Green Lantern (1960-) #29

Green Lantern (1960-) #29

Books 20-29 are still very much Silver Age and not much has changed on the run so far. There were some pretty fun stories, and a few big stinkers (I’m looking at you Shark). Continuity does not seem to be much of a thing at this point. Star Sapphire returned despite being rejected in her first appearance for example (with a ret-con look back) and Pieface’s age seems to change a good deal (at least as far as physical appearance). I am of the opinion that the art improved quite a bit over these ten tales. I also believe that the variety of the constructs is improving. Early on, at least in my mind, it was often just a beam. Slowly it has been a larger variety of items and more clever uses for them. The ring is still ridiculous in most stories with the never ending solutions to everything. On the whole, I am not disappointed in the books. I do not love them as much as the Modern stuff, but press on I shall.

2 Likes

Hal finds the star sapphire gem near Carol after their adventures in issue #16, so I think the writers intended to revisit Star Sapphire. Generally, I’d agree that modern stories (and readers) pay more attention to continuity. I also prefer the modern take on the ring in terms of how much will someone must exert to use a it and what the ring can do (e.g. make constructs vs turning bullets to water).

1 Like