Isn't Cassandra Cain supposed to be a mute

And be an assassin trained from birth? Why even call her that character in the birds of prey movie?

4 Likes

I suppose we’ll see when the movie premieres. I’m guessing she gets chatty in the trailer?
I would expect some changes between comic and movie, but whether they’re good remains to be seen.

1 Like

Technically, she’s not mute, she was raised in a manner designed to take advantage of neuroplasticity to use the portions of her brain related to language to interpret body language instead. This gave her an uncanny ability to read people; it’s hard to fight her because, to borrow a line from Austin Grossman’s Soon I Will Be Invincible superhero novel, it’s like she’s seen this movie before. She was learning how to speak, but it was slow going; until she suddenly turned villain, started speaking in the traditionally grandiose villainous fashion, and was fluent in Navajo. But yes, aside from being asian and female, this character seems to have little in common with Cassandra Cain.

4 Likes

maybe they changed it and decided a mute character in a movie would be beyond boring?

I doubt that, foodini. Or at least, that’s what they’d say, and their true reasoning was that none of the likely many writers on this film knew how to write a mute character, and scrapped it from her character. So, potentially, they changed her to fit THEIR limited skill, not unlike a certain other writer I could name.
I was willing to give the benefit of the doubt before I saw the trailer. Maybe she says a few broken words here and there, I thought. But no, she’s speaking like you’d expect any kid to speak, even if it’s in a few words.
This is all so very tiring.

4 Likes

Cassie is not mute. She’s just quiet.

2 Likes

She gets to be quite chatty later on.

1 Like

I liked Cass when she rarely talked. But she definitely developed to be as talkative as anyone else.

Cassandra Cain was never mute. She was raised by David Cain to communicate through movement so as to make her a better assassin. She has the ability to speak but rarely does so.

1 Like

I prefer Cass to be mostly silent. It gives her a sort of Snake-Eyes vibe.

3 Likes