Green Lantern (1960-) #39

Green Lantern (1960-) #39

After finishing 30-39 I feel confident in saying the book has changed. Not structurally, it is still very much a bad-guy-of-the-week routine. As of yet, there have been no story arcs longer than one book. However the consistency has improved, the stories are better overall (I noticed the book is mostly written by one or two people now, didn’t think to check that earlier), but more importantly are the small changes to GL. The ring is slowly becoming a tool for Green Lantern, and not Green Lantern being a tool for the ring. The ridiculous things the ring can do still creep in, but it is more subdued now. GL is becoming the star, not his magic ring. The art is improved (again, I noticed consistent artists now, never checked earlier) and the action seems more cinematic. On the nuts and bolts level, I did not like the origin sotrry of Hector Hammond, but I though he was a great villain in this set of books. The Black Hand might be my favorite baddie so far and I enjoyed his breaking the fourth wall completely and talking to the reader (the exposition is still pretty cheesy in these books, so why not just talk straight to the audience?) Overall the stories just feel “tighter”, if that makes sense. Fun stuff! Pushing on then…

1 Like