How has Doom Patrol been so far?

For me Doom Patrol is better than Titans. It may have less action than it should but it is still a fun and enjoyable watch. I would recommend it to anyone one DCU.

2 Likes

Arguably the best DC adaptation ever and one of the best in the genre. Yup, that’s how much I love it

6 Likes

I’ve been really trying to formulate all of my thoughts into something cohesive. I’m working on writing something about it soon, so stay tuned I guess. But for now, I’ll say I love it. I really did not like Titans at all, but Doom Patrol is great. Like-able characters with multiple layers and dimensions, a diverse cast, beautiful color correction, fun fighting, and an intriguing villain that seems fitting for who he’s fighting. The only things I’m not super into is probably the CG (it’s not bad, just could be better with a bit more time and money), and then cursing. I don’t have a problem with cursing and I do think it’s a funny punchline at times, it’s just used to much. If it was used more sparingly I’d like it more. But then again, it seems to be based on Grant Morrison’s run so I’m willing to forgive it since that something he does too.

3 Likes

Overall, I’ve enjoyed the show. And my kids like it. I thoroughly enjoyed Titans, but my kids got bored of it.

My biggest complaint about Doom Patrol is all the language and sex. I had the same complaint about Titans. I’m not a prude or anything; I just don’t need love scenes every other episode.

And my complaint about language is like when I first saw Family Guy unedited. Suddenly, the show simply wasn’t as much fun to watch.

And no, violence doesn’t bother me. I can detach myself from comic book violence because I’ll never be on a situation with comic book violence. It’s simply not real to me. On the other hand, movies like Hostel really bother me. I’ll probably never be in a situation like that either, but at least it’s possible.

1 Like

Doom Patrol may just be the best DC tv show ever. I was only vaguely aware of DP before I watch the first episode but I was instantly hooked. It’s like I said in another thread, the stuff with the Chief and the Cavewoman on most show would be played for a laugh or to disgust you but DP actually made me think to myself I bet she just wants to loved. One review I watched said something along the lines of if DP was on Netflix it would be the next Stranger Things and I agree. Don’t get me wrong I love the DCU but it just doesn’t have the reach that Netflix does. If I had to choose between DO and every other DC show I would choose DP.

2 Likes

I remember sliced bread being a thing…
Then there was Doom Patrol.

4 Likes

Doom Patrol. Is. So. Good. Best DC tv adaptation, maybe even the best superhero adaptation rivaling shows like Daredevil, and Gotham. Don’t pass on this show!

2 Likes

I’d recommend going to the news section and reading the interview with Timothy Dalton. (He plays the chief)

It has an absurdist quality to it. It a fun romp that only takes itself a bit to seriously on occasion. (Mostly when it focuses on Crazy Jane.)

I’d recommend it. But, probably not while you’re actually eating.

1 Like

I have enjoyed the show so far. The banter between certain characters keep me laughing for days (Cyborg and Robot Man). On a negative note (no pun intended) I am having a hard time enjoying the Negative Man character. Their attempt to gain sympathy for him is forced and doesn’t seem natural. I wish they would evolve Elastic Girl so that she can be as formidable as she was in the comics (stretch to a tall height). Outside of that Timothy Dalton (Withering Heights) is a classic addition to an already enjoyable cast of characters.

1 Like

It’s… different, I’ll say lol

Pretty enjoyable. I enjoy Titans more though because of actors/actresses that I was already familiar with, the fight scenes, the characters - I like Titan’s group of characters more.

That said, Doom Patrol is one of those rare shows that I can rewatch often and never get bored of.

2 Likes

Very good!

2 Likes

It’s honestly my favorite tv show right now. It’s way different that other comic book movies/shows I’ve seen before so it’s very fresh. I love the cast too.

5 Likes

It’s deconstructing so many things. Super hero’s, super hero teams, villains, soap opera elements. They are putting time into character development and interaction with wickedly smart writing. My wife and son, who are not fans of comic shows really like this one. And Mr nobody is the best 4th wall breaker ever. Every episode is distinct and interlocks. Every character grows on you. Of course cliff and Jane are the obvious ones. But Larry and Vic’ s struggles I’m invested in. And Rita had become my favorite character to have developed. I could go on a lot more about how much this show has done…it’s really special. This is an instant classic.

2 Likes

I’d probably say ‘reconstructing’ instead of ‘deconstructing’, but otherwise I agree completely.

1 Like

Weird, sometimes hard to follow, characters are easy to dislike but easy to like as well.

It is, hands down, the best show I’m watching, and that includes GOT.

There was a review saying that the run is being cut back. “Creative differences?”

What’s the skinny?

3 Likes

Best show on any network right now.

1 Like

Very episodic. Each episode can be enjoyed as a stand-alone piece (predicated on a rude mental understanding of the characters and the main plot point of “the chief is missing)”.

It is a bit more interesting in its totality, as more minor threads are woven within. It has worked had at and is more inclusive than Titans.

A quality show. Well done DC.

2 Likes

I have been loving Doom Patrol. Titans was good but I definitely think Doom Patrol is the better show. In part helped by having a bigger name cast compared to Titans which unless I just never heard of them seemed to be mostly a cast of unknowns. Only thing I am disliking about Doom Patrol is that it is about to end… sure Swamp Thing will ease the pain but it is really going to have to bring it to make me find it as good as Doom Patrol is.

2 Likes

I was a little slow to warm up to Doom Patrol, and I still like Titans better, in spite of Titans’ flaws, but I do like Doom Patrol. Leaning more towards 4 stars now, rather than 3, or less, as I first would have rated the show.

MACJR

1 Like