Discourse Analysis of Geek Culture!

Hey guys!

I am writing an analysis essay of geek culture and how the community interacts. I am trying to emphasize the importance and awareness of this community to the members as well as addressing stigmatization of comic fans and comic culture.
If anyone could help me out by answering a few questions that would be so amazing!! Also please feel free to share any relevant opinions and comments in relation to this topic if you feel encouraged to do so. :crossed_fingers:

• How long have you been a member of this community? And did you choose to be part of it?

• What stood out to you about this community? Things you liked? Things you didn’t?

• What are some words do you use/see used in this community that non-members wouldn’t understand? And what do these words mean?

• How did you learn to participate in the culture? Do you write stories/reviews, create art/movies, or etc.?

• How do you communicate with other people online? In-person? At Conventions? How are these different?

• Is your communication different when you’re agreeing or disagreeing with someone’s opinion?

• How can you determine who is “in” and who is “out” or the community?

Again, I would be so thankful if anyone can take a couple moments and help me answer these!! Also I wrote my last essay on the convergence culture of the Teen Titans through the ages and analyzed their mediums adaptation from comic to cartoon to live action series. So let me know if you’d be interested in reading!! :wink:

1 Like

How long have you been a member of this community? And did you choose to be part of it?

Since August 27 2018
Joined because of Titans series
Started to add posts and topics in Community 1.0 after changing names assigned to me, which was based on.my real name. Didn’t know I could do that, so lurked for a while.

What stood out to you about this community? Things you liked? Things you didn’t?
Liked PC Daily.and Conmunity.Forum
Dislike
in Community 1.0.easier to determine what Topics were new or updated.

What are some words do you use/see used in this community that non-members wouldn’t understand? And what do these words mean?

The eras of DC Golden, Silver Bronze, New 52, Rebirth Post Crisis Flashpoint

There is a topic on DC First Names Association where you add a post based on.previous post. Non DC fan wouldn’t know most names.

How did you learn to participate in the culture? Do you write stories/reviews, create art/movies, or etc.?

Lurked for a while
Wrote
How to Write topics
Super Hero Genre History
Road to Trinity Superman Batman Wonder Woman
Recommendation of DC Arc for New DC Readers

Did a story based on weekly Wednesday writing prompt

Did weekly new comics published that I bought

Principal supplier of links to @msgtv for DC History Club, which changes monthly. Also Help to develop topics there

Answers questions

How do you communicate with other people online? In-person? At Conventions? How are these different?

Just communicate here
Can’t walk any more

Is your communication different when you’re agreeing or disagreeing with someone’s opinion?

No
I have a prose style
That looks like haiku
Whete I present
My statements
Piece by piece

How can you determine who is “in” and who is “out” or the community?

Different people annoy each of us differently.

I don’t like fans who constantly show pictures of themselves

And those who ask same question over and over

Angry posts where they want everything DC and new comics though only charged 8 dollars a month.about two new comic books

Sometimes a new member is confused because doesn’t understand that comics come here a year after publication. Or wants movies or tv shows licensed to other streaming services

3 Likes

Thank you so so much for sharing!!! I appreciate your perspective so much (I also joined for the new Titans series). I agree a lot of these questions could be answered in various ways by various people even all as DCU members.

1 Like
  1. I have been a member since November of 2018. Became a member for Titans and the comics.
  2. I like all the different topics and book clubs in the community.
  3. Mostly the eras of comics like new 52, rebirth, ect…
  4. I’ve joined in on occasion on book clubs mostly that’t about it. I also participated in the beta for the new community.
  5. I communicate the same way in all situations I guess.
  6. I don’t believe so I like having discussions on topics even if I disagree.
  7. I guess just on how they act, how they refer to the comics, or if they are just a downer about everything.
2 Likes