to it - nothing wrong with that! But I like a little more oomph to my cake, so I’m making some upgrades! Try it out and see how you like it!
Here’s this month’s example recipe:
- Boxed Funfetti Cake (‘Cause we’re fancy~)
- Milk (Same amount as the water suggestion on the box)
- Melted butter (Twice as much as the oil suggested on the box)
- Eggs (1 or 2 more than what it says on the box. Use the 2 if you want them really rich)
- 3 sticks (12 oz) of unsalted butter, room temperature
- 8 oz of mascarpone cheese, room temperature
- ¼ cup heavy cream, room temperature
- 2-4 cups powdered sugar (depends on how sweet you want it)
First thing’s first, make sure you take your icing ingredients out ahead of time so they’re room temperature! If they aren’t, it may split! Splits aren’t usually pretty…
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Prep your ingredients and line your cupcake tin with flashy cups!
- In a mixer, pour in the cake mix, then add the eggs, melted butter, and milk.
- Stir or mix on low for 2 minutes.
- Scoop or measure the batter into your prepared tin so the cups are about ¾ full.
- Bake for 20 mins, or you can insert a knife or toothpick and it comes out clean.
- LET COOL! Otherwise the icing will just flop off. No one wants that.
- Make sure the ingredients are ROOM TEMP. If they aren’t, the butter may break!
- In a mixer, beat butter, mascarpone cheese, and heavy cream on medium speed for 5 minutes until blended.
- While that’s beating, sift the powdered sugar.
- Incorporate the powdered sugar with the mixer on a medium or low setting until you’ve got at least 2 cups nice and blended. Stop the mixer and taste. If you want it sweeter, add a little more sugar.
- Split into two bowls, color each with desired gel coloring.
- Put a decorating tip in a large piping bag.
- Put each color carefully into one side of that large piping bag; try not to mix them so you get the two tone effect!
- Do some test piping to make sure it’s as evenly distributed as possible.
- Use a circular motion to ice the cupcakes
- Decorate with sprinkles!
- Enjoy before going out to see Birds of Prey!
Post pictures and recipes of your Birds of Prey inspired culinary creations in the comments below! Any iteration, any member! We’ll be picking our favorite to feature in the news section every month. And be sure to let me know how you like the movie! I really can’t wait to see it, myself.