Green Lantern (1960-) #49

Green Lantern (1960-) #49

I have but a few small notes on the style of books 40-49 as not much as changed. The “cliff hanger” finally made an appearance with a story spanning two books. Not exactly a continuing story arc, more of a “bad guy of the week” spread over two books. It also appears the writers themselves are being a bit more critical of a lot of the crap they pull in the stories. I remember one funny *note where the writer was making fun of how many coincidences the editor was allowing him to use now. I would say the quality of this set of books was the best lot so far, but it has been fairly consistent for the last 20 or so. One thing I have enjoyed in these books is seeing the Silver Age team-ups. In this run we got to see Zatanna, the Flash, two Alan Scott stories and more Star Sapphire. A Jordan Brother’s story now and again is always good comic relief and there was a small one tucked in here as well. After 50 books GL still hasn’t been able to close the deal with Carol and we ended this secion on a pretty big cliff hanger. A heart broken GL is threatening to leave his entire life behind and go…well, he doesn’t know where. Is this just a ploy by the writers or are we about to start a new chapter in the story of our hero? Is this really so long to Coast City? The only way to know is to read on; see you at 59.