Doom Patrol Ep. #9 "Jane Patrol" Discussion Thread: Spoiler Zone! 🚨

Welcome to Doom Patrol: Episode 9 “JANE PATROL” discussion thread, where you can speak your blown mind freely!

If you have to watch it again to make sure you you saw what you think you saw, be sure to join our community Watch-Along tonight at 6pm PST/9pm EST- you can find the thread in the Watchtower section.

Was The Underground everything you imagined, or more? Were you ready to go there, or is it time for a nice episode of the 1974 Shazam! series? Let us know in the comments below!

7 Likes

Oh boy…a Jane episode…kill me now… This is a true testiment to how good this show is…If I can stomach a full episode of her, It’s hit a high point!

I love how they develop these characters in such unorthodox ways. I hope they continue to do this.

3 Likes

I was ready to learn more about the character, but when we finally got to the Underground I was just in awe of what this show has created. I really liked how they had different people playing most of the different personalities, it really worked for me artistically. I was so interested in seeing how they “really” are in the Underground vs how they manifest in Jane’s skin whenever she’s in the real world. Hammerhead was a favorite. And Penny Farthing, of course, was adorable. I wanted the episode to go on for a lot longer. It actually felt like an abrupt ending, but it was sort of like how we shut the door on a memory to deal with it later. Really great episode. This show is a masterpiece.

Saw this article linked on Reddit: https://ew.com/tv/2019/04/11/doom-patrol-star-diane-guerrero-on-what-its-like-playing-a-character-with-64-personalities/ It has a lot of Diane’s insight into her roles and she talks about mental health a bit. She is crazy awesome.

5 Likes

Oh and I forgot to mention by the end of watching this episode I was definitely ready for some funny cat videos.

7 Likes

This show is pretty impressive so far, and this episode is deep. It definitely doesn’t pull punches. Jane has to be my favorite character. Props to the actress playing her. It’s great seeing progress for these characters being made and interesting seeing what it costs them for that to happen. I don’t know if I should expect a tragedy or happy ending here.

5 Likes

Also, that chain saw wielding Nun!? I wonder if we’ll get to see that persona one in play lol

7 Likes

This show has been a mix of comedy and tragedy, and it has been insanely well-handled. But this episode took away the comedy, which honestly made it have even more of an impact. Doom Patrol is honestly one of the few shows I can say each episode gets consistently better, which is impressive considering I found the first episode to be amazing.

8 Likes

This episode shook…

3 Likes

I really enjoyed how they built the underground. It feels expansive and the various personalities were great especially seeing hammerhead and penny outside of jane. Cliff was fantastic and props to Fraser for even walking like robotman(he plays a guy who lost his body and reacquired it well) and the focus on a single plot thread was a welcome change(but honestly Jane’s underground had so many plot threads they didnt need to focus or split the story)

All that being said i didnt like that it still feels mostly like cliff is the one trying with the two. Jane keeps being abrasive and leaves anytime her bad attitude is called out. In a show where everyone is facing their flaws having a character who gets to keep getting away with being rude with no punishment even with a justified background.

But that is just my opinion on the character. Overall doom patrol is possibly my favorite show since B:TAS and i love how it continues to combine silver age weirdness with modern storytelling conventions.

4 Likes

Best episode yet. Very deep. In all honesty, may have been the best episode of any tv program I’ve ever seen.

3 Likes

This episode treats a painful subject well.

2 Likes

Doom Patrol continues to exceed my expectations! I love the funny moments, but the dramatic parts, mainly in this episode, reel it in as a great friggin program. This was the risk that paid off in my opinion.

6 Likes

This episode was a mix of Thrill & Horror as Jane kept getting closer and closer to well. All I was saying “damn it Cliff hurry up before its too late”, and did he cut it close. I seriously was getting scared for Jane. It was great that Cliff acknowledge his Robot self during the time when he really need it. Lets up Jane will be a little better after all this. Ask what we on in the outside I’m glad Negative came out and shut Larry up he was like “if your not going to crap then shut up I got this” ask for whatever it Cyborg and Rita were doing all that time guess will be getting our answer nxt week. This episode was great one of the best mostly cause I’m fan of Cliff and Jane relationship.

5 Likes

Anyone know what song Karen sings to Pretty Polly?

2 Likes

When DOOM PATROL was announced I was so excited i bought the annual subscription but then was terrified that they’d make this episode. Especially after Titans, but i’m so relieved to see how powerfully it was done. Even after seeing the trailer last week I wasn’t sure this was an episode/subject the show could handle and I’m so glad I was proved wrong. What a nuanced and delicate treatment of a very heavy subject. This is my favorite show on TV (or streaming) right now and I’m so blown away by how much more I like it as each episode passes.

Now I think i’m going to need to watch Negative Man Karaoke again to reset my wires.

8 Likes

When DOOM PATROL was announced I was so excited i bought the annual subscription but then was terrified that they’d make this episode. Especially after Titans, but i’m so relieved to see how powerfully it was done. Even after seeing the trailer last week I wasn’t sure this was an episode/subject the show could handle and I’m so glad I was proved wrong. What a nuanced and delicate treatment of a very heavy subject. This is my favorite show on TV (or streaming) right now and I’m so blown away by how much more I like it as each episode passes.

Now I think i’m going to need to watch Negative Man Karaoke again to reset my wires.

2 Likes

This was another great episode. I will say, I wasn’t a fan of them having some of the personalities look like Jane and some not. I am guessing it was a logistics one… if they all looked like Jane it would be expensive and time consuming to have the actress film all the parts… plus require even more special effects and any scene of her personalities physically interacting would become tricky. But if none of them looked like Jane then it would mean hiring even more guest stars and paying them.

But I just didn’t think how they went about it worked and there was no rhyme or reason to why some looked like Jane and others didn’t. Even acknowledging we didn’t know why just came off as a lazy solution.

But that aside this was a great episode. Diane Guerrero gave another great performance, and also while it doesn’t get as much praise for this episode Brendan Fraser also hit it out of the part. He has been seen out of costume before obviously in flashbacks and the like, but nice to see him get time to act extensively rather then just voice acting. And I love how he kept the same mannerisms as he had in the robot form, a nice detail given that it is a different actor in the suit. Seriously, I was not sure how I felt about Fraser when I heard he was playing Robotman, he is not a bad actor but never really did it for me and most of what I had seen him in wasn’t the most challenging roles. But he has done amazing as Cliff Steel both when out of the costume and when voicing him in his robot form. This feels like the role he was born to play and excellent job in the casting who cast someone I initially thought was brought in just for name value, and proved he got the role he should have.

I liked how the underground was portrayed as well as seeing Jane’s various personalities play off of each other. Although Flit (I think that is her name… the one who can teleport.) Have not “seen” much of her before but a valley girl blowing bubblegum bubbles was not what I pictured at all. lol.

I also like how they handled the parts with her father. I was worried given the rating they were going to show more detail then we needed to see on that one, but thankfully they had faith we can figure out what her father did without them showing us things we don’t need to see to get it across.

All in all another great episode, while Larry is my favorite member of Doom Patrol, Cliff and Jane’s relationship is my second favorite part of this series so I was happy to see it get so much focus in one episode.

And can’t wait to find out what Rita and Cyborg were up to while the others were having their fun.

5 Likes

Great episode! More of Penny, please!

3 Likes

@DanTheManOne my headcanon about why some personalities look like Diane Guerrero and some don’t is that the ones who do are the earliest/oldest personalities, and as the Underground got bigger the personalities got more complex or dramatic. OR the other way around, and the personalities who were closer to the trauma were more extremely divergent and wanted to look less like Kay (the body). Either works for me.

I loved the episode, and it finally made me understand Jane’s abrasive attitude that’s unlike the comics. If being at the surface is THAT stressful, and no one else wants to do it, and they basically force her to, well, no wonder she’s in such a bad mood all the time. And I’m so glad they seem to have confirmed that Cliff’s feelings for Jane are paternal (as problematic as that may be in and of itself). I’m happy, and surprised, that they didn’t try to force a romance, and I think it makes for a much more interesting relationship.

6 Likes