House of Horror - Week 3 (October 12 - October 21)

Welcome to House of Horror week 3! Don’t mind the goblins in the corner and find yourself a seat for another batch of comics to read as we team up with Renegade Robins for 2 books this week and return to a club favorite House of Mystery (2008) 3! So blast some Styx and get ready for another horrific comic filled week!

As we are in October, House of Horror will have a new event posted weekly. Once we are in November we will transition to new events posted bi-weekly.
If you haven’t joined the House of Horror all you need to do is click the “join button” here !
If you are new and would like to catch up on what we have read you can check out the House of Horror library here!

The first books we will read this week are the last two of the DCU Halloween Specials on DC Universe. There are 2 Robin stories so make sure to join the conversation at Renegade Robins for those stories. Then come back here to discuss the rest of the books!

Make sure to come back as we take a closer look at the history of the Halloween Special.

DCU Halloween Special '09 1 (2009) (rated 12+)

DCU Halloween Special 2010 1 (2010) (rated 12+)

House of Mystery 3 (2008) (rated 17+)

2 Likes

Glad you decided on the great Halloween specials this week. The sinister house books are a drag to read.

1 Like

Are you talking about the spin-off from the Dark Mansion books? If so, those books are not on DCU at this time. I haven’t read those or the 2019 Sinister House book which is also not on DCU at this time.

1 Like

It wasn’t DCU. It was collected as A B&W Showcase format ten years back. It was very slow indeed. It lasted a long time too.

2 Likes

Yes…I meant Dark Mansion.
Sinister was collected in the DC showcase…i just mixed them up.

2 Likes

We will be revisiting the Dark Mansion books at some point. However, with Halloween around the corner, some books are being pushed back but as promised, House of Mystery 2008 is continuing on its originally planned schedule.

@Kon-El there was a Sinister House that was released last year. Batman and Joker was on the cover.

1 Like

There are a few new horror comics hitting comic store shelves this week! We might not be reading the books right away and some of them might even be discussed in other clubs upon release. Think of this as a preview of what might be lurking in the dark corners of House of Horror.

Graphic Novels/trade paper backs
imageimage

4 Likes

Sorry about complaining…I’ve been a real (B)itch lately…Not handling things as well as I should be.

3 Likes

Doll House Family looks creepy af!

4 Likes

No worries!!! I wouldn’t expect everyone to like every book that we read. Thankfully, the way this club is formatted is to cover a few different titles for each entry.

2 Likes

Depending on the price, that might be in my collection very soon.

2 Likes

I just checked and I can read Doll House…I’ll put it aside till we get to it.
Thanks.

1 Like

For Doll House, we will have to wait to see if it shows up on DCU. The book is on Black Label’s imprint Hill House. I am really hoping we will see these books on DCUi.

1 Like

I have access to Doomed and Damned.
I gotta read that Garth Ennis Story…I’ll save the rest for the future.

1 Like

Halloween special 2009 was a real slog. Bizarro was the only worthwhile parts of the book. I want someone to come to my house, give me fruit and mow my lawn. I was so bored otherwise. The worst was the Tim Drake day of the dead story sucked the fun out of everything. I almost gave up on this book. The Bloody Mary one was almost entertaining. The thought that Bloody Mary was from the mirror dimension was kind of cool but it was still kind of lame that the guy who ‘knew’ screwed up and summoned her.

2 Likes

I did like the Kid Flash/MM/Bloody Mary story in that.

2 Likes

I Liked the Bizarro, Guy, Kid Flash, outsider’s and the one page stories.
Pretty good issue.

2 Likes

Just finished the 2010 Halloween special and it’s way better than the previous one. All the stories were pretty good and the standouts to me was the Wonder Woman/Deadman story And the Batman/Robin/ I vampire story.

2 Likes

Just want to add that Batman 237 is a pretty good Halloween story. We read it on msgtv’s History of DC comics group last year.

1 Like

I am adding this to my list right now!

1 Like