Home on the Range

Okay, Tom King is either a mad man or a genius. Everyone who read Batman #73 knows that Tom King loves to create bizarrely literary stories. I’m torn on the issue.

What did you think of the issue?

1 Like

Tom King apparently thinks it’s deep to have people dramatically punch each other during conversations. It happens a lot. Even Mister Miracle, which I like, has this problem.

2 Likes

I just want his run to be over. I want to be able to enjoy the main Batman title again.

2 Likes

King proves that there is a very very thin line between genius and insanity

But here are my real thoughts on the issue: It’s bad, but not terrible. As per usual in Tom King’s run on Batman, none of the characters’ actions make any sense. Thomas Wayne wants to help his son, so he helps Bane emotionally and physically wreck his son. That makes no sense. Batman trusts and follows his “father” (Flashpoint Thomas Wayne is nothing like Bruce’s father), even though Thomas Wayne helped Bane emotionally and physically wreck him. That makes no sense. Sure, the issue acknowledges how mad Batman is, but that doesn’t change the fact that he’s still trusting and following the man who helped Bane emotionally and physically wreck him. That makes no sense. It all makes no sense. This isn’t genius. It’s bad writing.

I’m not sure how much more of this I can take. Why am I still paying for this series? Tom King clearly has no grasp on Batman or any of the characters associated with him. Which especially isn’t good when he’s trying to write a 100+ (now 85) issue deconstruction of the character.

In the end, this issue is only a slightly less bad chapter in one of the worst stories ever written. Not one of the worst Batman stories every written. One of the worst stories written period. Characters don’t behave like this. Stories don’t function like this.

3 Likes

@Awesome_Squid I totally respect your opinion but I have to disagree. Calling King’s Batman the worst story ever is a bit harsh lol. You talk about Batman decisions and actions making no sense and this is a common complaint I’ve heard but to me it’s brilliant because if a super villain were trying to break you mentally and drive you off the emotional edge wouldnt you expect ones decisions and choices to start making less sense? That’s what I really love about This series and others that King has worked on, they are always cerebral, he asks you to get inside of characters head and see how they think. I mean I certainly wouldn’t know how to react if a alternate universe version of my father were trying to tear down every thing ive ever believed or stood for, but I’m also not the world’s greatest detective either lol. Sometimes it’s not as easy as “well this character would do that” or “That character would never do this”.

1 Like

“Tom, I got your Script for Batman #73. I just want to confirm you want me to draw several panels of Flashpoint Batman eating a can of beans?”

3 Likes

Earth2Micheal, yes I said beans darn it
I know Squids not a fan of this run, but I side with ragdollrebel on this one. It is a long form story in which individual chapters don’t always work, but I did enjoy this one. Now nightmare sequence arc went on way too long.

1 Like

@RagdollRebel I think that’s exactly the excuse that Tom King is trying to use. But that doesn’t work as an explanation, because it’s not just Batman I’m talking about. NONE of the characters’ actions or behaviors make sense. Like I mentioned, Thomas Wayne’s action haven’t made sense. Jim Gordon’s actions haven’t made sense. Booster Gold’s actions didn’t make sense for who the character is. Poison Ivy can’t do what she’s done in Tom King’s run. Catwoman certainly shouldn’t be able to do everything Tom King’s had her successfully do. I’m not sure why Tom King would ever think he wrote Penguin correctly. Batman’s illogical decision making started way before Bane broke him. Remember his overly convoluted plan to get Psycho-Pirate? Batman telling Catwoman about the War of Jokes and Riddle (which was a horrible arc by the way)? I know he acknowledged that was stupid, but acknowledging that something is stupid doesn’t make it less stupid. It’s still stupid. Anyone remember Batman trying to get a drunk judge to legally marry Batman and Catwoman? Bonus points if you remember that dumb story where Superman, Batman’s friend, berates him for not having true power like him. Not to mention that not even Tom King himself can fully explain how Bane actually influenced Batman.

2 Likes

@msgtv I’m not just talking about the individual chapters. The whole overarching narrative also makes no sense.

1 Like

@Awesome_Squid I guess we’ll have to agree to disagree. But I recognize that I’m in the minority lol I thought Heroes in Crisis was great and we all know what popular opinion of that story is like.