I liked Aquaman, but...

I liked it a lot. Mera was great. Orem got his. It was “Throne of Atlantis” on a bigger scale. What was missing? Let’s talk…

2 Likes

More Black Manta. There is a spoiler thread that discusses the Aquaman movie and everyone says Black Manta was great, I say he had five minutes in the film, and no one rebuts it.

Plus, this isn’t a spoiler, but in the trailer, you see a giant crab/“spider”/kraken aqua monster. That isn’t the first time it showed up and the fact that I can’t categorize it means that I did not pay attention to it because that moment annoyed me in the film.

You get it. Lol. Right?

I want more Black Manta. But… I think they went to fast with other things. In the latest comics, Aquaman had a great story. Going real deep. We’ll see where it goes.

1 Like

It was sort of Throne of Atlantis in the same way that the Dark Knight Rises was sort of No Man’s Lands meets Knightfall. The biggest issue I had with it was the slow start. About a third of the movie was set-up and it was fairly lackluster in execution. Also the CGI used to de-age the older actors in the flashbacks was really subpar.

1 Like

**SPOILER

I have included this spaced post that way anybody who hasn’t seen the movie may not accidentally be spoiled.

I mostly know Aquaman through the Throne of Atlantis movie, so when I found out Atlanna was still alive, I am sorry, but I was disappointed because I thought the movie deviated from the source material. And then the whole “I have seen many foolish and weak people try to take the trident, but none as stupid and disgusting as you” cliche really bothered me. But, I loved the beginning. Look through a snow globe of a lighthouse that zooms into a real lighthouse.

End of Spoilers*****

1 Like

I don’t know Atlantean culture, but if Atlanna is still alive, then she would be Queen and Arthur (Orin) and Orem would be princes… That is, unless she abducted the throne.

2 Likes

True. Didnt even think of it. But I think she left to be with Mr. Curry.

Orm wasn’t evil enough. He should’ve killed Atlanna at the end.

3 Likes

I kinda feel like that’s gonna be Black Manta’s job. Given how obsessed he is with taking away everything Aquaman has and loves and knowing Shin probably has an idea of where Arthur grew up, I see Manta attacking Tom and Atlanna as the first strike in the (hoped-for) sequel.

2 Likes

It could have use less Black Manta. Orm was awesome already. Why need two antagonists? Flesh out Orm’s story and it would have worked perfectly for the ending.

2 Likes

But, it needed Black Manta because the movie tried to be faithful to the comics.

1 Like

Yeah, you cant have Aquaman without the Black Manta.

1 Like

Orm felt like a one dimensional villain I wanted them to put more character into him. he was cool and all but I wanted a better villain out of him and more backstory

1 Like

How was he one dimensional?

It was pretty obvious who’s the next villain is. I loved the movie, black manta and his suit. Loved every scene he was in but he’s the next villain. Give Orm the spot light. He’s the reason why Aquaman is gunning for the trident and not manta.

Patrick Wilson portrayed Orm perfectly. Give him a backstory to work with. They lost an opportunity to flesh him out. Can’t do it in the next movie since it won’t have much of an impact anymore.

1 Like

I agree about Orem. The actor did a great job, but the character could have had more depth. I get that. That’s on the writers. I hope they do decide on a sequel. There’s so much more that needs to told to really understand Aquaman. And Mera… I love Mera as a character btw… lol

1 Like

@E-Dot How did Orm not have an appropriate background? While there was no visual background for him, there was a lot of his background discussed.

Also, if Black Manta was not in the movie, then Orm would not have been able to accomplish his goal. Orm is from the sea world, Aquaman is mostly on land, therefore, someone who could match Aquaman’s level would be necessary and that role was fulfilled through Black Manta.

Plus, who’s to say he won’t break out of prison in the sequel? I think both villains needed more screen time because the interaction or “transaction” between the the felt forced whereas in the Throne of Atlantis, their relationship has long been in the works and clearly shown. And yes, the second time we see Black Manta in his alter ego (I can’t remember his name right no), he mentioned how the submarine scene was planned by the pair, it doesn’t really count because that submarine scene seemed to place his father as leader, not him.

“his name right no)” should be his name right now). Again, either autocorrect or poor typing skills.

Sorry. Orm… i hate my new phone…

1 Like