First Attempt at Digital Drawing

So…got a drawing tablet for Christmas…I’m still learning how to use it but this drawing of the Bat is my first shot at using it.

I feel like a child just learning to draw again, so any constructive criticism or recommendations would be welcome. (I’m using Medibang Paint but don’t really know much about drawing software, I’m not sure I love this one. If anoyone recommends another program I’ll be happy to check it out).

8 Likes

That is awesome™:+1:
Does not look like a first :sweat_smile:

3 Likes

Thanks!

More accurately it’s the “first digital art piece I’ve created that I’m not too embarrassed by to share”. I’ve had the tablet a little over a week now and I’m finally getting to the point where I feel like some of my pen and paper drawing skills are showing in my digital drawings". There’s probably 20+ hours of effort to get to this point.

3 Likes

Love it, it’s like looking at a classic Batman style!:grinning:

3 Likes

I’m amazed this is your first digital piece! Great job!

4 Likes

I’ve wanted to get a digital drawing tablet for years, and seeing awesome art like this makes me want one even more. :slight_smile:

5 Likes

I think this is a great throwback of Batman! Color is on point.

4 Likes

keep going, you got this. Its’s better than most people can do at a beginning level :love_you_gesture:t2:

2 Likes

Thanks. Except for the gauntlets I had Golden Age Batman in mind with the drawing and color. (Which is very simple to color which also works in my favor).

2 Likes

Looks good! What tablet do you have and which software did you use to draw?

2 Likes

Great job it looks fantastic! Congrats on getting a new pad! I just finished my first digital piece myself, main did it take exponentially longer than if I had just thrown some paint on her. Totally right there with ya on learning curve. Def Check out Krita program man it’s free and very similar to photoshop from what I gather.

1 Like

1 Like

A couple years ago I just doodled something on paper, outlined it with a marker, took a picture of it with my phone (or scanned it maybe?) and then colored it in with MS Paint and was very entertained by the results, so I feel like an actual tablet would be very fun.

2 Likes

I’ve never used Photoshop so I have no idea how it compares. Well, I take that back, I took a couple days of a photoshop class back in college but I left due to the professor being a jerk.

1 Like

It’s a Monoprice 110594 tablet, using Medibang PaintPro.

1 Like

Ah, that’s one of those where you are not looking at your hand while you use it, right? Those are tricky to get used to.

Very nice work for a first attempt with that!

Yeah, it’s one of those. It takes some time to get used to but it’s basically what they taught us as gesture drawing (with charcoal and a giant newsprint tablet, mind you) when I took drawing in college. It’s a challenge both adjusting to the quirks of digital drawing and the particular tablet as well as learning the sofware.

Keep in mind there was a TON of erasing and redrawing just to get to this drawing. But I’m feeling more confident now.

1 Like

Feeling encouraged by everyone’s comments so I’m working up line art for another DC drawing! I’m hoping to do some more detailed color and background stuff in the final version.