Harley Quinn origins?

is there a comic that actually shows her becoming Harley Quinn like a presequal that actually show her as the dr. For joker before she let joker get to her

Well, I suppose Mad Love would be the first time that was done. That’s the final episode of Batman The Animated Series which they turned into a comic as well. I have no idea if it’s on the app.

I know I’ve seen bits and pieces of her as a doctor, but I don’t recall where exactly.

2 Likes

There was the Batman: Harley Quinn one-shot (which is good at best and average at worst) if you want it to be “in continuity”, but if you don’t care, The Batman Adventures: Mad Love (which is technically in the DCAU, but it works just fine in main-line continuity) is easily one of the greatest comics of all time. Certainly one of my top ten favorites.

Also, @BatWatch, Mad Love the comic was made before Mad Love the TV episode, and yes, it’s on DC Universe.

1 Like

Mad Love is a good one. I believe the Death of the Family tie-in for Suicide Squad as well as it’s issue #0 has some flashback material as well.

While I don’t know if it’ll be release on here any time soon, next month there’s going to be a limited series written and drawn by Stjepan Sejic called Harleen, which will focus on Harley as she falls for the Joker, becomes Harley Quinn, and realizes she’s become part of a toxic, abusive relationship.

2 Likes

I’m guessing mad love isn’t on here through comics cuz I just search it and nothing came up

@thefallen50.35122
Mad Love is on here. I just looked it up. It is under “The Batman Adventures: Mad Love”. It’s the first result if you search “mad love”.

1 Like

You can also find it by searching Harley Quinn in Encyclopedia and going to her “Essential Storylines” section.

1 Like

Mad Love is a good place to start. You get glimmers of her back story in bits and pieces. For example, in Batman and Harley Quinn animated movie. You get a hit that she is likely Jewish, certainly using a Yiddish turn of phrase and still pissed at the guy who stood here up for high school prom. Also her desire for attention and singing ability, when covering “Hanging on the telephone” at the villain bar.

Perhaps the upcoming Harleen will give more contiguous look st her back story.

Interesting that the Mad Love comic came before the episode. Anybody know the reason for that?

From what Dini has said, apparently, DC invited Dini and Timm to do a special issue of the Batman Adventures comic that ties into the show, Dini told Timm his idea of a story showing Joker’s hench-wench as his former psychologist and went, “sold!” I think they figured that WB wouldn’t let a story like that be done in the animated series, so they did it in the comics first, and by the time they got to the last season of TAS, they were trusted enough to do it in the cartoon without blowing the censors too much.

1 Like

@BatWatch
It’s because Mad Love was a bit of a passion project for Timm and Dini, and it had some innuendos and was a lot darker than other B:TAS episodes.

1 Like

It’s probably important to note that Mad Love was the last episode of the series as well. I think Dini & Timm thought “well do it and get away with as much as the censors will allow. It’s the last episode, let’s do this passion project.” And by that time HQ has really become a fixture in the DC Universe.

1 Like

Considering the show was episodic in nature, I don’t know exactly if there was an intended order like that or not.