Favorite Superman Comic/Story Arc?

I like to mention Superman Birthright from Mark Waid & Leinil Francis Wu. Stand alone updated take on Superman’s origin. Good stuff.

6 Likes

My favorite Superman series was Superman: American Alien.

I am not a huge Superman fan and even less a fan of his origin stories redo. But this series is different and truly excellent. Each of the 7 books takes on a different story of his life from origin to being a mature Clark Kent. They are also written and use the artwork of different talent. This gives each one a different feel which dovetails very nicely into the stories as he grows, matures, and changes.

If you haven’t read these yet, they are very worthy reads and are in the DCU library. They are standalone books but, imo, they are best read together and in order.

3 Likes

Dude, did you check my username?

4 Likes

Lol! Indeed!

My last paragraph was really aimed at the community as a whole as opposed to you as the OP. But it is a great series, isn’t it? :+1:

1 Like

All-Star Superman is probably the best, and it’s one of my favorite comics of all time. If you like that, Grant Morrison’s run on Action Comics during The New 52 was probably the highlight of that reboot. There’s also Secret Identity, as I see some others have recommended. Secret Origin is a good take on the early days, but it’s nothing you haven’t seen before if you’ve read, well… any Superman books. The first ten or so issues of the Rebirth Superman series are great, but it gets a little repetitive and stale after that. I like Kryptonite (written by Darwyn Cooke and drawn by Tim Sale) quite a bit. And, this is slightly controversial, but I think Bendis’ current take on the character is delightful.

4 Likes

All-Star Superman is my favorite Superman comic ever. Also, Superman: Birthright, Superman: Secret Identity, Superman for All Seasons, and Superman Year One.

4 Likes

It is! I recommended it to my friends that are different ethnic backgrounds because much like Clark we want to learn more about our heritage but we come to accept the US as our home.

1 Like

I’ve never read the story arc that it is from, but your profile picture is awesome!

My Picks:
All-Star Superman
Grant Morrison’s Action Comics
Final Crisis: Superman Beyond

Silver Age:
“Clark Kent’s Incredible Delusion” from Superman Vol.1 #174
“The Amazing Story of Superman Red and Superman Blue” from Superman Vol. 1 #162
“The Sweetheart Superman Forgot” from Superman Vol. 1 #165
“The Lady and The Lion” from Action Comics Vol. 1 #243
“The Girl Who Didn’t Believe in Superman” originally from Superman Vol. 1 #96, but reprinted in Superman #242
“The Star of Steel” from Superman Vol. 1 #196
“The Day Superman Broke the Law” from Superman Vol. 1 #153
“The Showdown Between Luthor and Superman” from Superman Vol. 1 #164
(I could keep going with Silver Age stories, so… I’ll stop for now)

“Whatever Happened to the Man of Tomorrow?” from Superman Vol. 1 #423 and Action Comics Vol. 1 #583
“For the Man Who Has Everything…” from Superman Vol. 1 Annual #11

From the Golden Age, I really like Action Comics #3, 8, and 12.

As far as Bronze Age goes, anything by Cary Bates or Elliot S! Maggin is pretty solid.

And, yeah, The Death and Return of Superman from the Modern Age…

4 Likes

Emperor Joker

3 Likes

All-Star Superman, and then Whatever Happened to the Man of Tomorrow?.

3 Likes

I’ve been reading Superman comics since the 1980’s, but I sometimes feel I have barely scratched the surface. Sometimes I reread a comic/story arc, and come back with a newer appreciation for the comic/story arc. Perhaps due to an older lens :laughing:.

My current favorites are:
John Byrne’s Superman
Dan Jurgens’ Superman
Peter Tomasi’s Superman
Superman: Birthright
All-Star Superman
Godfall
Red Son
Last Son of Krypton
The Death and Life of Superman
Superman: Earth One (wish we had a third volume)
Rebirth Superman
Smallville Season 11 (I really loved these and tied into the series great!)
Superman: For Tomorrow
Superman: Strength
Superman: New Krypton
Peace on Earth
Brainiac
Exile
Trial of Superman
Superman/Batman: Public Enemies
Superman/Batman: Supergirl
Superman/Batman: The Search for Kryptonite

I’m currently reading Tom King’s Up in the Sky, and I have been loving it so far.

4 Likes

Superman Adventures by Mark Millar. Its not as well known as some of these, but there are some REALLY great Superman stories there, and they’re available to read here on the app :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

The treatment of Joe Siegel and Jerry Shuster by DC comics was for decades nothing short of criminal. Neal Adams also got involved in restoring the proper recognition–in the industry they helped to create-- that they so richly deserved.

2 Likes

@baseballmaniac01.45870
And all

Story of Siegel Shuster

Outtake for Lois Lane and Joanne Siegel

Donner meets Siegel and Shuster

3 Likes

Your wish is granted:

Great list of favorites too. :+1:

4 Likes

Whoops, I meant to say I wish we had a fourth volume. I have all three. Can you grant my wish again :heart_eyes:?

2 Likes

Would if I could, as it’s my wish too.

Thank you for reminding me about the 3rd book. I have just put in an order and will have this in a few days.

1 Like

Great topic! I’ve got too many to list but my top 5 have to be…

All Star Superman
Superman: Birthright
Superman: Earth One
The Death and Return of Superman
And the entire New Krypton run

1 Like