Joker movie and...Lon Chaney?

After watching the trailer for the new Joker movie, I was thinking, what if the Joaquin Phoenix’s character Arthur Fleck get’s the idea of turning into a Joker after watching Lon Chaney movie ‘He who get Slapped’ where Chaney’s character turns into a circus clown and later goes crazy. So after Arthur gets hit alot and think how would Lon Chaney act as a Joker, so he dress as a clown and become a Joker after watching a old silent film.
Lon Chaney always play a tragic character, will this Joker be a tragic Character? Only time will tell.:slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

That would be pretty cool. There are quite a few Chaplin references in the trailer, so I think that the Tramp will come into play. The line about thinking his “life is a tragedy, but now I can see it’s a comedy”, think about Chaplins Tramp in relation to the audience. The audience is laughing at the Tramps misfortunes. He never catches a break and the joke is on him, always. His life is a struggle for the audiences amusement.
Arthur Fleck looks like the real world equivalent of Chaplin’s Tramp. He is constantly getting beat down by society, “the jokes on him”. However, once he has his perception change, he will no longer be on the recieving end of the jokes. No, the world will now be on the recieving end of his jokes, cause he will then be the Joker. That’s the basics of my theory.

1 Like

Here’s a pretty meta idea: Arthur Fleck has his whole world perspective changed by watching Conrad Veidt in “The Man Who Laughs”.

1 Like