Favorite era of comics

See, it’s interesting that you bring up Bendis. I’ve actually found that his corner of the DCU feels most like those old late-‘90s, early-‘00s comics that I love. At least, that’s my experience, but I understand that a lot of people aren’t fans of his DC stuff.

5 Likes

Early Silver, but I wasn’t born then.

2 Likes

The era between Zero Hour and New 52

5 Likes

@Batwing52: Maybe I’m being overly sensitive with Bendis since he came to DC, but my main problem is his utter lack of understanding for the Kent family dynamic. At the onset of Rebirth Jurgens and Tomasi clearly delineated a wonderful family tapestry for the Kent’s that made Lois, Clark, and young Jon, shine with hope and spirit. Now their family still resembles a train wreck (Who lets their ten-year-old take an intergalactic trip with Franken-grandfather, and then turns around and allows the aged-up kid–ARRGH!-- to go off to live with strangers a thousand years in the future?). It’s poor parenting, poor storytelling, and a complete lack of understanding verisimilitude. I think Richard Donner would have a big problem with this current iteration of Lois and Clark.

2 Likes

Sorry for the above rant that was completely off-target, but I’m very protective of the Kent family. That said, Jon should be a very important legacy character, but he just hasn’t had time to grow into the role. In the '60’s this current Superman story line would have been offered as an “imaginary story”, and in the '90’s it would have been presented as an “elseworlds” tale.

2 Likes

Regarding Golden Age recommendations, I made a post with Golden Age suggestions earlier this week. Cannot post the link, but it’s Golden Age Highlights. I also made a public list of those issues on my account.

My favorite era of comics was the Bronze Age. Brave and the Bold, Batman, and Green Lantern/Green Arrow were all books I keep coming back to read.

4 Likes

You can find some of my recommendations sprinkled around this place:

2 Likes

Post-Crisis. Probably the 10 years following the event. 1986-1996 I suppose.

3 Likes

I like everything except his YJ stuff. I’ve always thought he struggles more when writing a team.

1 Like

That’s a fair assessment. As much as I’m a big fan of New Avengers, that’s one of its biggest flaws. I think Young Justice handles it a little better than that series, but the problem is still there.

2 Likes

I just feel like he writes everyone in the same way. Like, they’re lacking individuality or something? I dunno.

1 Like

Yup, Spider-Man basically sounds like Iron Man. Spider-Woman basically sounds like Captain America. I think he does a better job on Young Justice, though. Impulse and Superboy both have their own unique voice. Wonder Girl is also different enough from everyone else, and carries over a lot of her personality from the pre-New 52 DCU. Jinny Hex certainly has her own personality. It’s mainly Robin (oh, wait, sorry; “Drake”) and Teen Lantern where I feel like Bendis has most of his problems shine through. But, still, four out of six isn’t bad.

3 Likes

Agreed. Tim Drake is Robin. The handling of that character is most of my issue.

2 Likes

Late silver age and Bronze Age. 1965-1985 As an era, I think the best stories came out in that era, as a collective era. Not to say the other eras don’t have good stories, but that era is by far my favorite.

2 Likes

You can press the sideways Brainiac symbol (the circle with two nodes- one circle at 1:30 [45 degrees to the U.R.] and the other at 4:30 [45 degrees to the LR]) to share a link.

1 Like

That’s a good question. I think I like all of the eras of dc and I adore the early golden age of Marvel (60’s,70’s)

2 Likes

Bronze Age for me. 1970-1985. Great art, intelligent stories, and just the right amount of grit.

2 Likes

Thanks!

I think maybe because I’m still new to the community I do not have authorization to include links in my post.

You should be able to find it here:
image .

If not, this might help: