Drawing characters

How have you all learned how to draw. I’m learning by a book my friend got me.

2 Likes

Honestly? Pure trial and error. I’m not that good, but I’m at least proud of how I’ve improved overtime. I probably should take an actual class sometime.

4 Likes

Look at something and draw what you see.

2 Likes

@BatJamags
I’ve always done that, but it only got me so far. That’s why I’m using the book that my friend got me now.
@Beagle
Is that how you draw? Are you actually able to do that and do it well?

1 Like

Big post, because I love this topic! For once I won’t apologize for rambling! :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

I’ve never taken a class, but I’ve done a lot of self study and practice on and off throughout the years. Best advice anyone can give you for improvement: Keep at it!!! I wish I could go back in time and slap my past self for all the years I would quit drawing because of a lack of confidence, lack of time, whatever. It was all excuses.

Some resources/practices that have worked well for me, though…

• I studied using “Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain” for about four months. From the time spent with that book, I went from drawing stuff · like · this to drawing stuff · like · these. It’s a hefty book, but a BIG chunk of it is repetitive psycho-biology babble, a lot of which has been argued against and/or discredited since publication, so I think you’d be fine sticking purely to the exercises and skimming/skipping the text in between.

• About two years ago I learned about something called “deliberate practice.” In a nutshell, it means every time you practice, you pay very specific attention to what could be improved and try to do better the next time. Before I read about deliberate practice, I was just drawing everything I saw, all the time, without stopping to really look at my work. That constant practice did help me improve a bit, but it was also causing me to make the same mistakes over and over. Once I started paying closer attention, I improved much faster. It was stupid things like, “OH. The head always looks weird because I’m constantly putting the eyes too high.” If you can, I recommend downloading any free art software, snapping a photo of your work, and then digitally playing with your pics to see how they can improve. Like, copy and paste the nose and move it around, Change the position of an arm. Etc. Sometimes it gives you an “ah ha!” moment if something looked weird but you couldn’t figure out why.

• And I haven’t used even a fraction of these, but maybe they’ll come in useful : dA Tutorials , pinterest Tutorials

3 Likes

Deliberate practice, definitely, is something to pay attention to. I suggest keeping track of the things that are hard for you. Try to get more and more detailed about what exactly is bothering you. Like, if it’s hands, what about the hands is the difficulty? The flexibility, the finger to palm ratio? And then look for tutorials and examples about that particular thing.

Make sure you draw a lot and draw often. Push the boundaries of what you’re comfortable at doing, but don’t force yourself to do something you’re not ready for. Art is a wobbly thing that takes time and effort, but no one ever learns the same way. Once you figure out your own rhythm, things get a bit easier!!

GOOD LUCK!!

3 Likes

This topic implies I already know how to draw. :laughing:

2 Likes

I learned by copying what i liked and wanted to draw. I enjoy it but I’m no expert. Practice is the way to go. Once you are good at copying a style, you begin to develop your own.

2 Likes

Just…wow!!! First off you are an insane artist!!! Like wow!!! second you probably just gave me the best advice ever. Thank you.

1 Like

Thanks!! Very good advice

1 Like

Lol!!! Well do you attempt at drawing?

2 Likes

Haha, aww, thank you! I’m glad it might help! I’m totally up for swapping or sharing good tutorials when I come across them, so hopefully more artists can chime into this thread.

2 Likes

Sounds great!!

1 Like

my advice is, if you’re drawing a gorilla butt, take the time to find the right level of hairiness. too much, it’s not funny. too little, it’s gross. it takes years to master this one skill.

3 Likes

usually they recommend trying to draw from real life, but maybe not in this case

3 Likes

Lol :rofl:!!! Leave it to @biff_pow to crack the jokes.

2 Likes

Agreed

1 Like

it’s not a joke! i recently botched a gorilla butt!

p.s. i bookmarked your comment, @CynicalPink! thanks for all the tips!

2 Likes

i feel like a somebody!

2 Likes

Oh wow…totally thought you were joking. Um…wait…why were you drawing a gorilla butt?

1 Like