NOW THIS HERE’S A WESTRN’ !!! Ah reckon the year is in the 1880s, so here’s whut ya can expect: Guns, Violence, Outlaws, “the Law”, Saloons, Showdowns, Sass-Talk, Humor, and the most na’torious Bounty Hunter in the Old West! If’n you go on this adventure, yore in fer a show! Git yer hats and giddy up, ya little polecats!
Greetings and welcome to DCU Book Club - Epics! JONAH HEX, All Star Western (2011-).
DCUBC-Epics hosts the reading and discussion of complete series. From May 29th to June 30th we’ll read approximately two volumes of All Star Western per week (the last week of June will be our catch up week). With summer quickly approaching, now’s a great time to saddle up and head to the old west!
• Stop by to share your thoughts, reactions, and answers to discussion questions as you read the story.
• Spoiler comments are welcome, but please refrain from spoiling issues AHEAD of the discussion schedule below.
• If your comments are issue-specific, add the issue number in your comment.
• Writing your reaction to the reading in an old-western dialect is WELCOME!
All Star Western (2011-) SPOILER DISCUSSION SCHEDULE:
READ & DISCUSS WEDNESDAY MAY 29 -TUESDAY JUNE 4
• Issues 1-6, Volume 1 Guns and Gotham
• Issues 7-12, Volume 2 The War of Lords and Owls
- Is this your first time reading All Star Western (2011-)?
- What’s your favorite old-western word or phrase?
- What was your favorite moment in Issues 1-12?
- Who was your favorite character in Issues 1-12?
READ & DISCUSS WEDNESDAY JUNE 5 - TUESDAY JUNE 11th
• Issues 1-12 (continued) PLUS:
• Issues 0, 13-16, Volume 3 The Black Diamond Probability
• Issues 17-21, Volume 4 Gold Standard
5) How does Dr. Arkham make you feel?
6) Were you surprised by any part of Jonah’s origin story (Issue 0)?
7) Who has a better chance of thriving: Booster Gold in the 1880s or Jonah Hex in present-day Gotham?
READ & DISCUSS WEDNESDAY JUNE 12 - SUNDAY JUNE 30
• Issues 1-12, 0, 13-21 (continued) PLUS:
• Issues 22-28, Volume 5 Man Out of Time
• Issues 29-34, Volume 6 End of the Trail
8) What was your favorite moment when Jonah visits the future (our present)?
9) Do you think Tallulah is a good match for Jonah Hex? Why or why not?
10) Which DC characters were you most surprised to see in the series?
11) Jonah changes in many ways by the end of the series. What event do you think had the biggest impact on him?
*Share your thoughts and reactions to the reading right here in this thread! There is a LOT we can unpack together in the comments.
**IF YOU ARE SHORT ON TIME
Tip 1: If you get behind schedule during the first weeks of reading, no worries! Discussion remains open through the last week of June to catch up on Jonah Hex-goodness!
Tip 2: Skip the secondary story, if you must. The secondary stories are compelling and build the world the story is set in, but if you need to skip them to save time, you’ll still be able to understand and follow Hex’s adventures.
Tip 3: Pace yourself each week. For example, read 3 issues per night for four nights, 4 issues per night for three nights, or 2 issues per night for 6 nights, etc.
Longer reads don’t fit your schedule? Check out our weekly DCUBC which highlights a story arc from a variety of characters every week.
Questions, Comments, Concerns? Feel free to reach out to me via email at JLonDCU@gmail.com
Whatcha’ waitin’ fer? - Giddyup!