House of Horror - Week 3 (October 12 - October 21)

I’m gonna need to check out that JLA issue. I’m always interested in the history of comics so thanks @darkstarz.

I don’t know the first DC comic to feature Halloween but there are covers out there that are Halloween themed such as Comic Calvacade #12 which came out on September of 1945. Here’s the cover but since it could be offensive I feel a content warning is in order.

Comic_Cavalcade_Vol_1_12

@dogwelder9 that sounds really cool. I’ll have to check it out.

3 Likes

That is amazing! That middle mask…well I have a feeling that book won’t be on DCU anytime soon. Like you, I am interested in the history of comics. I am not sure if you have clicked the link that I provided for Comics Alliance, they go deeper into the parade by including the Marvel books at the time that had DC characters in them. It was an excellent resource in pointing out key issues that I have mentioned here. Furthermore, I am sure you are aware but I do like mentioning other clubs when applicable and DC History Club ran by @msgtv and @TurokSonOfStone1950 has been an inspiration for these little write-ups. I don’t have nearly enough time to write as much as I want on each subject, which may be for the better so we can return to some topics in the future.

I did find some other comics of interest ranging from DC Super-Stars that actually had the words “Halloween Special” on the cover but it wasn’t a one-shot or anything like that to some random team-up books, which we will be covering at least one of them in our future.

4 Likes

I have read that issue of Comic cavalcade. Actually I have read the whole run. By issue 30 it turned into a funny animal comic. Eventually, within a few years, DC only published Superhero books with Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman Green Arrow, and Aquaman.

1 Like

I’ve only read a few issues here and there myself. I was planning on covering some of them over at the JSA Book Club but stuff from the Golden Age didn’t go over to well in our first discussion so I dropped the idea.

2 Likes

This is sort of a surprise but maybe not. I have noticed in HoH that the older books seem to be popular as well as the newer books. Maybe it is a different crowd? Either way, I definitely appreciate everyone going along the weird ride here as I try to mix up eras as much as possible.

2 Likes

I will look into your JSA book club…I am a huge fan.

2 Likes

Golden age comics are a different animal.
Typically All-Star comics consisted of several chapters, each dedicated to a different member. It wasn’t a team up book like we know today.

2 Likes

That is very true, still, I am a fan of that set up. I think that is one thing that House of Mystery sort of borrowed from that era, at least the anthology aspect. I know it was a different beast but the idea seems to be there. Hmm…perhaps that can be a future spotlight, the history of the anthology horror comic. Also, that seems like something that will be in parts as opposed in one entry.

1 Like

It could be that or perhaps the genre of the comics themselves. Golden Age comics are a bit verbose so that is likely another issue. That being said I may try some Golden Age stuff at the JSABC again at a later date and see how it goes.

That’s what I like about HoH amd what makes it unique.

Feel free to.

All Star Comics was basically an anthology book of reprinted stories from other comics. Those chapters were stories that appeared in the members individual comics.

2 Likes

The whole golden age of comics( well at least all the ones I have read) were all anthologies. Anthologies are hit and miss.
I have skipped through stories I didn’t care for. Sometimes just after reading one chapter Tex Thompson(Acion comics) I knew it wasn’t the strip for me. But if it was a title like Superman or Batman I could read them all because those comics stuck with just stories about the hero of the book.
Like in horror anthologies…if it’s a jungle story I skip it…I don’t care for jungle stories.

2 Likes

It doesn’t seem impossible. I know a while back when DC was going to publish an omnibus of Golden Age Wonder Woman, there was calls of banning it or editing the original pages because it included some blackface and really bad racial stereotypes. Ultimately it was published with a warning, saying that it was unedited, not as an endorsement, but to try to hide and edit the blemishes in history is foolhardy and damaging.

Would that happen today? I’m not sure, but like I said, not impossible.

I mean, I was/still am in both but I just think Bonze Age books read better typically than Golden Age.

2 Likes

I enjoy reading both but for different reasons.

:man_shrugging:t4:

For me reading the Golden Age stuff is about learning a character’s roots. Where they started from. How their original creators envisioned them. How those stories are very much a product of their times just as all comics and other media are. That sort of thing.

Its also about seeing the evolution of the medium itself and how views on certain races and nationalities changed in comics to reflect the change in attitudes over the course of decades.

3 Likes

I think I have been able to track down the first horror comic!!!
Eerie Comics 1 (one-shot) was released in 1947. I will keep digging for the first DC one but now I have a starting place!

3 Likes

That looks interesting.

2 Likes

Joe Kubert worked on it which is actually pretty cool.

2 Likes

I’m really enjoying learning all this. I haven’t read a lot of horror comics.

2 Likes

I have never taken a deep dive into the history of horror comics before. I have done the surface stuff but never looked for specific stuff such as the first horror comics and to add it by a certain publisher really makes things a little harder.

1 Like

True enough – I’ve read a bit of the Golden Age Batman as well and liked those well enough.

I think length can also play a factor. Those All-Star issues were all like 80 pages long, I remember, that’s a LOT of Golden Age Comics to go through.

2 Likes

I’ll help you with the history of horror. I have a lot of sources and I don’t work so i have plenty of time.

1 Like

You are correct. Avon’s Eerie is the first horror comic Anthology.
The first comic book with a horror story was by Gilberton publishing.
Issue 13 of their title Classic Comics(1943) was an adaption of DR. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde.
I went comic book plus and there is no scanned copy available.

1 Like