Harley Quinn - Is she really crazy?

Dr Qunizel is a trained psychologist, is she really crazy or an evil genius?

2 Likes

She’s crazy, courtesy of the Joker.

2 Likes

I believe she is crazy, but a crazy that could easily be helped by a good psychiatrist. I know she is one, but she obviously needs one. I think one that can teach her healthy coping mechanisms and not to be consistently drawn back to someone abusive. She is not Arkham Asylum level crazy, in my opinion. She is not certifiable off-her-rocker psychopath crazy. I think she mainly picks that up from wanting to “impress” the Joker, who is.

2 Likes

Crazy in Love.

2 Likes

She’s smart but not an evil genius. 100% crazy though.

1 Like

Everyone’s convinced poor Harleen is crazy as a box of frogs :frowning: this makes me sad!

I agree with you that she is trying to impress the Joker @PrincessAmethyst - but she is clever and conniving. Harley deserves more credit.

Do you guys think, if something happened to the Joker, she could survive without him?

She’ll be better off without him. He doesn’t love her, he strings her along and uses her (read Batman Mad love). And she’s smarter than him! She has friends - she’ll not only survive, she’ll thrive.

2 Likes

She’s certainly a genius, and has a keen understanding of the human mind, but she’s certainly not without issues.

I think it’s also of note that of all the rogues, she’s also the one seemingly most capable of reform.

2 Likes

I couldn’t agree more, @JLWWSM! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I think she has some stockhold syndrome. Though that may only be the diagnosis for kidnap victims, I’m not sure. She has whatever the equivalent for falling for her psych patient.

She doesn’t have Stockholm Syndrome, read her first solo run, issue 5 the real origins of Harley Quinn. She did an experiment in college leading to her boyfriend killing her professor and than asking her to kill him when he finds out it was all b.s. because he wants to kill himself. We never get a clear answer if she did it or he did it himself, leading to the possibility that her first kill was well before meeting Joker. She becomes obsessed with Joker, getting the job at Arkham to meet him. Their first recorded session he begins to choke her out but sees a crazy spark of love in her eyes and stops. It leads you to believe she has always been a willing participant in this dance of theirs. Furthermore explaining that she went in knowing what he is with open eyes and that basically Mad Love was how she explained their story making her the victim(as she had done in college) to make psychiatrists feel for her in Arkham, spinning tales as Joker does. Giving her a bit of multiple origins as he has. It leads up to interpretation of just how much is abuse and how much is exactly what masochistic Harley wanted. A masochist will always find themselves a sadist. With Harley and Joker it’s an extreme of those personalities. Is it abuse if you’re enjoying it and getting off on it? How much of the ‘abuse’ is him actually being abusive and how much of it is because he knows it’s exactly what she wants? Yes, he may have occasionally taken it too far, making her mad but the masochist in her always coming back because in the end she likes it. Their relationship is fascinating for anyone remotely interested in human behavior and psychology.

1 Like

@Dcgoddessofmayhem How very interesting!! I love the detailed summation of your opinion. I think I would have to agree! There is definitely a bunch in Harley that makes me also believe she’s with him because she wants to be.

Her origins for sure hint at the craziness lurking long before the Joker pulled it out. If she were to “break away”, it would be more of a “break-up” than anything.

1 Like

My assessment of Harley came from the fact that I am working on becoming a mental health provider in my education. I agree with you @HarleysPuddin that she is clever and conniving, but that does not change the fact that she has mental health issues, in my opinion. Harley definitely can survive without the Joker. 100% Heck she has proven it from time to time as well. I think, however, that Joker and her desire to impress people warped her brain slightly and she definitely need a psychiatrist. Not from Arkham though. Just a weekly appointment. I never took her truly as an evil genius or criminal mastermind. Always took her as a confused individual that was definitely abused, but that has started to learn to stand on her own. Abused people often return to abuse because they think that is what they deserve, it has less to do with them wanting it in the true sense of it all. I don’t think she likes it, I just don’t think she knows any other way at this point, but returning back and forth to Joker.

1 Like

Let’s keep in mind, right before they began the new 52 Harley created a hand held video game system for kids and set them to explode. She gave them away for free and than blew all the kids up playing them… not because of Joker. It was her idea, her response to being told it won’t bring him back to her she replied she knew and that pretty much she wanted to do it and that she doesn’t care his opinion anymore. It cements her being a villian and a evil genius in her own right.

@kittykrawler I have always had an obsession with Harley and Joker, growing up on BTAS and after taking some psych classes I realized that it’s far more difficult to identify than simple Stockholm.