Doom Patrol: Beloved Misfits

I was going to wait to post until my favorite band of Misfits, the Legends, returned on April Fools Day, but Doom Patrol is showing me I have love in my heart for more than one misfit family.
Only three episodes in and there is more characterization for these characters than some series have over their entire runs.
Each has a tragic story fleshed out in flashbacks and I feel for each person. Cliff Steele’s bad ways turn to sweetness when it comes to his daughter and how hard it is for him to want to see her as well as feel anything. Like the tin man he does have a “heart” as he does care.
Larry’s conflicts with his own sexuality and not realizing how much he was hurting all the people he loved by not being true to himself.
The relationship between Robotman and Crazy Jane has been touching at times but not sure if romantic or more he misses his daughter.
Rita is still trying to grow on me but can relate to wanting people to like her.
I love the buddy comedy between Cliff andVic. Especially all the jabs at the Justice League and how Vic is all business and everyone else is like whatever. He will learn from them as much as they learn from him.

1 Like

I REALLY hope the relationship between Cliff and Jane stays platonic, and his feelings for her are paternal. I think in the comics her feelings for him seemed more complicated than that, but I think his weren’t.

1 Like

I am watching this show with fresh eyes since I have not read the comics it is based on. I hope this helps me to be surprised. I did the same thing before I saw the first hunger games movie and the deaths meant much more if I did not see them coming.
Still cannot believe Brendan Fraser and Matt Bomer are on this show at least in voice. Encino Man and Neil Caffrey together at last

1 Like

So far I’d say the show’s only VERY loosely based on the comic. I can only think of one comic spoiler that might apply to the show, otherwise I feel like they’re two nearly unrecognizably different stories. I’m happy, though, because I love em both.

1 Like